Arrogant Elitist Politicians FTL: "Could you say 'senator' instead of 'ma'am?'"

Senator might be her title but it isn't like ma'am is disrespectful at all. I'm just shocked that she did this to a general, it wasn't likethis was some Joe off the street, this is a man that probably worked harder than Boxer to reach his position and knows plenty about respect. Notice how shedoesn't even address him by his title while talking down to him, she just jumps right into it. SMH.

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

Originally Posted by Boys Noize

How is this any different than a doctor wanting to be referred to by their title? Or a general or captain wanting to be reffered to as such? They put in the time and effort to reach their position so I don't see what's so crazy about wanting to be addressed in that manner. I've heard doctors ask people to refer to them as Doctor so and so as opposed to Mr. or sir. I've heard professors do the same. Was it awkward? Yeah but she didn't seem like she was trying to be disrespectful or anything.

it would be different if dude said Ms. Boxer...and then she corrected him.....but he said "Ma'am" of all things.
I dunno about you...but that's usually taken as a sign of respect in my book.
Oh, don't get me wrong; I don't see anything wrong with what he said. I think Ma'am is a sign of respect too. Some people are justmore particular about this kind of stuff but I don't see anything wrong with it. She honestly didn't come off as arrogant or anything to me. I'dthink differently of the situation if she was just blatantly disrespectful to the guy.

Originally Posted by northparkblind

roll.gif

i'd smack her right now
smh.gif
She really wasn't even that nice about it....
1. She interrupted the dude mid-sentence!
2. Her tone was not nice
3. Once she said what she had to say she moved it along like what she said was nothing

wow....I didn't know Senator was a title.
laugh.gif
Learn something new every dayapparently...
Originally Posted by theprocessofbelief

Color me shocked that you posted a Democrat.
eyes.gif

You're reaching with this post, in my opinion.
Stop it.
Find me a Republican doing the same thing & I'll post his/her video too!
ALL these arrogant elitist politicians in Washington are
sick.gif

Whether they are Republican, Democrat, or something else
I mean is it any surprise that the government is having the trouble it is having in so many areas with these people in office??
Granted there are SOME good politicians out there.... but not many.

^usually people don't even say ma'am or sir, when they are at one of those hearings.
the General probably said ma'am as a matter of habit.
Pretty much.... he was being polite to begin with.
Originally Posted by the north west

how are you a lakers, yankees and giants fan??

I can understand yankees and giants if you from ny but lakers too??
Kobe Bean Bryant = favorite athlete ever
Originally Posted by Its That Dude

lol. it's not the term limit that is keeping these senators from being voted out.
Expand on what you mean...
Originally Posted by AR Guy

She didn't EARN the title "Senator", she was elected. The General however earned his title.
That is a good point....
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa25

Senator might be her title but it isn't like ma'am is disrespectful at all. I'm just shocked that she did this to a general, it wasn't like this was some Joe off the street, this is a man that probably worked harder than Boxer to reach his position and knows plenty about respect. Notice how she doesn't even address him by his title while talking down to him, she just jumps right into it. SMH.
Pretty much. Good thoughts.

Originally Posted by Diego

Senator McCain?
Senator Obama?
Senator Biden?
Senator Palin?

Was this not the way you often heard these people be reffered to?
indifferent.gif
I mean, hell, I can say CEO Steve Jobs. That's his title too.
...I really didn't know it was an official title to address people as.. like Doctor

in the military, male officers are called "sir" and female officers are called "ma'am". rather than say "Yes, Major Lawrence"you can say "Yes Ma'am".

dude is just used to women in power being called ma'am. no biggie. he showed her proper respect.

sure, she has the right to want to be called senator, it's her title after all. but don't call dude out like that. let it go, who cares.

Originally Posted by Boys Noize

How is this any different than a doctor wanting to be referred to by their title? Or a general or captain wanting to be reffered to as such? They put in the time and effort to reach their position so I don't see what's so crazy about wanting to be addressed in that manner. I've heard doctors ask people to refer to them as Doctor so and so as opposed to Mr. or sir. I've heard professors do the same. Was it awkward? Yeah but she didn't seem like she was trying to be disrespectful or anything.

My opinion on this isn't because she's a Democrat or because I'm from California
laugh.gif
Let me guess. You respect politicians.

As far as I'm concerned a general who most likely has actually earned his title through effort and hard work (and most certainly has contributed more toAmerican society and the nation than 99% of politicians) could call a scum politician anything he pleases.

She didn't EARN the title "Senator", she was elected. The General however earned his title.
She earned it through the grueling campaign process and being chosen by the people to represent them. I think that's enough to warrant atitle.

Would you call the president "Sir"?

Originally Posted by LamarOwnsem

She earned it through the grueling campaign process and being chosen by the people to represent them. I think that's enough to warrant a title.

Yes.
What's the big deal?

If these politicians care about titles so much maybe they're in the wrong political system?

Originally Posted by LamarOwnsem

She earned it through the grueling campaign process and being chosen by the people to represent them. I think that's enough to warrant a title.

I guarantee that if a newscaster started a question with Sir, instead of Mr. President, that Obama wouldn't mind and even if he did, he would go on toanswer the question without making a big deal out of it.
Furthermore:
Becoming President > Becoming a Senator
General > Newscaster

Originally Posted by Diego

Dirtylicious wrote:

Senator McCain?
Senator Obama?
Senator Biden?
Senator Palin?

