Black neighborhood rejects Trader Joe's

You do realize thats what church does, right?
vast majority of churches Christian lead churches.... are populated by single black mothers... these same women who are leading the way in unplanned unmarried children lower education rates/test scores.... high prison rates, and number one in obesity... So are you saying they aint picking up what the church is putting down... They attending class and aint learning the lessons.

Or are you saying core values are living unhealthy lifestyles... being fiscally irresponsible having multiple kids by multiple men and being grossly overweight? Because that's what fills the majority of the black Christian churches on a regular basis.

Sources again.

Also I would like what churches you're going to that mostly populated by single black mothers. :evil:

Last edited:
The OP article makes it seem as if the PAALF flat out rejected Trader Joe's, they wanted affordable housing added to the development as well as a community binding agreements which would guarantee that the area would actually benefit, because of the "controversy" this caused Trader Joe's to then decide to pull out of the deal

Y'all in here acting like gentrification is some type of conspiracy theory or something
eyes.gif

this is from the Portland Development Commission themselves:
 PDC has been in existence for over 50 years and has evolved continuously throughout. Obviously the early forms of urban renewal were incredibly destructive to minority communities. Even after we moved on from slum clearance," we still engaged in activities designed primarily to increase property values without sufficient counterbalancing activities to maintain affordability and opportunities for local residents. There is no sense in hiding from this past - the important point is to learn from it. In recent years, we've tried to tailor programs and projects to provide more opportunities for existing small businesses and property owners, and our housing set aside is a commitment to maintain a supply of affordable housing. None of this is enough, but we believe we are headed in the right direction, and look forward to working with community leaders to enhance our response to gentrification and displacement."
They've literally admitted themselves that they're responsible for the gentrification that has taken place in the area but y'all wonder why community leaders would be skeptical of them 
mean.gif

This is the letterr the PAALF wrote to the City of Portland regarding the development:

http://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/929379/paalf-letter-regarding-trader-joes.pdf

Some excerpts:
A new Trader Joes will increase the desirability of the neighborhood to non­ oppressed populations, thereby increasing the economic pressures that are responsible for the displacement of low­income and Black residents.  The choice to not provide family appropriate affordable housing above the proposed Trader Joes retail space is consistent with a long standing series of actions that between the 2000 and 2010 census displaced over 10,000 people out of Inner NE Portland.
 The City and the PDC are aware of the devastating impacts of urban renewal on the Black community (Bureau of Planning 1993), yet have failed to successfully or completely implement any of the mitigating and potentially ameliorating policies promised in the Albina Plan or in the Interstate Corridor Urban Renewal Area Plan
  It is claimed that the area surrounding the property is a food desert and thus, the proposed Trader Joes, will support existing low ­income residents. Food deserts exist in Portland, but not in Inner NE with several grocery stores, both small and large chains, within 2 miles of the property.

Last edited:
and increase their test scores.... increase overall graduation rates.... cure obesity...reduce prison recidivist rates..... and close legs.... Iuno why values/education/healthy choices wouldn't work...nah that sounds to radical out the box a unorthodox.... Its utter ridiculous to think that stepping away from the tablet and on to a treadmill will help with obesity rates....its absurd to think closing wshh and WikiLeaks and opening up wall street would help with education and overall world knowledge... to think it would be nuts that posted phd's instead of posting selfies pics would help men not see u as mere objects and thus treating you as such would possibly slow down these hip trend of multi men and bastard babies....

These numbers are all trending downward/positively. So we must be doing something better. :smile:

:rolleyes Even though these community leaders are corrupt, you would still applaud them just because it's "RARE"? Do these PAALF leaders even live in that neighborhood/community? I too would be pissed if I live in that neighborhood and these leaders chased out a developer that wanted to invest 2.4 million dollars into the neighborhood. Let's see easy access to groceries and a shopping area, or an empty run down vacant lot? Gee I wonder what I would rather have. It's almost like these leaders want poverty to continue in these neighborhoods just so they can stay in power... sickening!

Why wouldn't they live in those neighborhoods? And the plot was only being sold for $500K. How can you assume that there are no locations for groceries nearby? The point of the matter is Trader Joes attracts a certain clientele. As that clientele begins to move into the city to be closer to such locations, new, expensive rental units pop up followed by more stores and services that cater to these individuals, which then move the original inhabitants out. This happens in literally every major city.

