Are 'Mixed' People Black?...

i like this post. i agree with everything. like in spanish-speaking countries in carribbean, central & south america (which border the carribbean) the common culture has more to do with ethnicity (a combination of nationality, culture, language, history) than race specifically. not to say race isn't an important factor for some, but you see a lot more racial diversity yet more integration - at the end of the people are either just cuban, dominican, panamanian, etc

I like this idea but is it genuine? This is an ignorant question because I've never had this discussion in person.

Ninjahood, albeit grudgingly, admitted to having black ancestry but put national identity at the forefront. This is a common response from those regions.

But do most white or white looking latinos go out of their way to place emphasis on their mixed ancestry when confused for a white person in America?

I seriously don't know and im sure it depends on the individual but is there a general consensus that they do or don't?

I mean some get upset when called black, do others get upset when called white?

If a mixed person put white down as the race for an interview or something...

Would the interviewer be surprised when they walked in? :lol:

lol u know dam well the white latinos dont have a problem being considered white....... for the most part

when i was a kid my fam was visiting miami, and they have a **** ton of white looking cubans, and i called this one girl white and she corrected me with the quickness, but that was a while ago, i think most of them are cool with being considered white now

i like this post. i agree with everything. like in spanish-speaking countries in carribbean, central & south america (which border the carribbean) the common culture has more to do with ethnicity (a combination of nationality, culture, language, history) than race specifically. not to say race isn't an important factor for some, but you see a lot more racial diversity yet more integration - at the end of the people are either just cuban, dominican, panamanian, etc

I like this idea but is it genuine? This is an ignorant question because I've never had this discussion in person.

Ninjahood, albeit grudgingly, admitted to having black ancestry but put national identity at the forefront. This is a common response from those regions.

But do most white or white looking latinos go out of their way to place emphasis on their mixed ancestry when confused for a white person in America?

I seriously don't know and im sure it depends on the individual but is there a general consensus that they do or don't?

I mean some get upset when called black, do others get upset when called white?

The reason nationality is put towards the front is because in a lot of these regions, Black is synonymous with African-American, and globally that is looked at negative.

I've heard people say they're half Haitian, half Black.

And im looking like

View media item 1581670

lol u know dam well the white latinos dont have a problem being considered white....... for the most part

when i was a kid my fam was visiting miami, and they have a **** ton of white looking cubans, and i called this one girl white and she corrected me with the quickness, but that was a while ago, i think most of them are cool with being considered white now

http://unspokenethnictruths.blogspot.com/2010/06/curious-case-of-racism-in-puerto-rico.html

http://www.theroot.com/articles/culture/2010/07/racism_is_alive_and_well_in_cuba.html

http://unspokenethnictruths.blogspot.com/2010/06/curious-case-of-racism-in-puerto-rico.html

http://www.theroot.com/articles/culture/2010/07/racism_is_alive_and_well_in_cuba.html
nah bro, when i say white looking cubans i mean like this

c16de990daa19bf3c449cddb76d898eb.jpg

When I was younger, I used to call myself mixed (very pale skin with freckles but I have a nappy fade). From birth until 10 years old I grew up in an all black neighborhood/school, and only had black friends. I would get called white boy, get the constant "what are you?" line, etc. During that time, I just called myself mixed to avoid the questions and to try to stop people from making fun of me. From the age of 11 until now, the large majority of my interactions have been with white people (from high school, college, law school and work), and I've had white people assume I was puerto rican, dominican, brazilian, only a little black, ethiopian, and a bunch of other random stuff, but all of this made me just want to identify aa black even more. As someone previously stated, in the eyes of the law, bigots, and the govt., I'm a black man. And although I never fully claimed that when I was younger, I damn sure do now. 

(picture for reference)

After Obama was elected, they called him "Mr. Obama" for a clean 3 months...

He's black

Ears, you look like a light skin black dude to me. Are you mixed or were you just saying that?

My pops is as light as you and we have no known white ancestry.

Dudes seem to forget that there are lightskin black people from the motherland.

Ears, you look like a light skin black dude to me. Are you mixed or were you just saying that?

My pops is as light as you and we have no known white ancestry.

Dudes seem to forget that there are lightskin black people from the motherland.
naw, moms is white and my dad is black. But I just consider myself a lightskin black dude.

And thats sad that America makes mixed individuals have to choose a side. I can understand the children but the adults....

Them making it seem as if you have be mixed is wrong. Although you actually are, there are many black people with light complexions or blonde hair that aren't mixed.

The ignorance definitely comes from blacks and white people.

And thats sad that America makes mixed individuals have to choose a side. I can understand the children but the adults....

Them making it seem as if you have be mixed is wrong. Although you actually are, there are many black people with light complexions or blonde hair that aren't mixed.

Agreed, well said.

Male:

if your dad is black and your mom is white you are black

if your dad is white and your mom is black you are white

Female:

if your dad is white and your mom is black you are black

It's pretty much that simple...as explained to me in 8th grade 

wtf? lmao

Last edited:
Dad is black but mom isn't, but... I've always been either 'black' to folks or a question mark (gotten multiple guesses from ppl) so this topic is interesting.

2050 hopefully society has changed more.

society wont change too much, even tho there are more interracial couples now, its for the wrong reasons, there arent many people who think sexy is sexy in any color, usually theres some sort of infatuation with the other race and an obvious inferiority complex or novelty attraction involved

Male:
if your dad is white and your mom is black you are white

Female:
if your dad is white and your mom is black you are black

It's pretty much that simple...as explained to me in 8th grade 

:rofl: Cannot be serious :nerd: Maybe my sarcasm detector is off?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom