Curbing cell phone addiction

Like all addictions it took me way too long to admit, understand, and overcome this problem. Your phone is designed to be as addictive as possible and the manufacturers do a fantastic job of that. Everything from your apps, to notifications, to social media is designed to sap your time and attention; as they say, if the product is free, you are the product. Every where I go I see the same thing; people hunched over looking down at their phones. People walking aimlessly whilst looking down at their phone- ready to walk into you because they're not looking where they are going. People driving and looking down at their phones. It's getting out of control. Worse, it's getting normalized.

We know this isn't healthy. So what can we do? The biggest step for me was taking a job where I couldn't bring my phone inside. That was major, but still when I went home I had the same problem. Checking social media every break in a conversation. It seemed like with every pause in life I was scrolling and double tapping. So I got rid of all my social medias. I made my bedroom a no-phone zone. I bought an alarm clock so that my phone wasn't the first thing I looked at in the morning. I set my do not disturb to come on at 8 p.m.

When I'm doing things I don't bring my phone with me. When I watch a movie I may put my phone in another room. I bought the smallest phone apple made so that it would force me to use the phone less. Coming to this site on my 12 mini is always a chore with all the ads and small buttons. I don't take calls while I'm driving. I just lie and say the wind noise is too great and call them back later. Nobody needs to reach me RIGHT NOW and whenever they want. You can wait until I am in the proper mental space to speak with you.

If you have any tips and experiences, please leave them below. Your phone is an amazing piece of machinery that can do many things. But too much of anything is never good for you. You don't have to be a slave to your phone if you don't want to.

I used an old Flip phone temporarily awhile back. Way less time on phone Lol

I am with you OP. Boundaries is the only thing that works for me.

But sometimes I even fail at that. Don’t have social media either.

I think it’s unhealthy to stop using your phone.

Here’s my rational.

As humans we are very social creatures. In prior generations most people had a decent amount of friends and a decent amount of family. And almost everyone had someone quite close to them within walking distances. Studies have repeatedly shown the most important factor in life is having close relationships for both in the moment contentment as well as long term satisfaction with life.

As our world has changed we’ve become very isolated from each other. It’s pretty rare for people to have someone they just walk down the street with and hang with as adults. Yet, that desire and need for intense social connection hasn’t changed.

The way we’ve replaced it is with phones. It’s the only way people stay in contact with those 10-50 people in their lives.

While this is a sad reality and farce compared to the in person structure this at least is something. And it’s hard to get others to change so this version of the world I think is something you need to be adaptable to.

Just my take from trying to get rid of my phone usage and seeing some friends that did “spiritual awakening” type stuff. We’ve all come back to the phone but try to do it in a healthier way where we’re not using it as a crutch or addicted.

I don't pay for unlimited data anymore. I get the cheapest available data plan. I bring a book with me during my commute instead of streaming music, podcasts, videos. And I also have zero social media accounts. I agree with you, OP, and we have to take a more active role and make an effort to have more presence of mind in our daily lives. I find myself using my airpods pro for noise cancelling so I can read in peace.

Tbh, I probably dont use my phone enough. It hinders relationships....because most people are phone-junkies haha. Seriously tho, I'll come home put my phone on the dresser and forget it's up there for 3-4 hours. A lot of the time, I just don't feel like that ****. Call me or pull up. My average screen time is 2-3 hours a day.

Call me or pull up.

shocked-surprised.gif

Deleting all social media apps has helped me personally. I feel free. I’ve built a book case and a desk within the last week of the strength that my attention wasn’t being drained elsewhere.

I think it’s unhealthy to stop using your phone.

Here’s my rational.

As humans we are very social creatures. In prior generations most people had a decent amount of friends and a decent amount of family. And almost everyone had someone quite close to them within walking distances. Studies have repeatedly shown the most important factor in life is having close relationships for both in the moment contentment as well as long term satisfaction with life.

As our world has changed we’ve become very isolated from each other. It’s pretty rare for people to have someone they just walk down the street with and hang with as adults. Yet, that desire and need for intense social connection hasn’t changed.

