ART DISCUSSION: What is art? Who/what inspires you?

Originally Posted by Boys Noize

First step to making a painting less flat is to remove black from your palette altogether. It might sound ridiculous but after you remove black from your palette you'll wonder why you ever used it in the first place. Anywhere that you can use black, you can use a color instead. You need something dark? Consider using purple or brown. Want it cooler? Add more blue. Want it warmer? Red or orange. Another way to create depth is to have value shifts. Not everything is one shade, there are variations of that color. So for instance, the red ranger's helmet is definitely not all just one color red. there are different shades of reds, pinks, magentas, yellows, oranges. I'm assuming you're working from an image. If so, really look and see all the complexities of the color. Another way to create depth is to have a figure/ground relationship. Right now your heads are just floating in empty space. There is nothing separating or signifying that it is not apart of the background. With your composition, I'm not sure how you can do that.. Another thing you might want to play around with is bleeding, which means having certain things come off the canvas. You don't have to show everything. This can also create depth.
Other criticisms I have are that the line work needs to be cleaner. For something with such a heavy emphasis on geometry, it's crucial that you get those lines clean. The application of the paint looks a bit sloppy. You can tighten it up. It looks like you're using acrylic so maybe the quick drying properties of the medium are working against you. If you feel you need more time to work with the paint before it dries, consider adding a painting medium to the acrylic that can make it dry slower or maybe even consider using oil paints. It seems daunting but once you get the hang of it, you'll forget about acrylic. 

I do like the contrasting colors and shapes though. Bring some depth into it and tighten it up and it can get somewhere.

I just remembered that I forgot to thank you for this advice.
Thanks bro.

glad to see my city of Atlanta coming up in the art world...right now, the High Museum has the Picasso to Warhol exhibit going on and in February the Kaws exhibition

Originally Posted by WILLd540

I did.

This wall was dank:
de-kooning-two.jpg
nice.

Originally Posted by iYen

Originally Posted by Boys Noize

First step to making a painting less flat is to remove black from your palette altogether. It might sound ridiculous but after you remove black from your palette you'll wonder why you ever used it in the first place. Anywhere that you can use black, you can use a color instead. You need something dark? Consider using purple or brown. Want it cooler? Add more blue. Want it warmer? Red or orange. Another way to create depth is to have value shifts. Not everything is one shade, there are variations of that color. So for instance, the red ranger's helmet is definitely not all just one color red. there are different shades of reds, pinks, magentas, yellows, oranges. I'm assuming you're working from an image. If so, really look and see all the complexities of the color. Another way to create depth is to have a figure/ground relationship. Right now your heads are just floating in empty space. There is nothing separating or signifying that it is not apart of the background. With your composition, I'm not sure how you can do that.. Another thing you might want to play around with is bleeding, which means having certain things come off the canvas. You don't have to show everything. This can also create depth.
Other criticisms I have are that the line work needs to be cleaner. For something with such a heavy emphasis on geometry, it's crucial that you get those lines clean. The application of the paint looks a bit sloppy. You can tighten it up. It looks like you're using acrylic so maybe the quick drying properties of the medium are working against you. If you feel you need more time to work with the paint before it dries, consider adding a painting medium to the acrylic that can make it dry slower or maybe even consider using oil paints. It seems daunting but once you get the hang of it, you'll forget about acrylic. 

I do like the contrasting colors and shapes though. Bring some depth into it and tighten it up and it can get somewhere.

I just remembered that I forgot to thank you for this advice.
Thanks bro.
No problem. Feel free to hit me up on here or PM anytime if you're curious about anything else.

Art History professor let us opt out of taking the final so we are taking a class field trip to the High Museum instead on Tuesday. Kinda pumped.

Also, as I've stated earlier, I do printmaking but I HATED making books. I don't fold or cut well and it clearly showed, my books were atrocious
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by p0tat0 5alad

Art History professor let us opt out of taking the final so we are taking a class field trip to the High Museum instead on Tuesday. Kinda pumped.

Also, as I've stated earlier, I do printmaking but I HATED making books. I don't fold or cut well and it clearly showed, my books were atrocious
30t6p3b.gif
I'm pretty mediocre at cutting and folding too. Although when it comes to things I actually care about I'm a perfectionist so I'll spend the extra time to get it right. It's a gift and a curse
laugh.gif

I'm thinking of taking another printmaking class next semester. I'd take another art of the book class but the time commitment is 
sick.gif
 I know it'd be worth it but I'm not sure how I'd fit it in.

