ART DISCUSSION: What is art? Who/what inspires you?

bump, for next time i do shrooms
laugh.gif

Does anyone have any tips on building a portfolio? Like, buying domains and stuff like that? I really want to post some stuff online, but don't really want to use Tumblr.. Much rather have my own website.

Any tips would definitely help
smokin.gif

So I checked out the Richard Serra drawing retrospective yesterday and was really impressed by it. Few singular works "blew me away" but taken as a whole, and with the knowledge of his large scale sculptures in mind, I was impressed. His ability to create an unbearable feeling of heaviness on paper was so similar to his much more well known steel and lead sculptures. I could see detractors easily pointing out how it was just "black paint" on paper but Serra is a perfect example of an artist that should be judged by his entire body of work.

richard-serra-drawings-met.jpg

2741566157_9ea522c813.jpg

serra_amer_flag_worship.jpg

^^I love monochromatic pieces... So minimalist, but at the same time it says so much.

Here's a piece I did a while back:

tongueaction.png

Tongue Action
48x48 inch
acrylic on canvas

I've got a good amount of work on my site intriniscart.tripod.com. Here's some stuff I whipped up last night
the person on their shirt is me.
379522_750484541313_51205362_35637150_2028535868_n.jpg

310536_750474611213_51205362_35636979_964779473_n.jpg

If anyone has time, make sure you go to the Cattelan exhibit at the Guggenheim, it is outstanding.

I would also suggest heading by the New Museum and seeing the Carsten Holler, "Experience", piece. I love it, and you get to interact with the the installation, so it's also fun.

I don't know if he will be showing anywhere soon, but the Ryan Trecartin, "Any Ever" piece that was at MoMA PS1 this summer was a game changer to me. It incorporated so many of the aspects of the generation that I have grown in, that it was so incredibly moving and inspiring to me.

Does anyone know of any artists whose art depicts the human body in a very abstract/distorted form? I am in dire need of some inspiration..

Edit: Oh, and I cosign hugebird... Definitely check out some of Maurizio Cattelan's work... Some of the dopest art I've ever seen, hands down.

Originally Posted by FOG

Does anyone know of any artists whose art depicts the human body in a very abstract/distorted form? I am in dire need of some inspiration..

Edit: Oh, and I cosign hugebird... Definitely check out some of Maurizio Cattelan's work... Some of the dopest art I've ever seen, hands down.

Francis Bacon

figure-in-movement(1).jpg

lying-figure-francis-bacon-1969.jpg

Bacon+Portrait+of+Michel+Leris%252C+1976.jpg

bacon_francis_right_d.jpg

Originally Posted by Boys Noize

So I checked out the Richard Serra drawing retrospective yesterday and was really impressed by it. Few singular works "blew me away" but taken as a whole, and with the knowledge of his large scale sculptures in mind, I was impressed. His ability to create an unbearable feeling of heaviness on paper was so similar to his much more well known steel and lead sculptures. I could see detractors easily pointing out how it was just "black paint" on paper but Serra is a perfect example of an artist that should be judged by his entire body of work.

richard-serra-drawings-met.jpg

2741566157_9ea522c813.jpg

serra_amer_flag_worship.jpg
that 3rd piece, wow.

i adore serra, he is a genius.

That third piece is indeed amazing, although most of his work is in that category....

@hugebird: unfortunately only saw pictures, but looks really good.

@FOG: maybe Willem de Kooning, although those are very-very abstract.

Hmm a question, where are you guys located? How is the art life in NYC? What cities come in behind it? I've heard London is very good as well. Anyone have any info?

I'm in San Diego right now but I'm from the San Francisco Bay Area. After I graduate, I'm thinking of taking a semester in London. If not that, then maybe spend a year in New York, San Francisco, or Shanghai even.

I'm not sure what cities other than London can really compare to NYC as far as contemporary art goes. I want to say San Francisco will catch up to that level eventually. The SFMOMA is going to start expansion in 2013 so hopefully the city can soon say they have one of the best contemporary art museums in the world.

I live in Huntsville, AL. I'm graduating next semester and right now I'm looking at either staying here, going to Nashville (2 hrs away) or moving back home to Kansas City. Ideally I'd like to move somewhere completely foreign to me, (ie: Chicago, Toronto, Cali, or Seattle) because I'll experience sometime new and they're bigger cities than I'm in.

Yeah probably, although personally I've been stunned hat Paris has managed to fall so hard.

Torontos great....

Originally Posted by TheAbove
Great video, I've been unable to explain to people why I get bummed out about my work. It's like my idea is great but my execution botches my idea to a point where I don't like it. Glad you posted this video.

hugebird: If anyone has time, make sure you go to the Cattelan exhibit at the Guggenheim, it is outstanding.

I would also suggest heading by the New Museum and seeing the Carsten Holler, "Experience", piece. I love it, and you get to interact with the the installation, so it's also fun.

I don't know if he will be showing anywhere soon, but the Ryan Trecartin, "Any Ever" piece that was at MoMA PS1 this summer was a game changer to me. It incorporated so many of the aspects of the generation that I have grown in, that it was so incredibly moving and inspiring to me.
ME:
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
realtalk, I was very impressed by the Cattelan show. Hanging $@%% in the atrium = dopeness. Wish I coulda seen that Trecartin, "Any Ever" piece, that dude is on some next level $@%%. intense as %+$. 
Boyz Noise: I'm not sure what cities other than London can really compare to NYC as far as contemporary art goes. I want to say San Francisco will catch up to that level eventually. The SFMOMA is going to start expansion in 2013 so hopefully the city can soon say they have one of the best contemporary art museums in the world.

ME:  
happy.gif
 international cities i kno for dope art- NYC  / LA  / Miami  / Berlin  / Paris  / SF / Barcelona / Chicago / London / Mexico City / also some cool stuff coming out of northern europe, don't know the individual cities. As far as USA under the radar art scenes, more provincial art: Providence, Oakland, Richmond, VA, Baltimore, Philly, Detroit

also, i'm pumped for the SFMOMA's renovation.
The same architect who did this:

operahouse.jpg

And building these pools:

9_11-memorial-plaza-one-world-trade-center-south-pool-waterfalls2.jpg.scaled1000.jpg

Are going to this for SFMOMA:

dezeen_SFMOMA-Expansion-by-Snohetta-top2.jpg

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

A pretty great video on the art of bookmaking. When I took a class on this last semester, it was incredibly rewarding. I want to further pursue printmaking and bookmaking in the near future.

Back
Top Bottom