An Original Black Experience, in the U.S, free from Eurocentric standards?

Is it possible?

Does and can such an experience exist?

Or will "blackness" in America be forever and intimately, for better or worse, tied to "whiteness", Eurocentric ideals and standards?

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Before I elaborate, let me preface by saying that this is NOT my h/w assignment that I am thrusting upon y'all...
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
[/color]

I ask because, in the "Dizzy scam" thread, a link was posted that led me to another link, that led me to another link, that led me to another link (you know how it is) which brought to the site and the pictures/images that spurred the question I have put forth to y'all.

The site, some of y'all might be familiar with, as the creators themselves are members of our esteemed NT community, is streetetiquette .

I was browsing about when I noticed this featured, visual, article called the Black Ivy; the point of which I surmise is to highlight one particular culture of fashion within academia, or perhaps the influence and/or resurgence of that particular culture into the upper echelons of what is considered "cool" and/or sophisticated by our generation nowadays. IDK, I'm just assuming.

As I went through this article, three things became clear. First is the fact that these dudes were all well put together (no ayo, I'm speaking clothing wise); second is the fact that they are all "brotha's"; and third is the fact that much of what they're wearing is rooted in a European "heritage" and fashion lineage (I see the Kente scarf though...
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
).

Now I am not one to "hate" or criticize, but I just found it interesting that this is what this group of black men chose to highlight. I mean, their selections were more than appropriate in keeping with the theme of "Ivy", but just as well there seems to be some tension (at least to me) concerning the "black" part. Essentially "Black Ivy", as I am reading it, is wholly inspired by white tastes in fashion and academic spaces that have historically been, and continue to be, largely, white spaces?

And then this got me even thinking some more, about just how entwined blackness and whiteness are (in the present example, "black" ivy is largely defined by white standards). Seeing as how "whiteness" is standard by which everything is compared to/defined by, is it possible to have a genuine black experience that is unhinged from whiteness? This same question applies and extends to every other "race". I chose black only because of the long fraternal history between the two groups.

Is it possible?

Is it possible?

Does and can such an experience exist?

Or will "blackness" in America be forever and intimately, for better or worse, tied to "whiteness", Eurocentric ideals and standards?

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Before I elaborate, let me preface by saying that this is NOT my h/w assignment that I am thrusting upon y'all...
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
[/color]

I ask because, in the "Dizzy scam" thread, a link was posted that led me to another link, that led me to another link, that led me to another link (you know how it is) which brought to the site and the pictures/images that spurred the question I have put forth to y'all.

The site, some of y'all might be familiar with, as the creators themselves are members of our esteemed NT community, is streetetiquette .

I was browsing about when I noticed this featured, visual, article called the Black Ivy; the point of which I surmise is to highlight one particular culture of fashion within academia, or perhaps the influence and/or resurgence of that particular culture into the upper echelons of what is considered "cool" and/or sophisticated by our generation nowadays. IDK, I'm just assuming.

As I went through this article, three things became clear. First is the fact that these dudes were all well put together (no ayo, I'm speaking clothing wise); second is the fact that they are all "brotha's"; and third is the fact that much of what they're wearing is rooted in a European "heritage" and fashion lineage (I see the Kente scarf though...
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
).

Now I am not one to "hate" or criticize, but I just found it interesting that this is what this group of black men chose to highlight. I mean, their selections were more than appropriate in keeping with the theme of "Ivy", but just as well there seems to be some tension (at least to me) concerning the "black" part. Essentially "Black Ivy", as I am reading it, is wholly inspired by white tastes in fashion and academic spaces that have historically been, and continue to be, largely, white spaces?

And then this got me even thinking some more, about just how entwined blackness and whiteness are (in the present example, "black" ivy is largely defined by white standards). Seeing as how "whiteness" is standard by which everything is compared to/defined by, is it possible to have a genuine black experience that is unhinged from whiteness? This same question applies and extends to every other "race". I chose black only because of the long fraternal history between the two groups.

Is it possible?

wait what?

are you saying all black folk are brainwashed that live in america by whites?

you can't speak of such nonsense on internet forums.....

they'll get you........

*runs through cotton field at night with lighted candle*

wait what?

are you saying all black folk are brainwashed that live in america by whites?

you can't speak of such nonsense on internet forums.....

they'll get you........

