Anyone using Google Fi for your cell provider?

Google Fi is offering a promotion for the Nexus 5X with new signups to their Google Fi network and I'm intrigued to switch. I'm currently using Republic Wireless which uses the same concept of calls & texts through open wifi networks and only paying for the data you use and optimizing your cell signal for the best network (Sprint or T-Mobile). My question is what has been your experience. I haven't been impressed with the wifi call quality from Republic Wireless, but that's a feature you can turn off if you want. The phone selection is pretty sparse too, but that's not an issue since the Moto X I'm still using was a great phone when I got it 2 years ago. I'm looking at the 5X for only $200 now, but wanted to get other people's opinions on the phone and overall service before making the switch since there aren't any flagship phones on available now on my current network. (it'll cost about $5 more each month for basically the same thing but the phones are a bit better now).

https://fi.google.com/about/

http://republicwireless.com/

edit - i just realized i commented about nothing what you asked sorry :lol:

i stay with the $30 tmobile walmart plan

100 minutes/100 text and unlimited data 5gb @ hi speed

fits me perfect the data more than covers for the lack of minutes/text by using other avenues......skype,fb, etc...

Last edited:
edit - i just realized i commented about nothing what you asked sorry
laugh.gif

fits me perfect the data more than covers for the lack of minutes/text by using other avenues......skype,fb, etc...
Ya, definitely need more than 100 minutes & texts.
laugh.gif
The meetings for work alone take more than that each week.

I love that these plans pay you back for the data you don't use though since I'm home most of the time and in wifi range. I only use about .6GB of data each month, so I'm getting back about $5 for unused data. $20 cell bill FTW!

edit - i just realized i commented about nothing what you asked sorry :lol:

Had this plan for a year before I switched to AT&T, I think you meant to say 100 mins/unlimited text and 5GBs. Might go back to it very soon

http://niketalk.com/t/264167/vv-vv-official-android-os-device-thread-vv-vv/62220#post_25289474

I'm on Fi with the 6P and I have no complaints. Service is very good and I haven't had any major issues. As long as you're on WiFi and in a area with good sprint or t-mobile service than you should be good. Can't comment on the 5X since I haven't used the phone but that's a great price for it
Ya, I've heard great things about the 6P, but a bit out of my budget right now. For $250 for the 32GB, I'm about to pull the trigger soon since 16GB on my Moto X isn't cutting it anymore with all the pictures and videos I take now.

I've been on Fi with the 5X since December and I love it. My last bill was $29. I was on that T-Mobile $30 5gb 100 mins plan for a few yrs and jumped on Fi when I got the chance cuz 100 mins is nothing and I don't even make a lot of calls. The great thing about Fi is that you realize you don't even need that much data -- it's like when you have a bunch of gigs or unlimited, you tend to use it as much as you can just cuz you can. Don't know if that makes sense but I've been trying to not be on my phone when I'm out and about and try to get back in being in the moment and more aware of my surroundings. Sounds corny but it's kind of liberating.

Another thing I love is that Fi will automatically connect you to compatible wifi hotspots thru a VPN so you're able to save on data even more and not worry about your security. For the spots where you can't connect automatically and need to deal with a captive portal, like Starbucks wifi, I just got an app that does it for me as long as I've signed in once.

The Fi app is also cool as it breaks down your bill in a clean, clear and open way. As for the 5X, it's a great phone and definitely a step up from the N5 -- way better camera, battery life, fingerprint sensor, better build imo since the N5's corners dug into your palm. The only thing that annoys is the occasional lag and hiccup. The N5 had some problems like this but were fixed pretty quickly with updates; hoping the same for the 5X. I think it definitely has to do with Doze as a lot of lag occurs after not using the phone for a while and since Doze is new, I'm hoping Google is still learning the ins and outs of it. But other than the occasional lag, the phone flies and is really smooth like Nexus phones are known for.

Last edited:
I've been on Fi with the 5X since December and I love it. My last bill was $29. I was on that T-Mobile $30 5gb 100 mins plan for a few yrs and jumped on Fi when I got the chance cuz 100 mins is nothing and I don't even make a lot of calls. The great thing about Fi is that you realize you don't even need that much data -- it's like when you have a bunch of gigs or unlimited, you tend to use it as much as you can just cuz you can. Don't know if that makes sense but I've been trying to not be on my phone when I'm out and about and try to get back in being in the moment and more aware of my surroundings. Sounds corny but it's kind of liberating.

Another thing I love is that Fi will automatically connect you to compatible wifi hotspots thru a VPN so you're able to save on data even more and not worry about your security. For the spots where you can't connect automatically and need to deal with a captive portal, like Starbucks wifi, I just got an app that does it for me as long as I've signed in once.