Hold up did somebody post proof that these particular leaders were corrupt? :nerd:

Also where in the article does it say Trader Joe's was going to invest 2.4 million in the community?

http://news.investors.com/ibd-edito...anizers-who-conserve-portland-food-desert.htm

Hectoring the private chain with racially tinged language, wealthy poverty-racketeers from a foundation-funded group called the Portland African American Leadership Forum claimed that a $2.4 million store on a vacant lot in a run-down part of northeast Portland would gentrify the area, driving up retail prices and driving out the local black community.

Why wouldn't they live in those neighborhoods? And the plot was only being sold for $500K. How can you assume that there are no locations for groceries nearby? The point of the matter is Trader Joes attracts a certain clientele. As that clientele begins to move into the city to be closer to such locations, new, expensive rental units pop up followed by more stores and services that cater to these individuals, which then move the original inhabitants out. This happens in literally every major city.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/tom-bl...e-backward-looking-group-which-prevented-deve

As Trader Joe's announced its decision, the community organizers were left to hold a press conference on an empty lot (see Google maps for proof) to explain to angry residents that they had nothing against the grocery. They just wanted to bring back jobs as well as blacks to the neighborhood.

As if keeping it a wasteland devoid of investment was the way to draw them back.

"This is not what the neighborhood people want," resident Kymberly Jeka told the Oregonian. Added another disgusted resident, Tran Nghi: "They (the community organizers) don't (even) live here anymore. They don't come to neighborhood cleanups."

Now, thanks to the self-appointed environmental stewards, the vacant lot will remain vacant, housing occupancy will remain depressingly low and the nearest grocery store will still be 12 blocks away.

You really think people are going to church and praying to lose weight?
yes ive seen ppl pray for health...and healing...be consoled by others with the if no one loves you jesus loves you and you should be happy and comfortable in your skin... when in reality it should be look your fat unhealthy grossly overweight and need to hit the gym asap.... Yes ive heard for ppl pray for a money windfall or financial situation... improve... what I haven't seen is a financial advisor look at the weekly income and market and plan a budget to which their living can improve. Yes ive seen ppl pray they kids get into a good college.... instead of schrimping and saving up throughout the yrs and putting away money so they can pray for their college. Ppl praying for health improvements... paying tithes and skimping out on healthcare or simply not paying for it at all... or lived a detriment life aka drinking bad eating habits. What I haven't seen is church provide health care plans... open up gyms have free dietitians, psychologist for many of the mental illnesses that plague the black community... All the things that are plaguing the black community... So to answer your question have I seen/heard ppl pray for better days...yes. Have I seen them in large provide goods services to accomondate the things NO. Have I heard/seen them take money and tell them to pray on it yes...

I could see your argument if they did both... hell I could see your argument if they just offered holistic healing and the overall state of the black community showed improvement... But outside of disposable income the current state of African americans is worst overall then it has been since damn near jim crow days even beyond that...yet attendance has went up.

Hell even in prison when education was allowed and church wasn't pushed.... there was far less return rates.... Now that education is gone.... and pretty much the only thing you can read and get educated on or attend is church... recidivism is at what 89%... So education is less of a priority there and church is waaaaaaaaaaaay more of a priority yet condition and crimes...returned rates are at an all time high...Cats were far less likely to return 30-40 yrs ago moved on and lived productive lives... took away educations and trades... and pushed church... damn near 9 outta 10 return to jail repeatedly only to to committed a more heinous crime... never to live a productive lifestyle. So don't really see the strides there either.... or is holistic healing chained and bound and cant penetrate the ways of the prison walls.

For something to be working with more ppl attending yet conditions are worse...worse that they have ever been... doesn't show improvement. Thus is a detriment. I don't understand please help me how the more of something things get worse is a good thing. I mean like I said the numbers and facts are facts... I mean if you BELIEVE that the community at large is better because of that then it is just that you BELIEVE end of the day fact the history highs in dropouts, babies out of wedlock, prison rates and overall health with obesity leading the way  say an entirely different story.

That's their loss, and I hate gentrification. TJ's pays REALLY good wages, promotes healthy eating at reasonable prices.

Hold up did somebody post proof that these particular leaders were corrupt? :nerd:

Also where in the article does it say Trader Joe's was going to invest 2.4 million in the community?

http://news.investors.com/ibd-edito...anizers-who-conserve-portland-food-desert.htm

Hectoring the private chain with racially tinged language, wealthy poverty-racketeers from a foundation-funded group called the Portland African American Leadership Forum claimed that a $2.4 million store on a vacant lot in a run-down part of northeast Portland would gentrify the area, driving up retail prices and driving out the local black community.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/tom-bl...e-backward-looking-group-which-prevented-deve

As Trader Joe's announced its decision, the community organizers were left to hold a press conference on an empty lot (see Google maps for proof) to explain to angry residents that they had nothing against the grocery. They just wanted to bring back jobs as well as blacks to the neighborhood.

As if keeping it a wasteland devoid of investment was the way to draw them back.

"This is not what the neighborhood people want," resident Kymberly Jeka told the Oregonian. Added another disgusted resident, Tran Nghi: "They (the community organizers) don't (even) live here anymore. They don't come to neighborhood cleanups."

Now, thanks to the self-appointed environmental stewards, the vacant lot will remain vacant, housing occupancy will remain depressingly low and the nearest grocery store will still be 12 blocks away.
So from these quotes and what I read in the article the PAALF said the empty lot was going to have a 2.4 mil store made which they were against. From the article it clearly says the lot was appraised at 2.9 mil and they were going to sell the spot for just over 500k. I haven't read anything you just posted that says Trader Joe's was bringing in 2.4 mil of money, more like they were saving that much after you subtract the 500k they paid to set up shop. They called it a 2.4 mil store because that's what TJ's would be saving on the 2.9 mil lot.

I'm still not seeing anything about corruption though. I'd need to see where these guys profit from not having the store set up there since they're using the argument of preventing gentrification. Them not living there, not showing up to neighborhood clean ups, and speaking for the residents may be ****** up but apparently as self-appointed official (that's a whole other matter :lol:) none of the residents have challenged them.

I dunno unless you're going for the angle that they're power tripping and being vindictive by preventing a store close to the neighborhood since the other one is 12 blocks away.

^ Bottom line... it's just absurd to think that ONE Trader Joes is going to gentrify the area. It's like opening up a Trader Joes on Rosecrans/Central in Compton and because of this... everyone from Beverly Hills, will all want to move to Compton BECAUSE of that Trader Joes. :lol: Ridiculous.

Last edited:
thread is all over the place :lol: I love it here.

Is Trader Joe's like that though? We don't have one out here.

Dat Wegmans doe.

^ Bottom line... it's just absurd to think that ONE Trader Joes is going to gentrify the area. It's like opening up a Trader Joes on Rosecrans/Central in Compton and because of this... everyone from Beverly Hills, will all want to move to Compton BECAUSE of that Trader Joes.
laugh.gif
Ridiculous.

^ Bottom line... it's just absurd to think that ONE Trader Joes is going to gentrify the area. It's like opening up a Trader Joes on Rosecrans/Central in Compton and because of this... everyone from Beverly Hills, will all want to move to Compton BECAUSE of that Trader Joes.
laugh.gif
Ridiculous
Did you read anything in this thread? The area has already been gentrified as many other people have stated, which is why the PAALF were asking for affordable housing to be added to the development, essentially to balance out what has already been going on

Last edited:
^ Bottom line... it's just absurd to think that ONE Trader Joes is going to gentrify the area. It's like opening up a Trader Joes on Rosecrans/Central in Compton and because of this... everyone from Beverly Hills, will all want to move to Compton BECAUSE of that Trader Joes. :lol: Ridiculous.
Going off of what other Portland NTers have stated the area is already being gentrified. So the rejection of this store is suppose to be slowing it down from reaching that specific area I think.

Going off of what other Portland NTers have stated the area is already being gentrified. So the rejection of this store is suppose to be slowing it down from reaching that specific area I think.

and this is what I've been saying.

scapegoat corporate America but their borders been shrinking.

they're going to get priced out of the area either way, it's the nature of the economy & housing market.

even the middle-class is being priced out, shrinking.

it's the nature of the times.

