Apparantly, Brewers owner is upset and thinks there needs to be a Salaray Cap.

Yankees haven't won a title in going on 8 years. Plus, his team of scrubs are already receiving "Welfare" from the Luxury Tax. Yup, I'de sayhe's mad. On top of it, our Payroll is lower than last year.

Brewers Owner Suggests Salary Cap After Yankees Sign Teixeira

Email | Print | A A A

By Danielle Sessa

Dec. 23 (Bloomberg) -- Milwaukee Brewers owner Mark Attanasio said Major League Baseball may need to impose a salary cap to preserve competition after the New York Yankees spent $424 million to sign three players.

The Yankees agreed on an eight-year, $180 million deal with Mark Teixeira, according to a baseball official familiar with the contract, continuing to acquire the most expensive free- agents on the market before moving into a new $1.3 billion ballpark next season. New York signed former Cy Young Award winner CC Sabathia for seven years and $161 million, and got pitcher A.J. Burnett for five years and $82.5 million.

"At the rate the Yankees are going, I'm not sure anyone can compete with them," Attanasio said in an e-mail. "Frankly, the sport might need a salary cap."

Baseball is the only one of the major U.S. professional sports that operates without a salary cap, which sets a ceiling on payroll. The sport imposes a tax when teams surpass a payroll threshold and redistributes revenue from the highest-grossing teams like the Yankees to the clubs that produce the least revenue like Milwaukee.

The Yankees have exceeded the payroll limits every year since baseball began imposing a penalty in 2003 and has accounted for 90 percent of the money collected, the Associated Press reported. The methods baseball implements to curb spending isn't working for the Yankees, Attanasio said.

Luxury Tax

"Obviously, the 34 percent they kick into the revenue- sharing pool and the luxury taxes don't affect them one whit," he said.

Major League Baseball spokesman Pat Courtney didn't immediately return an e-mail for comment on Attanasio's salary cap suggestion.

Yankees spokesman Michael Margolis declined to comment.

New York beat out the Boston Red Sox, Los Angeles Angels, Washington Nationals and Baltimore Orioles for the services of Teixeira, a Gold Glove first baseman.

The Yankees also topped the Brewers in acquiring Sabathia. Milwaukee offered a five-year, $100 million deal for the left- hander before the Yankees began negotiations with a deal worth $40 million more.

"They are on a completely different economic playing field," Attanasio said in a telephone interview. "I paid $220 million for my team; now they get three players for $420 million."

According to Forbes magazine, 16 of the MLB 30 teams are worth less than what the Yankees paid for Teixeira, Sabathia and Burnett.

The Yankees began last season with a $209 million payroll, marking the 10th straight year they led the sport. The Florida Marlins had the lowest payroll at $22 million. The disparity is an issue, Attanasio said.

"At some point it gets to be absurd when a team has a $200 million payroll," he said, adding that the Brewers won't raise their $81 million payroll because of the recession.

!#%# the sorry #+$ Brewers, they are nothing but a lame organization anyways
laugh.gif

See i would agree with the notion if the Yankees, Mets & Red Soxs constantly won world series titles because it would show that there's a directcorrelation between high payroll teams and winning a World Series title but that has yet to be proven. The Phillies were ranked 13th last season in terms ofpayroll and yet they won a title, Cardinals won in 06.... so its not like for a whole decade its been Yankees, Soxs, Yankees, Sox. I mean in 03 when thepenalty was imposed Flordia Marlins won the world series and at that time they were in the bottom percentile in terms of cap space. You can't be jealousthat a team has excess cash, Yankees have major broadcasting deals and sells the most merchandise and fill the seats and its the FANS who make all thatpossible.

if they win the world series for the next some odd years to come then he has a point ... but i have a feeling they wont ... stop whining and pull a tampa bay

The problem with that reasoning is that other owners pocket the revenue sharing that they get from the big market teams. The Yankees have chosen to operate aloss the last couple of years, but baseball could use a minimum and maximum salary cap. Selig is one of George's biggest supporters, and he has always beenslow to make big decisions.

A salary cap wouldnt work tho because what they set it at, teams would already be over when the cap is implemented. So what would they do force teams to giveup some of their players? What I do see working would be if the league only allowed teams to spend a certain amount each offseason. I mean Yankee fans love ithow it is because they are getting all the big name players, but like its been said it hasnt paned out recently so it is what it is.