The Fi app is also cool as it breaks down your bill in a clean, clear and open way. As for the 5X, it's a great phone and definitely a step up from the N5 -- way better camera, battery life, fingerprint sensor, better build imo since the N5's corners dug into your palm. The only thing that annoys is the occasional lag and hiccup. The N5 had some problems like this but were fixed pretty quickly with updates; hoping the same for the 5X. I think it definitely has to do with Doze as a lot of lag occurs after not using the phone for a while and since Doze is new, I'm hoping Google is still learning the ins and outs of it. But other than the occasional lag, the phone flies and is really smooth like Nexus phones are known for.
That's one thing I love about the Republic system is it automatically logs me into the captive portals. I'm not sure if it's just because it's so easy with my phone now, but having to manually log in to them on my laptop/tablet sucks now.

I'm glad to hear about the VPN security. That's something I don't always think about, but it's a great feature that more phone manufactures should consider integrating into their systems.

How's the fingerprint reader? Is it actually a useful feature at this point, or just a gimmick?

Do you have a case on it? I've heard that the rubberized body makes it so you don't necessarily need to put a case on it. That's one thing I've always been hesitant with my Moto X. I drop that thing so much and yet there's not a scratch on it. I'm not sure if it's the case, or just the phone build.

That's one thing I love about the Republic system is it automatically logs me into the captive portals. I'm not sure if it's just because it's so easy with my phone now, but having to manually log in to them on my laptop/tablet sucks now.

I'm glad to hear about the VPN security. That's something I don't always think about, but it's a great feature that more phone manufactures should consider integrating into their systems.

How's the fingerprint reader? Is it actually a useful feature at this point, or just a gimmick?

Do you have a case on it? I've heard that the rubberized body makes it so you don't necessarily need to put a case on it. That's one thing I've always been hesitant with my Moto X. I drop that thing so much and yet there's not a scratch on it. I'm not sure if it's the case, or just the phone build.

The fingerprint reader is probably my favorite feature, I don't even use the power button anymore. It's perfectly placed and nothing beats reaching into your pocket, placing finger on reader and unlocking by the time you look at the phone all in one smooth motion. My girl has an iPhone and I've used Samsung phones and their placement of the sensor on the home button is really awkward. The back is ideal imo. The best part is that it's not a button you have to press, it's flat and you just lay your finger on it and it's incredibly fast. You're also allowed to register multiple fingers but what I did is register different parts of one finger so that it'll unlock even easier.

Never messed with cases, to me it takes away from the slim and sleek feel of phones. I've dropped the phone a few times and the body is still perfect -- I only have a small, only can see in the right light scratch that I forget is even there.

Forgot to mention, the phone also has the ambient display feature like Moto phones but it's a bit different. It'll wake up when it senses that you've picked the phone up and looked at it; it won't wake up by waving a hand of it or moved it.

Last edited:

The fingerprint reader is probably my favorite feature, I don't even use the power button anymore. It's perfectly placed and nothing beats reaching into your pocket, placing finger on reader and unlocking by the time you look at the phone all in one smooth motion. My girl has an iPhone and I've used Samsung phones and their placement of the sensor on the home button is really awkward. The back is ideal imo. The best part is that it's not a button you have to press, it's flat and you just lay your finger on it and it's incredibly fast. You're also allowed to register multiple fingers but what I did is register different parts of one finger so that it'll unlock even easier.

Never messed with cases, to me it takes away from the slim and sleek feel of phones. I've dropped the phone a few times and the body is still perfect -- I only have a small, only can see in the right light scratch that I forget is even there.

Forgot to mention, the phone also has the ambient display feature like Moto phones but it's a bit different. It'll wake up when it senses that you've picked the phone up and looked at it; it won't wake up by waving a hand of it or moved it.
Good to hear. I use my Moto360 as my unlock device, so as long as I'm 30 feet from my phone, all I have to do is swipe up. Otherwise, someone has to know my pattern.

The ambient blinking for the Moto X is kind of annoying, so it's good to hear that Google has fixed that.

Yea it is and because the 5X uses lcd opposed to amoled, it saves battery.

I mentioned before that I was hoping an update would soon fix the lag issues and I just read that an OTA specifically for the 5X is being released today :lol:

With that and the new price, you're jumping in at an opportune time, brah.

Yea it is and because the 5X uses lcd opposed to amoled, it saves battery.

I mentioned before that I was hoping an update would soon fix the lag issues and I just read that an OTA specifically for the 5X is being released today
laugh.gif

With that and the new price, you're jumping in at an opportune time, brah.
Ya. Now just to part with the $250 that I wasn't planning to spend for another couple months. I might give it another 2-3 weeks to see if there's something similar from my current provider just to see since I already know what to expect and I kinda like going with the small guy if I can since Republic Wireless pretty much pioneered wifi-to-cell calling and refundable plans. But Google's making it pretty tough since I JUST got Lollipop in January and the 5X is already on Marshmello. Not to mention it seemed like my phone actually slowed down with the update. But it did fix the calling and crashing issues.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom