Asian Culture Discussion Thread

Someone please give me a crash course 101 on Filipino food. There's a Seafood City nearby but I pretty much don't go.
I have very limited exposure to real Filipino food, ranging from Jolibee and Max's, breakfast at Its Good Ha, to Sesig (without knowing what it was) and San Miguels about 20 years ago somewhere in Manila.

I imagine other Asians must feel the same way about non "mainstream" Korean food, the way I do about non "mainstream" Filipino food. Unknown and risky.
There are too many familiar options but I do want to expand. For Koreans, even can be food very "situational" and has "context". But I have always Korean dishes and ingredients are the most non threatening and "easy" of our different Asian cuisines.

Want real Filipino food, avoid goldilocks.

There is a bomb Filipino spot in San Bruno called "patio Filipino" I didn't really start eating traditional Filipino food til I got to my mid 20s. Mainly cause i was only exposed to whack restaurants. My girl found some legit ones and I'd eat there 10/10.

Not sure about Sea Food City's turo-turo since i haven't been there in a minute, but If you have an Island Pacific around you, they have their own little turo-turo restaurant as well and they're pretty good, at least the one close by me. They have great selection of dishes ranging from kare-kare, bopis, bistek, sinigang na baboy, chop suey, mongo, goat or beef kaldereta, chicharron bulaklak, bbq on a stick, crispy pata, dinuguan, etc. That joint practically has the closest and most authentic Filipino food you'll eat. My parents usually go there to buy a few dishes when they're too lazy to cook at home, :lol:.

None of you guys have a Manila Sunset near you? That spot is clutch for cheap meals when they have their specials. Also everytime I go there, I have to get an order of their bibingka. :smokin

This pho slander is hurting me :frown:

Try more places, the places you've been going to may be cheating with the broth by using the flavoring cubes or powder.

None of you guys have a Manila Sunset near you? That spot is clutch for cheap meals when they have their specials. Also everytime I go there, I have to get an order of their bibingka.
smokin.gif
Manila sunset is still around?! Where?!

I haven't been to one since I was a little kid.

Palabok and some bibinka 
smokin.gif

Palabok slander smh

Wit da chicharonees and the egg and the saws??????

Palabok >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> any other asian noody dish real tawk

chicken adobo slander smh

Thats what santonino eats rite there

If u tell a filipino u dont like adobo u gonna get cut real tawk
Palabok is my favorite Filipino noodle dish. If I had a choice, Pancit can go kick rocks 10/10.

I'm not a big fan of pancit either. If someone made a beef / steak version then it'd be improved.

The small, yellow pan de sal with butter and scrambled eggs was piff. Also good with pimento spread.

Reps to a bunch of posts ^^^^

Time to go hunting around OC.

Thanks for the tips. If anyone needs some Korean 101 hit me up
grin.gif

Manila sunset is still around?! Where?!

I haven't been to one since I was a little kid.

Palabok and some bibinka 
smokin.gif
there's one at the island pacific in vallejo, the one at the seafood city in concord got closed down
Yall ever put da pansit inside pan de sal ????

Btw pan de sal
glasses.gif
pancit as pan de sal filling = yasssss 
nthat.gif

pan de sal dipped in coffee = 
nthat.gif

did you guys notice how filipino food is hella expensive for how much they skimp? 
roll.gif
 i got arroz caldo from manila sunset and 75% of the container was chicken thigh bones. i felt violated 
laugh.gif

Last edited:
^^^Bro......I had Filipino food where they blatantly took my food and microwaved it in front of me. I was like what the heck?! I am not having your leftovers.

Yeah, Filipino seems to be generally pricey.

Especially the bbq on a stick. I bought four last week from a Filipino store out here and it was $10.
mean.gif

Yeah, Filipino seems to be generally pricey.

Especially the bbq on a stick. I bought four last week from a Filipino store out here and it was $10.:smh:

Yeah, for BBQ sticks it's better to just get a good recipe and make yourself a tray or two. I prefer the ones that don't have much chewy fat on them. Ihawan in NY is appreciated though.

Yeah, for BBQ sticks it's better to just get a good recipe and make yourself a tray or two. I prefer the ones that don't have much chewy fat on them. Ihawan in NY is appreciated though.
Yup, Sliced pork butt or pork belly marinated in this:

And you're set.
smokin.gif

Back
Top Bottom