Its just bad for baseball in a sense because in a few years there will only be 6-7 good teams and the rest will be trash because no free agent will want to goto a !*+$ team and try to ride it out with them. Because this isnt basketball/football where you can take over a game night in and night out (aside frompitchers, but even then you only pitch once every 5 days or so). I see where he is coming from with the arguement but if teams would spend their money to put agood product on the field like the Yankees, Red Sox and Mets instead of just pocketing it we wouldnt be having this conversation.

The man has a point, and i would be salty too if i knew i had to give up prospects for a top player for the stretch run and then see a $100 mil for an offerwhen the year is over is laughed at.

Dont worry Attanasio, pretty soon that $100 mil will be going to .270 hitters and 90% of the league will really be out of the loop.

It's funny because the Rays are the exact opposite of this, they are the traditional old school franchise with a deep farm system.

I'd want a salary cap as well the Yankees are dishing out 800 gabillion dollars this year, but it don't matter they still ain't gonna make theplayoffs of knocked off early rounds def!

how about he hire better coaches to teach his team better hand/eye coordination?

being salty ftl

Originally Posted by AllenIversonFan01

A salary cap wouldnt work tho because what they set it at, teams would already be over when the cap is implemented. So what would they do force teams to give up some of their players? What I do see working would be if the league only allowed teams to spend a certain amount each offseason. I mean Yankee fans love it how it is because they are getting all the big name players, but like its been said it hasnt paned out recently so it is what it is.

Its just bad for baseball in a sense because in a few years there will only be 6-7 good teams and the rest will be trash because no free agent will want to go to a !*+$ team and try to ride it out with them. Because this isnt basketball/football where you can take over a game night in and night out (aside from pitchers, but even then you only pitch once every 5 days or so). I see where he is coming from with the arguement but if teams would spend their money to put a good product on the field like the Yankees, Red Sox and Mets instead of just pocketing it we wouldnt be having this conversation.
They made it work for football, so theres no reason a plan wouldnt work for baseball

While I'm not a fan of all the moves my team made, the Yankees didn't really do anything wrong.

They paid Teixiera what the price range he was asking for, same for Sabathia and Burnett.

Originally Posted by NostrandAve68

See i would agree with the notion if the Yankees, Mets & Red Soxs constantly won world series titles because it would show that there's a direct correlation between high payroll teams and winning a World Series title but that has yet to be proven. The Phillies were ranked 13th last season in terms of payroll and yet they won a title, Cardinals won in 06.... so its not like for a whole decade its been Yankees, Soxs, Yankees, Sox. I mean in 03 when the penalty was imposed Flordia Marlins won the world series and at that time they were in the bottom percentile in terms of cap space. You can't be jealous that a team has excess cash, Yankees have major broadcasting deals and sells the most merchandise and fill the seats and its the FANS who make all that possible.
You have to understand that the teams with smaller pay roles have less of a window of opportunity to win or even be competitive!
Marlins won in 03 and havent done *#$* since, Cardinals won in 06 and have been pretty bad since. Perfect example are the BREWERS... they got to the playoffslast year and this offseason have lost CC and Sheets so far and there is a possibility they might lose Prince because he will be commanding a big contractsoon. Its not Milwaukees fault they are located in Wisconsin. They yankees are in the largest market in the WORLD!

If you look at the Rays they could be horrible within the next couple years because they have some players that could be commanding a huge chunk of change,which they in turn cannot afford. i.e. Upton, Kazmir, Garza, Pena.

I hate the "look at the Rays" reasoning..

that is so difficult to accomplish.

Small market teams just can't compete, period. And if they do it's only going to be for 1 or 2 years.

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

It's funny because the Rays are the exact opposite of this, they are the traditional old school franchise with a deep farm system.

after countless years of suckage resulting in top draft picks, you better have a deep farm system.

they made a good decision signing Longoria to that nice contract this year, but wait til that's up...

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

i would be salty too if i knew i had to give up prospects for a top player for the stretch run and then see a $100 mil for an offer when the year is over is laughed at.

Bingo

Small market teams just can't compete, period. And if they do it's only going to be for 1 or 2 years.
Thats why baseball is dead! I used to love the MLB, now i really don't care for it.

Originally Posted by allen3xis

I hate the "look at the Rays" reasoning..

that is so difficult to accomplish.

Boo hoo.

Wait...

... I never told you guys I own the Brewers? Really?

And the fact that you begin by saying 'We haven't won a title in going on 8 years' is indicative of why the Yankees are bad for baseball. When wasthe last time the Pirates won the World Series? Royals? Brewers? Astros? Indians? Mariners? Padres?

It's been longer than 8 years... but nobody's acting like that's weird that they haven't won it all in forever.

Back
Top Bottom