Air Jordan V retro OG - Nike Air - Fire Red/Silver tongue - May 2, 2020

I hope they retro these next year. I haven't owned a pair since the 07 retro which I wore to the ground.
I'm not gonna lie brother, you're gonna be waiting awhile. It's only been 4 years since the 2020 Fire Red 5s, and most OG colorways take at least 5-7+ years before they return. Then there's the other OG 5s we still haven't gotten yet. Disregarding the laceless Fresh Prince release, we still haven't seen actual Grape 5s and we also haven't seen Black Tongues yet. So it'll be some time before these come back. Usually I'm against suggesting resell but if you can find a pair for a good price, I'd go for it, personally.

I'm not gonna lie brother, you're gonna be waiting awhile. It's only been 4 years since the 2020 Fire Red 5s, and most OG colorways take at least 5-7+ years before they return. Then there's the other OG 5s we still haven't gotten yet. Disregarding the laceless Fresh Prince release, we still haven't seen actual Grape 5s and we also haven't seen Black Tongues yet. So it'll be some time before these come back. Usually I'm against suggesting resell but if you can find a pair for a good price, I'd go for it, personally.
Depending on the size these aren't even that bad. A little over retail at most.
Yeah I've been considering it.

I'm hoping the metallics come back soon, it's been long enough. But only if they fix that stupid tongue and put it back closer to the OG and earlier retros. Won't be mad if they put the 23 on the heel again, either.
I LOVE my fire reds from 2020 and wear them all the time, but the tongue is the one thing that drives me nuts about them.

Idk I could actually see these dropping again in the next 3-4 years.

3-4!??

IMG_2349.gif

They’re trying to sell massive amounts of shoes these days. We’re likely to see the most popular cws releasing more often. Look at black cement 3 and 4. They really have no reason to wait more than 6-7 years between releases.

You what, I’m trippin lmao

I’m thinking I’m in the black/metallic thread :lol:

I’m ready for those and grapes like right now. With proper shape. I can wait another 3 years for these

I'm hoping the metallics come back soon, it's been long enough. But only if they fix that stupid tongue and put it back closer to the OG and earlier retros. Won't be mad if they put the 23 on the heel again, either.
I LOVE my fire reds from 2020 and wear them all the time, but the tongue is the one thing that drives me nuts about them.
Since we're on the topic, when early pairs of the 2016 Metallic 5s were showing up, some had a molded collar that was treated in a way that allowed the material to kinda imitate the look, at least from a texture standpoint, of the collar on the original release. While the contrast is a bit overdone it would be interesting if JB/Nike decides to go back to that look for the next release. Not saying they should, but it's an idea.
1000005930.jpg

1000005931.jpg

1000005932.jpg

Realistically though, the next time they come come back it'll either be a reimagined release like the Black Cement 4s this year or maybe it'll be '16 Metallics but with a less bulbous ankle collar and a toebox more in line with the '20 Fire Reds, accompanied by an OG font 23. Tongue will probably still be the same too, sadly but hopefully I'm wrong. I know many dislike it. While I'd prefer to have the matte 3M look that the OGs and all other 3M 5s used up until 2016, I've gotten used to what we currently have.

Since we're on the topic, when early pairs of the 2016 Metallic 5s were showing up, some had a molded collar that was treated in a way that allowed the material to kinda imitate the look, at least from a texture standpoint, of the collar on the original release. While the contrast is a bit overdone it would be interesting if JB/Nike decides to go back to that look for the next release. Not saying they should, but it's an idea.
1000005930.jpg

1000005931.jpg

1000005932.jpg

Realistically though, the next time they come come back it'll either be a reimagined release like the Black Cement 4s this year or maybe it'll be '16 Metallics but with a less bulbous ankle collar and a toebox more in line with the '20 Fire Reds, accompanied by an OG font 23. Tongue will probably still be the same too, sadly but hopefully I'm wrong. I know many dislike it. While I'd prefer to have the matte 3M look that the OGs and all other 3M 5s used up until 2016, I've gotten used to what we currently have.
Need that detail on the next retro for sure.

1000005930.jpg

1000005931.jpg

1000005932.jpg

I can't even understand why the tongue change was made, unless 3M (or whoever) literally doesn't make Scotchlite material with that OG-style of finish to it. But I find that difficult to believe. But hey, I also find it difficult to believe no one can replicate the original black Durabuck but apparently that's impossible :lol:

Well we can certainly expect at least one OG 5 next year.

If it’s metallics, I’m hoping for the 23 in the correct font and improvements from the current 5. Black tongue Fire Reds are the most overdue, but so were the white/red 12s in ‘22 and we got playoffs that year and had to wait an extra year. Next year is also the 40th anniversary of Air Jordan, so we’ll see what happens.