Last edited:
You really think people are going to church and praying to lose weight?

yes ive seen ppl pray for health...and healing...be consoled by others with the if no one loves you jesus loves you and you should be happy and comfortable in your skin... when in reality it should be look your fat unhealthy grossly overweight and need to hit the gym asap.... Yes ive heard for ppl pray for a money windfall or financial situation... improve... what I haven't seen is a financial advisor look at the weekly income and market and plan a budget to which their living can improve. Yes ive seen ppl pray they kids get into a good college.... instead of schrimping and saving up throughout the yrs and putting away money so they can pray for their college. Ppl praying for health improvements... paying tithes and skimping out on healthcare or simply not paying for it at all... or lived a detriment life aka drinking bad eating habits. What I haven't seen is church provide health care plans... open up gyms have free dietitians, psychologist for many of the mental illnesses that plague the black community... All the things that are plaguing the black community... So to answer your question have I seen/heard ppl pray for better days...yes. Have I seen them in large provide goods services to accomondate the things NO. Have I heard/seen them take money and tell them to pray on it yes...

I could see your argument if they did both... hell I could see your argument if they just offered holistic healing and the overall state of the black community showed improvement... But outside of disposable income the current state of African americans is worst overall then it has been since damn near jim crow days even beyond that...yet attendance has went up.

Hell even in prison when education was allowed and church wasn't pushed.... there was far less return rates.... Now that education is gone.... and pretty much the only thing you can read and get educated on or attend is church... recidivism is at what 89%... So education is less of a priority there and church is waaaaaaaaaaaay more of a priority yet condition and crimes...returned rates are at an all time high...Cats were far less likely to return 30-40 yrs ago moved on and lived productive lives... took away educations and trades... and pushed church... damn near 9 outta 10 return to jail repeatedly only to to committed a more heinous crime... never to live a productive lifestyle. So don't really see the strides there either.... or is holistic healing chained and bound and cant penetrate the ways of the prison walls.

For something to be working with more ppl attending yet conditions are worse...worse that they have ever been... doesn't show improvement. Thus is a detriment. I don't understand please help me how the more of something things get worse is a good thing. I mean like I said the numbers and facts are facts... I mean if you BELIEVE that the community at large is better because of that then it is just that you BELIEVE end of the day fact the history highs in dropouts, babies out of wedlock, prison rates and overall health with obesity leading the way  say an entirely different story.

Man so much to say to this...

I just going to leave at this. Between the bolded, the "ppl's" sprinkled throughout and the worst possible examples you've "seen" and "heard", you so incredibly immature it doesn't make any type sense and I'd rather not even continue.

Not unintelligent, just immature. You was doing good with the numbers...

If the neighborhood is in bad shape, it needs some sort of CHANGE

The community leaders seemed very proactive in repelling Trader Joe's, I hope they are just as active in developing and implementing changes that they believe will benefit of the community. That said, leaders have their own agendas and sometimes these affect their representation of the "people"

at days end if you want to stop gentrification don't sell.

at all....

making a compromise to set up "affordable housing" is still not going to stop gentrification :lol:.

you've got to dig in.

any kind of compromise then you're allowing to be bought out.

if homes are on foreclosure and are being bought up by gentrifiers the process is happening either way.

if the local job market is already being infiltrated by more privileged individuals, it's already happening.

if people are selling their property right now, before the area is properly "revitalized" they're already selling themselves short.

Again, to scapegoat TJ's alone is baloney. :lol: Sure striking a deal might "slow" the process but that's all you're doing. If there isn't already other initiatives to revitalize the area, the parks, the schools, the infrastructure, gentrification is inevitable.

That's where PAALF needs to step up. If people aren't taking an interest in their own area, working for their own community, and holding firm, any compromise is just a bandaid on a gaping wound.

Last edited:
and ppl who use the its more costly argument aren't even considering that a good majority of ppl in these areas spend more going out to eat aka dining out fast food then groceries anyways....not to mention the average family of 4 groceries monthly cost is 247.50 a month wll the average black family spends over 300 a month on dining out and fast food.....so they can afford even top notch food its just the oh I rather buy cheap stuff aka top ramen...off brand crapola etc.... and eat mckie dees/popeyes/pizza hut etc... 4 or 5 meals a week (btw which is more expensive) then take that money and spend it on actual top quality food etc.

