ATTN METHOD MAN, can we update the look/function on the forum?

Care to weigh in on the premium subscription? I would also like to see negs make an appearance.

you won't buy a girlfriend a valentines gift but you'd pay for a random website. Makes sense.
laugh.gif

We've barely been on Huddler and honestly this is the best the forum has ran by far compared to Yuku and ez. Plus NT mobile is the **** you guys remember how tough it was to navigate on your phone before that?

I do 99% of my NT browsing on my phone/tablet, and the difference between browsing on Yuku and now is night and day. An app would be nice for notifications, but like Meth said it is a very expensive thing to do.

NT mobile >>>>>

I rarely use mobile to browse. If I'm on, it's my laptop at home or my work computer throughout the day. Hard to keep up with fast-moving threads from my iPhone.

this is probably an issue on my end, but NT takes forever to render on safari, and as of late, sometimes chrome (tho chrome is for the most part good). I'm on a mid 2010 core 2 duo MBP so idk if that has anything to do with it, as i feel like modern laptops load the site faster.

I'm running 50/50 Fios btw.

NT mobile doesn't flow well imo. typing in the reply box in chrome (running android) lags a lot. its useable, but could be better. not on a struggle phone either lol.

the rep system fluctuates. i've seen my reps hit one number only to go down by 50 or something. doesn't really matter in the end, i just see it as odd.

when is that PG13 NT section opening :nerd: (I'm jk....sorta lol)

otherwise i think the site works write. no more yuku crashes...could def use an update to accommodate new screen resolution standards..

Last edited:

I think some of you guys have forgotten what it was like to see the wizard pop up. We've got it good with the way NT is right now. Perhaps it's just me, but this place is great at being just a message board site. It seems like some of you guys want a more interactive social media type of website/UI, and I don't see how NT stands to benefit from that. For what it's worth, I think it would be cool to have a thread ticker/notifications, but negs do nothing more than add to the already inflated egos on this site. And Anti, you're my dude, but I can't see the benefits of paying for anything on NT under the guise of it being premium. I personally miss the days where new cats would come to the forum and get roasted for trolling instead of simply reported. This site has mostly been for the lulz, and a place to kick back and enjoy as far as I'm concerned. But as a lot of us have gotten older over the years, it seems like the mood for the place has gotten, and continues to get, more and more serious.

If you remember what browsing the desktop site was like while using a cell phone, you wouldn't dare utter a negative word about NT Mobile.

Last edited:
My only mobile complaint is that photo uploads seem to default to 200x400. Sorry if someone already posted this. Is there a way to change this?

Something as minor as making the banner and buttons flat instead of ios 6 3d would go a long way

Getting rid of button frames etc

Last edited:
I have no issues with NT.

I'd rather put money down to have an NT Investigator find out what happened to Cameron Nelson's Saturn Skyline. 
nerd.gif

Last edited:
I didnt realize people actually did care about reps. It's a pretty number to look at but doesnt really have much worth.

I didnt realize people actually did care about reps. It's a pretty number to look at but doesnt really have much worth.

I don't even see reps on my phone.

Does anyone else have issues embedding pics on their Android device via Firefox? It never works. I use the standard Samsung browser to upload pictures.

My only mobile complaint is that photo uploads seem to default to 200x400. Sorry if someone already posted this. Is there a way to change this?

After you embed and it pastes that link into the text box, tinker with the numbers. If you look closely, that '200' and '400' are actually in the pasted link.

EDIT: Just realized that you might've meant that you wanted to change a setting so that it doesn't default to 200x400 at all. That would be a good addition.

As for the topic, I agree with leaving negative reps out (would get lame in no time), not bothering with an app, and the image gallery being wonky at times on mobile (sometimes I'll tap on a picture in a thread and get taken to the start of the gallery in that enlarged view instead.)

I'd still love for posts with more than like 4-5 pictures to be automatically spoilered so we don't have pages of people quoting the same long *** set of images over and over again.

Last edited:

NEGATIVE REP BUTTON
It's not part of the system and it's not something they intend to add at any point.  The point of the "thumbs up" button is to help surface good content, whether it be informative, uplifting, or entertaining.  We don't people engaged in retaliatory rep wars, constantly giving everything a thumbs down if they dislike the user who posted it, etc.  

We want the atmosphere here to be positive.  We want to celebrate and reward positive behavior.  That's what the reputation system is supposed to be about.  

The "negative" button is the report button.  Content that doesn't meet our standards should be reported for removal.
Care to weigh in on the premium subscription? I would also like to see negs make an appearance.
I understand that there are some people out there who would pay for an ad free experience, or for the ability to instantly add listings to the buy/sell area, but the number is too small to even warrant the development of that - or the maintenance involved in checking subscription status and processing payment. 

There are, I believe, around 1 million different people checking NikeTalk over the course of any given month.  We'd rather see features that benefit ALL of us than put time into something that really is only of interest to 20 or 30 power users.  

There's value in offering people a legitimate ad-free option that supports the site without stealing it (as ad blocker effectively does) given that some ad networks really aren't doing their jobs when it comes to proper screening, but we'd rather put the work into solving (or at least minimizing) the problem for everyone than solving it for a select few willing to pay.

There's virtually no chance the subscription income would even offset the cost of development. 
I'd just like a new post alert on mobile like the site does on a computer
That would be great.  There are still a few page types that don't yet have mobile support.  Everyone knows that mobile is important, and search engines now penalize pages that do not have mobile optimization, so there's strong motivation there for mobile - but it's worth noting that NikeTalk's mobile usage is something of an outlier with respect to the network as a whole.  We receive a far greater percentage of mobile views than any other site on the Huddler network, so the need for those features is greater on our community than it is across the network - and obviously they're going to prioritize in accordance with the network as a whole.  

We were, by far, the largest community on Yuku.  That's not so on Huddler, much less Wikia.  Wikia is now, by some measures, a top 25 destination on the Internet for North American audiences.  The upshot of that is that the platform has access to greater resources - and that we get to work with greater people than ever before.  That's what allows us to have a great mobile site, to have 99.9% uptime, to have that real time post notifier on desktop, and all of the other features people are now starting to take for granted that would never have been possible on our previous platform.

It also allows us to do things like NikeTalk Live 2016.  That should be considered a "platform feature."  

There are a lot of positives to that, but we also have to accept that our top priority won't necessarily be the network's top priority.  A new post alert on mobile is something that everyone could see as a positive inclusion for the platform, but isn't necessarily something I can see them making a top priority - because most other communities are less reliant on mobile and would prefer to see other improvements take precedence.
the rep system fluctuates. i've seen my reps hit one number only to go down by 50 or something. doesn't really matter in the end, i just see it as odd.
When a user is banned, any reputation points they've awarded are removed.  This allows us to instantly rectify "reputation fraud."  It also helps the reputation counter do what it's designed to do: recognize quality content.  Let's say a racist is giving a "thumbs up" to every talking point he agrees with in a Donald Trump thread.  When that user is banned, we don't want the content a racist favors to continue to derive benefit from his endorsement.  Odds are, whatever that user liked is NOT quality content - and it may not even be something we want to appear on our forums at all.  

A lot of sites use points as an attempt to "gamify" their systems, which was a big design fad a few years ago.  They want people to get addicted to some aspect of it.  I can see people treating reputation points like a "score", but that's not really the intent here.  Removing "points" would be awful for the NBA.  It would make no sense for Scottie Pippen's career points total to go DOWN because the NBA decided to invalidate every basket he scored against Rex Chapman.  The goal here isn't to keep score, but to recognize quality content.  Over time, this is compiled such that users who've been around longer and have more recommended content are recognized - and that's intended as sort of a shorthand effort to identify veterans who've contributed a lot of well received posts.  It's not an all time scoring list.  

Is there a better way to accomplish that?  Is it possible to develop something more akin to a player efficiency rating?  Probably, but that's not where the work is right now.  I didn't design the system, so all I can do at this point is relay the intent behind it. 

If we had our way, you would need to HAVE reps in order to GIVE reps - but that's a system that we would've needed in place on day one.  That way, the staff would be recognizing good content at the beginning and we'd be recognizing positive contributions rather than using it as an "agree" button.  As it is, we just accept that the number is of limited value, but it isn't entirely meaningless - and anything that creates an attachment between a user and their account is, itself, a positive.  We want people to be proud to be part of our community.

Fair enough. A question about the negs though, I've seen instances where people on the site have negative reputation, that leads me to assume that the neg feature does exist.

I think it would be abused when it's first implemented, same way as the reps were but over time it would be something that's appropriately used.

Back
Top Bottom