I wish I had photographed this one book project I did before I gave it as a gift to a friend. It was a Japanese style book with exposed stitching and I did a bunch of photo transfers in it. Should have made extra copies of that.

I would probably suck at bookmaking as well.

Oh and boys noize, about the black issue on your palette, I think it's a very personal thing, and at the beginning it isn't a bad idea to avoid it and learn to darken using other alternatives, like the impressionists did. On the contrary I think black is amazing if used correctly (I use it a lot, although I wouldn't swear on the correct part...haha), I love Soulages works, Rothkos monochromes or many baroque paintings use black terrifically. SO I think it's good to use it after a while or if you feel the need, but it is definitely dangerous. 
laugh.gif

I made a book and photo transferred all the SSFIV chars & their personal information on the pages
laugh.gif
. I am super cool

Originally Posted by nocomment6

I would probably suck at bookmaking as well.

Oh and boys noize, about the black issue on your palette, I think it's a very personal thing, and at the beginning it isn't a bad idea to avoid it and learn to darken using other alternatives, like the impressionists did. On the contrary I think black is amazing if used correctly (I use it a lot, although I wouldn't swear on the correct part...haha), I love Soulages works, Rothkos monochromes or many baroque paintings use black terrifically. SO I think it's good to use it after a while or if you feel the need, but it is definitely dangerous. 
laugh.gif
Yeah, definitely a personal thing. I can only speak on personal experience using black with other colors. it tends to grey them out and flatten if mixed wet on wet. If you're painting on top of dry layers, black could be really useful. I think artists starting out often think that in order to get a darker value, they have to add black and that's not true.

I might be wrong but I don't think Rothko actually used black in his paintings. His painting technique of layering thin colors over one another creates the "black" that you see. They're actually reds and blues and purples. I'm pretty sure even his Black Paintings at the Rothko Chapel don't actually use black. 

Hmm did some research, he did use multiple layers to darken and to achieve the outstanding colors and tones he did, but he used black, both as a layer and to darken his paintings. But his work, is just wow, one of my favorites and they always show something new.

Anyone ever been to Art Basel?

It's like Spring Break for me. It just finished up. I was documenting an Israeli street artist, as well as attending tons of events with my press pass. Amazing, amazing, amazing. This was my 5th Basel of many more to come. I recommend anyone who is interested in the arts to make the trip down here (Miami) one December. Basel is the sister event to the most prominent art fair in the world.

This year was more extravagant than ever, my eyes are bleeding from the amount of beautiful work i have seen the last 10 days.

I haven't even read this whole thread but I frequent SF art shows all the time. Just some photos of stuff:

Graff:

purple-haze-4.jpg

purple-haze-5.jpg

purple-haze-10.jpg

purple-haze-11.jpg

purple-haze-7.jpg

purple-haze-8.jpg

purple-haze-6.jpg

Mars 1:
human-being-2.jpg

human-being-3.jpg

human-being-41.jpg

human-being-5.jpg

human-being-6.jpg

human-being-7.jpg

human-being-91.jpg

I'll post more later. Most are on my blog as well.

I don't really follow the art scene and its various movements and starts but I do have a few artists that I really like.
Takashi Murakami http://www.kaikaikiki.co.jp/
A girl in my school. I don't think she would be oka with me sharing her information.
More will be added on as they come to mind. Really interested to see where this thread goes. Nice idea O.P.

Originally Posted by nocomment6

Lovin' those portraits, are they done by a felt tip marker?

I think it's those tech pens that you can find at the art store. Some of it even looks like old fashion Bic pens too. Ian Johnson is dope. He does graphics for Western Edition skateboards and most of the portraits are of jazz musicians.

Sorry to flood the thread. I am just dumping out what is on my blog. I am fortunate that the SF scene has a pretty good art scene, especially the urban scene.

Mr. Cartoon:
its-showtime-1.jpg

its-showtime-2.jpg

its-showtime-4.jpg

Usugrow:
shiganist-5.jpg

shiganist-7.jpg

shiganist-8.jpg

shiganist-9.jpg

shiganist-11.jpg

shiganist-20.jpg

shiganist-6.jpg