Was this not the way you often heard these people be reffered to?
indifferent.gif

Spoiler [+]
dont ban me

indifferent.gif

Yeah it was probably rude but I don't think it represents evil in the democrats that TBONE is trying to disguise this post in. Talking about allpoliticians? When have you ever seen him make a thread based on a republican mistake?, AND theres alot of them
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

Originally Posted by Nawth21

Some women are weird about the ma'am thing. Not that she had any right to call him out like that or anything, but the Target cashier called me ma'am like 20 times and I was bout to slap him upside the head. I'm 26, not 66
laugh.gif
But its nothing to do with age,more so respect
ohwell.gif

I say ma'am..I wonder if I offend people.

To a lot of women, it IS an age thing. The young ladies get called Miss, the geriatrics like me get ma'amed
laugh.gif

maybe the age relation is a regional thing though, so I can't speak for everywhere

Whats the big deal?

She asked politely, gave her reason why, and said thank you. That makes her an arrogant elitist?
eyes.gif

If anything the General should know better considering these are dignitaries and in charge of their funding.

Tbone tell us why you really MAD and BITTER?
laugh.gif

When beginning to address one of her questions, Senator Boxer immediately cut him off to correct him.

"You know, do me a favor," Senator Boxer demanded. "Could say 'senator' instead of 'ma'am?'"

"Yes, ma'am," Walsh answered.

"It's just a thing, I worked so hard to get that title, so I'd appreciate it, yes, thank you," Senator Boxer continued.

"Yes, senator," he said.

Originally Posted by SunDOOBIE

Whats the big deal?

She asked politely, gave her reason why, and said thank you. That makes her an arrogant elitist?
eyes.gif

If anything the General should know better considering these are dignitaries and in charge of their funding.

laugh.gif

1. Polite: I guess you didn't notice that she interrupted him mid-sentence or the condescending tone in her voice.
2. Reason why: She gave a reason why, but if we are going to talk about reaching, let's talk about her reason.
3. Thank You: Again, condescending.

Tell us why you oblivious

I could see how she might be urked by it, especially if she was addressing him as general during the questioning. I don't think its crazy but definatelynot necessary.

I actually agree with her...

When/If I become a doctor...ain't no way you calling my name without that Doctor in front of it.

Originally Posted by OptimusPrimeAPhiA

When/If I become a doctor...ain't no way you calling my name without that Doctor in front of it.
but if someone called you sir... would you interrupt them and tell them to call you "doctor?"

wow what a %#!@^. she didn't have to interrupt him mid sentence. "it's just a thing..."
laugh.gif
. And she's talking like that to a General ofall people.

This is some of the most mundane $!*@ ever... And I find it funny that a republican will post something about a democrat...
eyes.gif

You're all hypocrites.

Originally Posted by TrueshotAura

Yeah it was probably rude but I don't think it represents evil in the democrats that TBONE is trying to disguise this post in. Talking about all politicians? When have you ever seen him make a thread based on a republican mistake?, AND theres alot of them
laugh.gif
Disguise?
laugh.gif

A lot of them? Lets see them then.... post up some blunders like this in this thread

Originally Posted by rickybadman

Originally Posted by theprocessofbelief

Color me shocked that you posted a Democrat.
eyes.gif

You're reaching with this post, in my opinion.
He reaches with all his post. This probably made his day at he would post this and not take an L in the thread. Got to love the adjectives he uses to describe her.
Oh yeah, highlight of my day!!! SO AWESOME to post this
roll.gif

Oh yeah, I reach with every post... you didn't know I got those stretch Armstrong arms???
You're just jealous cuz you don't have 'em huh?
Don't hate

Whats the big deal?
eyes.gif

laugh.gif
That was polite???
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Maybe we were raised differently...

Whats the big deal?
eyes.gif

laugh.gif
1. Polite: I guess you didn't notice that she interrupted him mid-sentence or the condescending tone in her voice.
2. Reason why: She gave a reason why, but if we are going to talk about reaching, let's talk about her reason.
4. Tell us why you oblivious
1. Exactly
2. Exactly
3. Exactly
4. Exactly

Originally Posted by OptimusPrimeAPhiA

but if someone called you sir... would you interrupt them and tell them to call you "doctor?"
Exactly.
He was being polite to begin with.... plus she was condescending and made it seem like she was SO important that he HAD TO change how he was addressing her forthe rest of the time he spoke her.

^usually people don't even say ma'am or sir, when they are at one of those hearings.
the General probably said ma'am as a matter of habit.
For the military all civilians are sir or ma'am.

Whats the big deal?

eyes.gif

laugh.gif

Tell us why you oblivious
So interrupting someone mid sentence with a condescending tone makes her an arrogant ELITIST?
laugh.gif

I am oblivious yet you're judging a person based on a 17 second video clip? What does that make you? Ignorant?
eyes.gif

17 seconds was enough time to see her ask a question, the general begin to answer it, and her interrupt him. I don't need a 10 minute video to see theinterruption, it happened within 2-3 seconds. The tone was condescending, people's tone can change multiple times throughout a conversion, but at thatpoint in time, she had a condescending tone and came off as an elitist. Perhaps this was her one and only outburst in her political career, but yes, at thatmoment she came off as an elitist, by disrespecting and talking down to a general.

You're acting like Barbara Boxer is your mom. No need to defend her actions till the end.

Back
Top Bottom