The way we’ve replaced it is with phones. It’s the only way people stay in contact with those 10-50 people in their lives.

While this is a sad reality and farce compared to the in person structure this at least is something. And it’s hard to get others to change so this version of the world I think is something you need to be adaptable to.

Just my take from trying to get rid of my phone usage and seeing some friends that did “spiritual awakening” type stuff. We’ve all come back to the phone but try to do it in a healthier way where we’re not using it as a crutch or addicted.

….. you do understand that the reason people have become isolated, is due to phones right?

Kids and adults don’t even have proper social skills and decorum anymore, due to phones.

You go in the average modern household and everyone is on their phone.

Phones have ruined peoples ability to social in a healthy way.

How can you say phones have replaced humans, and in the same breath say we are social creatures? A “phone” cannot replace a human. Sitting on the phone all day watching “others” is what’s making people more and isolated.

There needs to be balance. That’s the issue. The average phone user doesn’t have balance

Tbh, I probably dont use my phone enough. It hinders relationships....because most people are phone-junkies haha. Seriously tho, I'll come home put my phone on the dresser and forget it's up there for 3-4 hours. A lot of the time, I just don't feel like that ****. Call me or pull up. My average screen time is 2-3 hours a day.

Same. I’ve never been a phone person. Especially if someone is calling me and wants to gossip or talk about something that’s not constructive or lucrative.

My motto is, if you’re not calling me about money or a business proposal, don’t call my phone.

My own family even understands this. Calling me to walk about what someone else did, what happened up the street or what someone else has going on, is a quick hang up by me.

I like face to face interaction. Don’t get me started on FaceTime my goodness. I can’t understand how people sit on their phone and talk and talk alllll day long about nothing most of the time too.

My screen time came in at 2 hours a day last week. That's 14 hours a week. That's still a lot of time that I could be doing ANYTHING else.

I didn't workout for 14 hours last week. Or have sex. Or do actual work at work- I mean I was there, but I ain't do anything.

It's all a perspective. You can defeat this. A little at a time. It probably wont be easy. But it will be worth it.

Same. I’ve never been a phone person. Especially if someone is calling me and wants to gossip or talk about something that’s not constructive or lucrative.

My motto is, if you’re not calling me about money or a business proposal, don’t call my phone.

My own family even understands this. Calling me to walk about what someone else did, what happened up the street or what someone else has going on, is a quick hang up by me.

I like face to face interaction. Don’t get me started on FaceTime my goodness. I can’t understand how people sit on their phone and talk and talk alllll day long about nothing most of the time too.
Your motto is corny. Stop taking yourself so seriously, boss.

I just do little things to ensure that I don’t spend all day on my phone, and I find that the best way to do it is by staying active. Between going to the gym, making home-cooked meals, and going on a walk/bike ride after dinner I cut out a lot of potential screen time.

One thing I’ll never understand is people that can talk on the phone all day. I honestly don’t want anyone calling me unless it’s really important or time-critical. Sitting around bull****ting with someone about nothing important for hours on end seems like such a waste of time.

Just because you live an “ain’t s*** life” don’t put those stipulations on me. You must be a male telemarketer.

I guess you are One of those men who gossip on the phone like females :lol: :lol:

I don't pay for unlimited data anymore. I get the cheapest available data plan. I bring a book with me during my commute instead of streaming music, podcasts, videos. And I also have zero social media accounts. I agree with you, OP, and we have to take a more active role and make an effort to have more presence of mind in our daily lives. I find myself using my airpods pro for noise cancelling so I can read in peace.

Interesting. His motto is his peace of mind, you calling it corny invalidates your advice.

I recommend checking out Cal Newport's book Digital Minimalism.

This is a recent episode from his podcast, those trying to stop their phone addiction might find this episode helpful.

I knew something was wrong when l realized it was hard for me to leave it on the charger for an hour at night before bed. I even have a tablet to use in the meantime but only wanted the phone.

100 percent right, the crazy thing is I don't have a legit social media account, meaning I don't post nor do I follow people I know, it's just for news, sports updates and workouts and I'm still glued to my phone. I guess first step is to realize it.

Back
Top Bottom