Anyone here 24 or 25 years old still in College since they graduated from High School?

I'm 25 years old and I been in College since I graduated in high school in 2005 and I am kind of discouraged now. I first started at a Community College from Fall 05 to Spring 2010. Then I went to University Of Maryland in the fall of 2010 for one semester. I left there because it was a bit to big for me to handle as far as the classes, so I been at Bowie state since Spring 2011. Oh yeah, I have never had a break either by the way. I guess i will be graduating in the Spring of 2013. The whole moral to this post is that I feel so behind compared to people that I graduated from high school with graduated back in 09. Then what makes it worst is that a lo of my classes have people that graduated in high school in 2008-2010 and it be so weird to socialize with them because their mindsets are so different then mines. Anyone who is in this situation, do you guys feel discouraged because you been in college for this long? It is so bad that I be afraid to tell people how old I am. Also, it be really weird to try to talk to the ladies due to their age..SMH. What are your thoughts on this? 

21 yr old but in a similar area. I don't feel discouraged mostly cause some of my friends have spent year do doing undergrad work or at a community college as well.
I look back and wish the 4yr thing had stayed on track
I do understand what you feel about friends having already graduated much quicker and I feel left out somewhat (gradations are taking place now), but we all have different areas of studies and a lot of people moved away for college.
Look at positives. At least you've gained a variety knowledge by attending so many classes in different campuses.

It's never too late my dude. In the grand scheme of things, a few years behind compared to the length of your life is nothing.

I'm 24 but i graduate this summer. just keep going at it. one thing i learned is it is best to take as many classes as possible. if not, you're only stretching everything out even longer.

I'm sorry but a decade of college has L all over it.

5 years of community college. Massive L all over it.

I try not to to put down NTers but that's just losing. Good thing is you can still grind and get that degree in two years (tl;dr all the way through don't know you're actual plans)

Just get that piece of paper fam.

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

I'm sorry but a decade of college has L all over it.

5 years of community college. Massive L all over it.

I try not to to put down NTers but that's just losing. Good thing is you can still grind and get that degree in two years (tl;dr all the way through don't know you're actual plans)

Just get that piece of paper fam.
indifferent.gif
laugh.gif

He knows its an L, which is why he made this thread.

School systems dont always educate children to prosper in college.
I know many peers who went to CC and basically had remedial classes for 2-3 yrs and then finally started their 36 general courses.
Just keep going OP

Originally Posted by FDUB

I'm 25 years old and I been in College since I graduated in high school in 2005 and I am kind of discouraged now. I first started at a Community College from Fall 05 to Spring 2010. Then I went to University Of Maryland in the fall of 2010 for one semester. I left there because it was a bit to big for me to handle as far as the classes, so I been at Bowie state since Spring 2011. Oh yeah, I have never had a break either by the way. I guess i will be graduating in the Spring of 2013. The whole moral to this post is that I feel so behind compared to people that I graduated from high school with graduated back in 09. Then what makes it worst is that a lo of my classes have people that graduated in high school in 2008-2010 and it be so weird to socialize with them because their mindsets are so different then mines. Anyone who is in this situation, do you guys feel discouraged because you been in college for this long? It is so bad that I be afraid to tell people how old I am. Also, it be really weird to try to talk to the ladies due to their age..SMH. What are your thoughts on this? 

Wasn't gonna say this until I read the bolded part but...
What the hell you been doing man? 

If you've had real life extenuating circumstances (money issues, family issues, health issues) then you have no reason to feel bad and I give you the utmost sympathy.  But if you've been in school every semester since 05 with no major circumstances and you still ain't graduated yet you're just slackin, flat out and if you want to be successful in the real world you're going to have to develop a better work ethic.

Not trying to be a jerk, I'm just responding based on the information you gave.

Edit: By the way (and this is very important) if you don't have a REAL major that leads to REAL employment.  You're better off taking 9 years (
sick.gif
) in something that'll give you some real skills than have spent 8 years for a degree in Mass Communications or English and end up working for $10/hr.

Originally Posted by mholmes87

Youll be fine man. Just stick to it, dont let your age even be a factor.

qft, im 22 turning 23 in a few months and started college late. i took the hard route after hs. went straight to work full time and that wasn't the life for me. started school again when i was 21 and still got a long ways ahead of me. my age difference used to discourage me seeing younger folks at school but then again i see mad old folks too. 