*runs through cotton field at night with lighted candle*

Do you think any culture exists outside of the influences of others? I don't believe that at all.

Do you think any culture exists outside of the influences of others? I don't believe that at all.

No, not now at least cuz we dont even have the power to control our own culture. Once blacks and other minorities "get their ppiece of the pie" if you will, then we can focus on HUMANess and not blackness and whiteness.

No, not now at least cuz we dont even have the power to control our own culture. Once blacks and other minorities "get their ppiece of the pie" if you will, then we can focus on HUMANess and not blackness and whiteness.

Man, I'm glad I went to college in the late 90's early 2000's. We had our own style back then. Now we just copy white people.

I'm not knocking it, though. Part of me understands that it's progress, we look more professional and some of the gear we rocked back in the day was a little ridiculous.

But there was something about the hip hop clothing movement from 1995 - 2004 that was so cool. Especially since a lot of the companies were black owned.

As far as the original question, of course you can't live in this country and not be impacted by white culture. You also can't live in this country and not be impacted by black culture. We're all interconnected.

Man, I'm glad I went to college in the late 90's early 2000's. We had our own style back then. Now we just copy white people.

I'm not knocking it, though. Part of me understands that it's progress, we look more professional and some of the gear we rocked back in the day was a little ridiculous.

But there was something about the hip hop clothing movement from 1995 - 2004 that was so cool. Especially since a lot of the companies were black owned.

As far as the original question, of course you can't live in this country and not be impacted by white culture. You also can't live in this country and not be impacted by black culture. We're all interconnected.

It's possible once we get away from a color superiority system which is based on only external things. All of this is a product of norms created within corporate culture. Corporate in every sense of the term and also in the fact that majority of our nations resources, energy, and talent go to propping up corporate bodies who are given more legal rights and social mobility than an actual breathing living being. Corporatism has shaped everything in our society from fashion to education. So as our society moves from a corporate base to a more production economy base, agricultural or anything away from where we are at now, we will see a change. Problem is that our culture really hasn't made any big moves as a whole. All the promises we have been made for change from all of our leaders have just been lip service. We've been doing the same thing for a minute. I'm pretty sure the predictions of how advanced we would be come 2011 look nothing like what we have here now.

Once corporatism and all it's done to keep the world in the same place fails, we will begin to see things differently. Until then we will continue to pour our resources into these dead dinosaurs as life support and get nothing back.

It's possible once we get away from a color superiority system which is based on only external things. All of this is a product of norms created within corporate culture. Corporate in every sense of the term and also in the fact that majority of our nations resources, energy, and talent go to propping up corporate bodies who are given more legal rights and social mobility than an actual breathing living being. Corporatism has shaped everything in our society from fashion to education. So as our society moves from a corporate base to a more production economy base, agricultural or anything away from where we are at now, we will see a change. Problem is that our culture really hasn't made any big moves as a whole. All the promises we have been made for change from all of our leaders have just been lip service. We've been doing the same thing for a minute. I'm pretty sure the predictions of how advanced we would be come 2011 look nothing like what we have here now.

Once corporatism and all it's done to keep the world in the same place fails, we will begin to see things differently. Until then we will continue to pour our resources into these dead dinosaurs as life support and get nothing back.

Originally Posted by ninjahood

Originally Posted by The Yes Guy

plenty exist....
unless they are in extremely remote areas of the world, I highly doubt it

Originally Posted by ninjahood

Originally Posted by The Yes Guy

plenty exist....
unless they are in extremely remote areas of the world, I highly doubt it

Originally Posted by North Dade Represent

But was the hip hop clothing movement even "original"?

Tommy Hilfiger, Nautica, Polo, Versace, Gucci, Louis, and the list goes on and on.

Sure, there were things like Enyce, Fubu, Karl Kani and the whole host of em, but how long did those last? Hip hop simply gravitated back toward the European inspired and derived clothing and accessories.

Originally Posted by North Dade Represent

But was the hip hop clothing movement even "original"?

Tommy Hilfiger, Nautica, Polo, Versace, Gucci, Louis, and the list goes on and on.

Sure, there were things like Enyce, Fubu, Karl Kani and the whole host of em, but how long did those last? Hip hop simply gravitated back toward the European inspired and derived clothing and accessories.

Back
Top Bottom