It has nothing to do with cost because they are spending more eating applebees etc... on a weekly basis then the cost of groceries anyhow. Its the oh im to busy 9-10 times doing absolutely nothing to stop buy this stuff and cook it and so I rather stop at kfc and buy a 12 piece family and a bunch of microcrap ready to eat and heat convenient food then actually take the time and COOK...

its laziness and sorriness point blank period. No way can you say oh well certain groups ppl etc.... cant afford top quality groceries when they spend damn near twice as much at red lobster, chillis, papa john etc... 20 bucks is 20 bucks.... so on and so forth. You cant tell me spending close to 50 bucks at ocharleys will last a family of four more then spending 50 bucks at a grocery store no matter if its traders joes or whole foods or hell safeway or krogers.... ITS STILL 50 BUCKS...anyway you slice it. One just is lazy ad requires no effort and is right there and the other requires you to put down the tablet/phone etc.... get off twitter/facebook/instagram...step away from the boob tube and actually COOK.

It isn't the store etc... its the ppl and the values or lack there of them. These same ppl banning not wanted a traders joes/whole food... would be up in arms if a mckie dees, popeyes, checkers etc...was to be taken away from their neighborhood.  No one wants to say it but it is what it is period.

stopped reading right there ... i live alone ... don't spend money on juice or soda ..and i pay $200 a month in groceries ... you telling me a family of 4 can pay live off of $62 a month each ... clown statement ...

stopped reading right there ... i live alone ... don't spend money on juice or soda ..and i pay $200 a month in groceries ... you telling me a family of 4 can pay live off of $62 a month each ... clown statement ...

you must not watch extreme couponing.

and ppl who use the its more costly argument aren't even considering that a good majority of ppl in these areas spend more going out to eat aka dining out fast food then groceries anyways....not to mention the average family of 4 groceries monthly cost is 247.50 a month wll the average black family spends over 300 a month on dining out and fast food.....so they can afford even top notch food its just the oh I rather buy cheap stuff aka top ramen...off brand crapola etc.... and eat mckie dees/popeyes/pizza hut etc... 4 or 5 meals a week (btw which is more expensive) then take that money and spend it on actual top quality food etc.

It has nothing to do with cost because they are spending more eating applebees etc... on a weekly basis then the cost of groceries anyhow. Its the oh im to busy 9-10 times doing absolutely nothing to stop buy this stuff and cook it and so I rather stop at kfc and buy a 12 piece family and a bunch of microcrap ready to eat and heat convenient food then actually take the time and COOK...

its laziness and sorriness point blank period. No way can you say oh well certain groups ppl etc.... cant afford top quality groceries when they spend damn near twice as much at red lobster, chillis, papa john etc... 20 bucks is 20 bucks.... so on and so forth. You cant tell me spending close to 50 bucks at ocharleys will last a family of four more then spending 50 bucks at a grocery store no matter if its traders joes or whole foods or hell safeway or krogers.... ITS STILL 50 BUCKS...anyway you slice it. One just is lazy ad requires no effort and is right there and the other requires you to put down the tablet/phone etc.... get off twitter/facebook/instagram...step away from the boob tube and actually COOK.

It isn't the store etc... its the ppl and the values or lack there of them. These same ppl banning not wanted a traders joes/whole food... would be up in arms if a mckie dees, popeyes, checkers etc...was to be taken away from their neighborhood.  No one wants to say it but it is what it is period.

but of course this guy chose to not even read the data properly or even see if what he was saying made any sense ...

it's $248.70 for a family of 4 with kids under the age of 5 a week

so with that being said ... many people eat out ... many people do things they cannot afford ... but your whole argument is null and void because you got the math wrong because you just glanced at some data to confirm the thoughts that you expressed throughout your rant ...

i go to whole foods and i find them pricey... it's $50 a week ... so i agree that most people should be able to do that ... what they do with their money is their choice ... let's focus on the real issues ... why do these leaders feel it was necessary to reject the deal? Would this deal have helped the neighborhood? What can be done to help the neighborhood? Could people have stayed in the neighborhood with the TJs?

Back
Top Bottom