Originally Posted by malikdagoat

If you've had real life extenuating circumstances (money issues, family issues, health issues) then you have no reason to feel bad and I give you the utmost sympathy.  But if you've been in school every semester since 05 with no major circumstances and you still ain't graduated yet you're just slackin, flat out and if you want to be successful in the real world you're going to have to develop a better work ethic.

wait just read the 05 part...

i am 24 and going to be 25 at the end of may. i will graduate this semester and i feel you
most of my childhood friends and acquaintances are making money while i am still at school, sometimes i feel too embarrassed to face them knowing they have their career on track while i am doing nothing
but dont let it discourage you, use that as fuel and turn on the competitiveness
think long term, dont worry about money and fun now. focus in school, take as many classes as possible and study your ##$ off. you have no choice but to go all in.

Originally Posted by georgehimself

I know dudes going back to college in there 30s. You're good.

Thread/.
I read in a study that the average undergrad, graduates at 28 years of age.

My dude, It's really whatever. I can def. understand what you said when you said you got nothing in common with the dudes you're in school with now since you've been there for a minute. I graduated in 2004 and went to school right after High School (Community College). I was a pretty sheltered dude so the whole being independent thing was new to me so I took full advantage of having a bunch of freedom and wasted a year and half at a CC just #@%#@***#%%*. It took me 3 and a half years to graduate at 2 year school (
laugh.gif
).. I was discouraged definitely, but I got my @$%@ together and moved onto a private school where I worked hard and got done there on time. All in all, I wasted about a year and half but there was no better feeling than sticking with it and actually getting that degree in my hands. I know how you feel right now, thinkin' you've wasted so much time and that it's not worth it. But you're almost there man, who cares how long it's taking you? Everyone has their own reasons, people got other responsibilities, etc. Just stick with it and you'll be glad you did. When I moved onto the private school I was like ***** is this, people doin stuff I did 3 years ago now and it was just corny to me since I already did all that stuff... that made me realize, goddamn.. I am way too old to be here and just made me work harder to get out asap. It sorta felt like being that OLD dude at High school parties, cept it was college
laugh.gif

It'll feel weird man, but you gotta get it done. You made a decision to go.. no matter how long it's taking you, just finish up!
pimp.gif

I'm 25 now and graduated at 24. *flame suit*
Edit: but for real, take summer courses, winter classes.. if you wanan get done early... thats what I did towards the end of my degree.

Well, WHen I started at the Community College, I took about 1 years of Pre-Req courses that pretty much held me back. Also, I wasn't really sure what I wanted to do as far as my career was concerned until my 2nd to last semester at my Community college that I wanted to study Criminal Justice. Now That is what I am studying. Also I might add, I never took summer courses either, which could also be another reason.  I be feeling so bad now a days though. People I know are already in their careers and so forth..SMH 

I know quite a few people going to school in there 30's.

At the end of the day tho, don't worry about anyone else mane, just do you!

You sound like this african dude I know in the dmv. Just keep working at it. For those qustioning his competive nature, maybe he learns slower than others or maybe he is undecieded. As long as your responsible for yourself, just stay on track.

Originally Posted by DipsetGeneral

Originally Posted by georgehimself

I know dudes going back to college in there 30s. You're good.

Thread/.
I read in a study that the average undergrad, graduates at 28 years of age.

Outliers, b.

Well, WHen I started at the Community College, I took about 1 years of Pre-Req courses that pretty much held me back. Also, I wasn't really sure what I wanted to do as far as my career was concerned until my 2nd to last semester at my Community college that I wanted to study Criminal Justice. Now That is what I am studying. Also I might add, I never took summer courses either, which could also be another reason.  I be feeling so bad now a days though. People I know are already in their careers and so forth..SMH 
Man if that's what you wanna do then go ahead in finish, I'm not sure what the job market is looking like for CJ majors though.  
Wasn't trying to be a %##%*%%, just trying to give you a reality check, cause it'll suck having all those loans for college and you can't find a decent paying job.  Hopefully you've been working though and gained some experience you can use on your resume.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom