Ask the Barber

Where can I go to get my clippers sharpened? I got a new blade and got it set just right, but I still don't think it's getting as close as it should. Can I just go to the barber shop and ask or what?

How are the wahl mini pro's for lining up and stuff? I just need it to do basic tapers and side burns and that kinda stuff in between haircuts. I'm not looking for the most expensive clippers, just something that will get the job done and have my hairline looking right

Glad this thread popped up.

By this time next year I'll be a licensed barber and was wondering what type of money do I expect to be making off the bat? How long did it take for you current barbers to build up your clientel and how much more do you make now then when you first started cutting?

Fambs what trimmer do I use to keep my face trimmed like this?
SHAVE-YOUR-STYLE-AWARDS-50-CENTcrop800x600_01_95a50842af.jpg

whats up guys just started cutting hair so still getting the hang of it. gotta question what are some helpful tips on how to taper, and then how to fade/blend? thanks in advance guys.. gotta learn all this before i move so i can do my own hair.

Originally Posted by eashawty

has anybody used andis bump care for razor bumps, & would u recommend it? 
dpitte.jpg
You don't need that product.  It would be a lot cheaper if you made your own.  

*All items can be purchased at a beauty supply store*

I laugh every time I see a post about Lebron's hair cuts because i actually know who cuts his hair and Wades hair here in Miami. The guy has ill sneaker game Lebron stays hooking him up with the sick PEs and early releases.

do yall use the same blade to line up on everyone?

seen some barbers argue in the shop once one dude said he would charge for a fresh blade if the want it, the others acted like use a new blade all the time but i know they don't...at least dude was honest and said he would charge for a new blade

Originally Posted by Joe Billionaire

seen some barbers argue in the shop once one dude said he would charge for a fresh blade if the want it, the others acted like use a new blade all the time but i know they don't...at least dude was honest and said he would charge for a new blade
Place I go to they use a new blade everytime,( its 2 bucks extra for the edge up), My barber told me they have to use a new blade because its so sharp it takes little skin off, then you feel it when they put the alachol on. He told me never go to a place that doesnt use new blades.

Originally Posted by freakydestroyer

Originally Posted by MrYoungMoney

Originally Posted by freakydestroyer

Fades and tapers. what do you recommend?

Thanks

Wahl Seniors or Andi's Master, you can maybe catch 'em on sale.
Google Sally's, and if you drive by "Beauty Supply" stores don't be ashamed to walk in there.

They carry clippers at cheaper prices.

On sale: http://www.sallybeauty.com/hair-clipper/WAHL06,default,pd.html?cgid=Men05

Maybe you can get some Outliners too (On sale): http://www.sallybeauty.com/outliner-trimmer/SBS-395005,default,pd.html?cgid=Men05

But, you will need to buy these guards for the Wahl's: http://www.sallybeauty.com/Cutting-Combs/SBS-785170,default,pd.html?cgid=Men05
Good looking out thanks. So the Outliner is just to line up?? Bear with me, I'm entirely new to this, just want to be sure.
laugh.gif
Yes, I mean you can use it for a bald head/buzz facial hair down also. 
Or, if you want to start cutting hair you can use it for bald fades.

Originally Posted by M4rioL

is there a size 9 or 10 clipper attachment? my wahl only came up to a 8 and looking for a 9/10 would help my hairstyle so much

No, they stop at 8. 
I have heard of a 10 guard for the Andi's but most of their clippers can't mow throw hair that long... 

You might need that shear work!

Originally Posted by DiPlOMaT007

does powder really make a differences? Its so messy and i hate that it gets on my collar

Not really, I mean it does clean off excess hair. 
Might have a nice scent to it so you don't go around smelling like hair. 

It's not required though. 

Your barber should be folding your collar into your shirt regardless though. 

Let him know though, your paying for his services so why not get what you want or how you wanted?

Originally Posted by McFlyer

Which would you guys prefer the wahl balder or the magic clips? I usually prefer a 0-2 all around. Can you use guards with the wahl balder?

Yes, you can use the Wahl Balder with all the guards.
Only down side there is no lever! 

You can;t go shorter than bald and a 1/16th...

Originally Posted by BaltimoreGutta

I have Andis T-Outliners...I want to make them cut sharper but I heard, you have to use a blade setter or something. Anything have experience with this?

You can do it by eye, like setting it yourself.
You don't need the blade setter, I recommend it because it can become frustrating trying to set it by eye.

I hope to get a video up on simple things like this soon NT fam', y'all give me a week or so! 

Originally Posted by StrongMind3

im having issues when cutting my own hair.

when i reach the crown i have a hard time not cutting against the grain since that's where the hair starts to swirl for me and i usually end up with a bald patch up top.

any tips on what i can do to avoid this?
Trial, and error fam'! 
Go with how the hair flow grows other wise you'll cut too much or plug yourself. 

Have a brother or sister cut it? 

Originally Posted by NCTwin

Where can I go to get my clippers sharpened? I got a new blade and got it set just right, but I still don't think it's getting as close as it should. Can I just go to the barber shop and ask or what?

If they're brand new blade there's no point in sharpening them... 
Make sure you pressed down on the blade to get them closer, other wise you have a gap in between the blade!

Originally Posted by Joe Billionaire

I don't honestly... 
It's a common issue, my problem with using that same blade on someone else that you used on other's is possible blood contamination. 

I don't know what my clients do outside my chair. 

Sleep with X amount of girls, do drugs with needles, going in raw, etc... 

AIDS is always the number 1 thing on my mind, as well as other STD's.  

Edit: I know plent of places that charge $5 for 100 blades! 

No sense in saying they need to be charged for using a new blade! 

Things are worth like 50 cents! 
grin.gif

Back
Top Bottom