Last edited:
I can't even understand why the tongue change was made, unless 3M (or whoever) literally doesn't make Scotchlite material with that OG-style of finish to it. But I find that difficult to believe. But hey, I also find it difficult to believe no one can replicate the original black Durabuck but apparently that's impossible :lol:
You know, I searched the stuff up until I ended up in a corner. The United States Shoe Corporation decided not to renew the trademark for Durabuck™ after it was canceled in 1998, as they had stopped manufacturing it by then. Apparently though, U.S. Shoe was involved in a merger around this time and in 1995 it had its shoe division bought out by a fashion company named Nine West. From what I researched they didn't seem like the type of company to sell athletic wear, so my guess is they were likely involved in the disappearance of the
original Durabuck™ in the sense that, they didn't need the material and as such the details on the manufacturing process were discarded.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure by '99 Nike was making its own Durabuck anyway as seen on the '99 Black Cement 4 and '00 Black Metallic releases. It was probably cheaper for them and as such could be why Nike didn't bother to try and purchase U.S. Shoe's Shoe Division and the trademark for Durabuck™ which would also grant them the ability to manufacture it themselves. Or, this could all just be a tinfoil shoe conspiracy theory and Nike is very well capable of recreating the original Durabuck™ and simply chooses not to. :lol:

You know, I searched the stuff up until I ended up in a corner. The United States Shoe Corporation decided not to renew the trademark for Durabuck™ after it was canceled in 1998, as they had stopped manufacturing it by then. Apparently though, U.S. Shoe was involved in a merger around this time and in 1995 it had its shoe division bought out by a fashion company named Nine West. From what I researched they didn't seem like the type of company to sell athletic wear, so my guess is they were likely involved in the disappearance of the
original Durabuck™ in the sense that, they didn't need the material and as such the details on the manufacturing process were discarded.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure by '99 Nike was making its own Durabuck anyway as seen on the '99 Black Cement 4 and '00 Black Metallic releases. It was probably cheaper for them and as such could be why Nike didn't bother to try and purchase U.S. Shoe's Shoe Division and the trademark for Durabuck™ which would also grant them the ability to manufacture it themselves. Or, this could all just be a tinfoil shoe conspiracy theory and Nike is very well capable of recreating the original Durabuck™ and simply chooses not to. :lol:
I could be wrong but I really don’t think Nike is making any of the materials they’re using. They have teams that source materials from textile companies. So it makes sense that if nobody is making a durabuck-like material then they simply don’t have the ability to use it. They could probably work with one of their suppliers and pay them to develop it but it’s certainly cheaper to just use the synthetic nubuck material that’s already mass produced.

I could be wrong but I really don’t think Nike is making any of the materials they’re using. They have teams that source materials from textile companies. So it makes sense that if nobody is making a durabuck-like material then they simply don’t have the ability to use it. They could probably work with one of their suppliers and pay them to develop it but it’s certainly cheaper to just use the synthetic nubuck material that’s already mass produced.
I hear ya. I didn't mean to say Nike is producing their own Durabuck, like in-house. I just meant they found a replacement that they could use and call their own, as we have no way of knowing who specifically supplies them with the current version of durabuck that they've been using for so long. But, you're more than likely 100% correct that they simply sourced materials from various companies until they found one that fit their needs rather than producing it themselves. Seems like it goes back to the issue of Durabuck™ and its manufacturing process being long gone, and Nike not having any need for it as they've found a suitable replacement for it.

Yes.... fire red silver tongues are one of my favorites but was disappointed with how quickly they yellow. The netting on my 2013 Grape 5's look better than the 2020 fire reds. Maybe JB used a different netting material on the 2020 pair.

20240324_2315262345.jpg

How were those '13 retros? I heard they were terrible compared to the '06 release.

I hear ya. I didn't mean to say Nike is producing their own Durabuck, like in-house. I just meant they found a replacement that they could use and call their own, as we have no way of knowing who specifically supplies them with the current version of durabuck that they've been using for so long. But, you're more than likely 100% correct that they simply sourced materials from various companies until they found one that fit their needs rather than producing it themselves. Seems like it goes back to the issue of Durabuck™ and its manufacturing process being long gone, and Nike not having any need for it as they've found a suitable replacement for it.

Ya I remember you researching it those few years back. I was being a bit sarcastic when I said apparently it’s impossible. I’m sure someone could replicate it fairly accurately if they really wanted to. But since there’s the black Nubuck crap available as a substitute, no one there cares enough to bother or argue for the investment or finding a supplier. It sucks but I get it from a business standpoint. Once upon a time, loads of black Nikes used that Durabuck. But with the way new models are made today, from yarn and plastic etc., there’s not a lot of reason to go to the trouble for a handful of sporadic retros of black ‘90s bball shoes. I suspect, anyway.

Back
Top Bottom