are rap/hiphop fans the least educated in their genre's history

trickdaddy305

Banned
most rocker kids are obsessed with kurt cobaine/lynyrd skynyrd/jimi hendrix etc ...anything with a guitar

they love it or hate it and can back it up with crazy facts 

what percentage of hip hop fans 15-24 do you guy's think

can name 2 krs one albums?

can name 2 members from the juice crew

recite 2 bars from kurtis blow "the break"

know cam'ron was a member of  "children of the corn"

know who lords of the underground are ?

know where kanye's "cant a young n' get money anymore "on theraflu  was from

i honestly think if u stopped random kids between 15-24 only about 12% would get those

question right

in this day in age u can download epmd's whole discography for free in 15 minutes , theres a lot of rich history

in 80's and 90's hip hop that i dont think kids are using , especially in a day in  age where im sure most of us know 12+ aspiring rappers it would be nice if there was a training process before kids pick up a mic

i think half the kids rapping are looking at riff raff/soulja/lil b and thinking "damn i could do that"

i listen to somebody like nas and i assure myself aint no chance in hell i need to be in

no damn booth  
laugh.gif

zero replies.

most rap fans have better **** to worry about than the 3rd member of the juice crew.

just saying.

I'm 22 I feel the same way about people in my age group but I'm educated enough to kno hip hop and rap is not close as meaningful as it use to be.

I can't answer any of those questions and in 22...the fact that all the questions you asked were about New York hip hop artist might be why...now if you ask me questions about southern hip hop I can talk about it all day....never realy listened to new york rap when I was younger or now...even though I know thats where it "began"...

You're comparing Cam'Ron and Ma$e's impact on hip-hop/music to Hendrix/Cobain's on rock/music?

These questions are more geared to an NY resident. I'm 22 and from Cali do you think hip-hop heads should know 2 bars from Original Gangster by Ice-T and be able to name 2 albums by DJ Quik?

Last edited:
most rocker kids are obsessed with kurt cobaine/lynyrd skynyrd/jimi hendrix etc ...anything with a guitar
they love it or hate it and can back it up with crazy facts 

what percentage of hip hop fans 15-24 do you guy's think

can name 2 krs one albums?

can name 2 members from the juice crew

recite 2 bars from kurtis blow "the break"

know cam'ron was a member of  "children of the corn"

know who lords of the underground are ?

know where kanye's "cant a young n' get money anymore "on theraflu  was from

i honestly think if u stopped random kids between 15-24 only about 12% would get those
question right

in this day in age u can download epmd's whole discography for free in 15 minutes , theres a lot of rich history
in 80's and 90's hip hop that i dont think kids are using , especially in a day in  age where im sure most of us know 12+ aspiring rappers it would be nice if there was a training process before kids pick up a mic

i think half the kids rapping are looking at riff raff/soulja/lil b and thinking "damn i could do that"
i listen to somebody like nas and i assure myself aint no chance in hell i need to be in
no damn booth  :lol:

- Return of the Boom Bap & KRS One were his first 2 albums.
- Marley Marl & DJ Mike
- Clap your hands everybody, If you got what it takes, 'Cause I'm Kurtis Blow and I want you to know, That these are the breaks...
- I don't mess with Cam, that's def a NYC thing...
- Cheif Rocka & Here Comes The Lords were my jawns...
- I don't mess with DJ Khaled like that but I know the song...That's more for the younger set...

You're comparing Cam'Ron and Ma$e's impact on hip-hop/music to Hendrix/Cobain's on rock/music?

These questions are more geared to an NY resident. I'm 22 and from Cali do you think hip-hop heads should know 2 bars from Original Gangster by Ice-T and be able to name 2 albums by DJ Quik?

- Ten years ago I used to listen to rappers flow, Talkin' bout the way they rocked the mic at the disco, Talkin' bout the way, They rocked the mic at the disco, I liked how that **** was goin' down, With my own sound, So I tried to write rhymes, Somethin' like them, my boys said, That ain't you Ice...
- I can't remember his albums but I remember the first 2 songs I heard from Quick, Born and Raised In Compton & Tonight...

>D

Last edited:
Terrible comparison is terrible.. OP stop making threads damn

For real doe.
And to be honest, I would compare the kids jockin Cobain and Hendrix to the rap fans who jock on 'Pac and Big. A large majority of them can't name more than 2 albums or 10 songs, they just align themselves with the OG's to gain credibility towards their music choices.

This is ridiculous. I might as well be quizzing you all on the reggae artists that NYers stole their whole style from. 

Dudes were rapping like dudes in the late 90s/2000s back in the 70s. Straight spitting. 

