All Things Sports Media Thread!!

Damn fantasy killing it 
eek.gif
 ...I hardly ever read those type of articles so I had no idea those were so popular. 
mean.gif
 @ the nationals meltdown 

Huh?

You realize the job market for journalism like this is terrible right now, right? Everybody has a low attention span now and wants "articles" written in Top 10 lists

And I don't think Grantland has any "older" people. I honestly don't think they had anybody on the staff that was over 45.

It's never cool when anybody gets laid off. What an odd stance and angle to come away from this. :stoneface:

Most have already found a new gig. Many did before the site was shut down. And I wasn't talking about Grantland with the other people who got laid off. I was referring to general ESPN employees.

I understand why, but it's still a shame.

Grantland has been the home of some of my favorite writing for sports and pop culture the last few years. It wasn't going to be the same once some of the staff started to leave, but I wasn't expecting it to be killed so quickly.

Disappointing that their brand and style wasn't going to be as popular as ESPN needed it to be.. I'm not surprised, but still disappointing.

Dope seeing how respected the brand was in the industry. A lot of love from all directions

I stopped frequenting grantland as soon as Simmons left, and ironically I'm not even the biggest fan of his. The quality went down, and as much as I love Lowe, his post's are at times a little too dense for me on certain topics. I don't want to read 20 paragraphs about Charlotte's pick and roll implementation. 

It doesn't make any money. That's why ESPN is dumping it in the first place.

If that is the reason ESPN is dumping it it's an incrdibly myopic viewpoint to take.

Does ESPN really want to become just a dumb pipe that feeds you it's broadcasts rights? When you do that you eliminate all brand loyalty and you are susceptible to a company with more money than you just buy up all those broadcasts rights.

Like what happens if Apple says **** it, we are going spend the money it takes to build a television and get the content, with their huge war chest they could outbid ESPN for any broadcast rights, if that happens what reason would anyone have to stick with ESPN.

Things like Grantland promote a brand loyalty that can't be measured in pure dollars a cents.

If that is the reason ESPN is dumping it it's an incrdibly myopic viewpoint to take.

Does ESPN really want to become just a dumb pipe that feeds you it's broadcasts rights? When you do that you eliminate all brand loyalty and you are susceptible to a company with more money than you just buy up all those broadcasts rights.

Like what happens if Apple says **** it, we are going spend the money it takes to build a television and get the content, with their huge war chest they could outbid ESPN for any broadcast rights, if that happens what reason would anyone have to stick with ESPN.

Things like Grantland promote a brand loyalty that can't be measured in pure dollars a cents.

Quality always wins long-term but the short-term, results-oriented focus of capitalism obscures that.

It's a good point, but it's fairly clear the mandate from Disney is saving money, and for ESPN, they'd rather still shell out big money for the First Takes and Fantasy and all the other dumb coverage they throw out there of whatever new "scandal" like deflategate.

The brand loyalty is particularly important when I think about ESPN. I used to love watching Sportscenter, ATH, PTI, etc. because of the personalities and it didn't feel overstuffed with nonsense. I slowly stopped watching to the point that I only tune in now for games. Same with Grantland. It gave me a reason to visit an ESPN site, short of a breaking news story, I don't plan on reading ESPN.com any time soon.

Yes, technically any major corporation could get into a bidding war with ESPN, if it was just about the ability to pay for it. That's not how it works though. Also, current rights holders retain exclusive negotiating rights for renewal. The NBA didn't even get to the point of negotiating with other networks because they gladly took ESPN's $1 billion per year. Not only would Apple (in your example) never even get in the room, but NBC and Fox Sports didn't get in there either.

As for brand loyalty, what brand loyalty? ESPN fired the guy who ran the damn thing. Once Simmons left, the spirit of the site was dead. It meandered along for a few months but was never the same. A huge chunk of the staff everyone had become familiar with left. There wasn't much to remain loyal to other than a name and a handful of writers.

Back
Top Bottom