I'll say that rap elitism is pretty bad...but hip-hop is a young mans game anyways. The music wasn't made to age. 

hell yeah

but to answer your question. the reason younger hip hop heads don't respect or do the knowledge on past waves, is because hip hop is a culture of youth and the latest and greatest.

For real doe.
And to be honest, I would compare the kids jockin Cobain and Hendrix to the rap fans who jock on 'Pac and Big. A large majority of them can't name more than 2 albums or 10 songs, they just align themselves with the OG's to gain credibility towards their music choices.

perfect comparison

Last edited:
what annoys me is all the biggie and pac tracks that have been put out after they got got

no, i don't want to listen to 2pac featuring little wayne, i'm sorry
no i don't want to listen to eminem bastardize a biggie classic, i'm sorry

i'm like a rap encyclopedia when it comes to say '80-'00, been listing to rap heavy since 1986 to the early 2000's
but i did not know the answer to your kanye west question - that question is for the youngins

but i agree with want you're saying wholeheartedly

ps - krs is my favorite rapper, not ra da god

i forgot to add why i think this occurs

more & more, faster & faster
everyone rapped up in text text text - don't stop & smell the roses or read a book or do some research
it the environment these kids have been tossed into (which you couldn't even realize unless you experienced what it was like before)

i'm glad i was born in the mid 1970's so i got to kinda see the old way & the new way

i recently took a college history of baseball course at da local university for kicks...
you had kids in there walking around like baseball genuises/history aficionado's who didn't even know
what a split finger glove is or who ty cobb was or what year jackie robinson started playing for the dodgers, etc!
***** *** punks

i forgot to add why i think this occurs
more & more, faster & faster
everyone rapped up in text text text - don't stop & smell the roses or read a book or do some research
it the environment these kids have been tossed into (which you couldn't even realize unless you experienced what it was like before)
i'm glad i was born in the mid 1970's so i got to kinda see the old way & the new way
i recently took a college history of baseball course at da local university for kicks...
you had kids in there walking around like baseball genuises/history aficionado's who didn't even know
what a split finger glove is or who ty cobb was or what year jackie robinson started playing for the dodgers, etc!
***** *** punks
pimp.gif

ask the next hipster you see with a wutang t-shirt how they liked the purple tape , watch them stare at you with a blank face

Last edited:
its cuz rap is still fairly new... them _s back in the day sucked... go back 30 years in rock u got classics upon classics... nobody wanna hear krs one or any of them old ******... **** just doesnt compare as far as song making or lyricism... to me rap didnt exist til 92 cuz that other **** sounds so damn primitive its unlistenable thru my ears

Ÿou aren't talking to the right heads I can discuss sampling the impact of Cretan records ,rhyme schemes all day .amd I'm 20

To each his own, but I hate when youngins speak as if their word is bond...Just say you don't like anything before a certain era & that's your taste. Cool. But to say ish was whack prior to whatever, well that's plain ignorant.

I still rock these jawns...

Afrika Bambaataa & Soul Sonic Force - Planet Rock

KRS One - Criminal Minded

Last edited:
I'll say that rap elitism is pretty bad...but hip-hop is a young mans game anyways. The music wasn't made to age. 

But most of the dudes at the top of the game are well over 30.

Jay
Kanye
Nas
Chainz
Pusha
Wayne
Ross (you should know)
Jeezy
Common
Gucci

Have all had big records (that sold well) in the last year. May have missed a few. I still ***** with TIP and Big Boi.

So.........

You still tend to be so lost when you attempt to discuss music.

Last edited:

Jay
Kanye
Nas
Chainz
Pusha
Wayne
Ross (you should know)
Jeezy
Common
Gucci

Have all had big records (that sold well) in the last year. May have missed a few. I still ***** with TIP and Big Boi.

So.........

I missed something that FutureMD said, "...The music wasn't made to age". Of course taste is subjective, but I think part of what feeds into that notion about rap today (say in the last 10-15 years) is the abject commercial disposable way in which the music has been made. Everyone follows whatever trend that comes along instead of making a statement of their own (aside from a few artists here & there) so when it's all said & done, lots of people sound dated. For me, the songs I posted along with a lot of other artist pre mid 90's still sound as def/hard as when I first heard them. That PE song still get's me hype.

Man if I had to only listen to rappers under 30, I'd probably be left with less than 5 :lol:

Don't let these rock fans fool you like they know anything :lol:

If they did you woulda saw a bunch of kids at the Beach Boys Reunion last year the way they talk about em. But nope just 70 year old men having the time of their life

Jay
Kanye
Nas
Chainz
Pusha
Wayne
Ross (you should know)
Jeezy
Common
Gucci

So.........

The SONGS themselves...not the artists themselves.

Dude is asking us to quote old music. 

Fans of other genres are pretty good at revering old SONGS.

Back
Top Bottom