Black neighborhood rejects Trader Joe's

“There are no winners today,” Adam Milne, owner of Old Town Brewing Co., told The Oregonian. “Only missed tax revenue, lost jobs, less foot traffic, an empty lot and a boulevard still struggling to support its local small businesses.”

If missed tax revenue and jobs are the primary reasons for building a TJ's there, then it's not just about building a TJ's. Sounds to me like several businesses planning to move in, or at least that's what Adam Milne infers, (Who is most likely a millionaire) and sure wouldn't mind a steep raise in property tax, and rent prices for an area I doubt he lives in.

Jump to conclusions much?

I'm amazed at how hard you guys are going at it over this. Its a ******* grocery store.

Trader Joes wan't going to change THAT much in the damn community.

This whole thread is operating on the premise that the neighborhood "rejected" them when Trader Joe's is the one who pulled out amid the "controversy"

Essay after essay and this is the correct answer. lol

I have a question, do you think Trader Joes wanted to enter the community to improve the community or to set up shop on low price land? The problem is the black community wants business that would improve the community not just leach from it. The store was supposed to build a small plaza of stores that probably would help facilitate gentrification. This is obvious because of what we have seen in the past.

I'm amazed at how hard you guys are going at it over this. Its a ******* grocery store.

Trader Joes wan't going to change THAT much in the damn community.

There has many posts describing what this grocery store could (would) do to the community if it was built, which leads me to believe you either did not read anything in this thread, trolling vey badly, or just refuse to let yourself understand.

Remarkable thread for all of its insight and ignorance. 

I'm astonished by the rhetorical warfare waged against the residents of this community. Here we have NTers who have never stepped foot in northeast Portland, yet have dogmatically lumped its residents as inferior, obese lovers of McDonalds, EBT-card wielding, and feti****ers of empty lots. How could I forget shoelyesses broad sweeping claim that the city's residents are prone to spend their time and money in the city's "churches,dollar stores, shoe stores, liquor stores, check cashing, weave/beauty supply stores and walmarts." 

This, NT, is the process of rhetorical destruction designed to gloss over the negative impact of gentrification. Here we have the dehumanization of a people; of no worth because they are all fat, moochers, who would gladly drink their 40oz in a barren lot. Who cares about the displacement of "do nothing for the community" but destroy "property values"? 

These fine members of NT put a modern twist on every rhetorical strategy that was the handmaiden of conquest. We must cultivate the land because those uncivilized Native Americans are wasting God's gift to man. Whip them. Whip them hard. Those black bodies are not human flesh. They are simply property to be appropriated as we please. Import them. Pay meager wages to those "*******s." After all, their anatomy is made for laboring in in the grape fields. 

It seems like you, str8drop (a few others here and there), and I are the only ones that have a brain in this thread, so much ignorance despite being educated on the subject

And the dude that used the Rosecrans and Central example: YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT COMPTON. South Central. Do you know how stupid it is to compare Compton to N and NE Portland? Compton will FOREVER be the ghetto. No yuppie / hipster will EVER want to live there, I don't care if there was a bikram yoga place, Starbucks, or kombucha brewery on EVERY block. It's NOT happening. EVER

N and NE Portland have never been as rough as Compton is and has been. Sure I've had to duck from some gunshots here and there but to compare N and NE Portland to Compton?

Come on bruh, I know you're smarter than that

I have a question, do you think Trader Joes wanted to enter the community to improve the community or to set up shop on low price land? The problem is the black community wants business that would improve the community not just leach from it. The store was supposed to build a small plaza of stores that probably would help facilitate gentrification. This is obvious because of what we have seen in the past.

Straw man.

This whole thread is operating on the premise that the neighborhood "rejected" them when Trader Joe's is the one who pulled out amid the "controversy"
Did you even read what you wrote?  Trader Joe's is the one who pulled out amid the "controversy" which was the neighborhood "rejecting" them (I'm not sure why either of those words are in quotes but I'll go with it).  By all accounts, had there not been such strong opposition from the black leadership group PAALF, Trader Joe's would've proceeded with the development and building the store.

Ok shoelyesses is making some solid points but the question is how bad can a little gentrification be. The neighborhood is poor and falling apart besides a few small bussiness. Trader Joes treats employees right from what I hear and give neighbor options. Which could bring in more jobs and make a good cycle.

If there are no jobs then any legal jobs are better then none.

Which leads back to my question. How do you improve the area without prices going up due to the improvement?

Ok shoelyesses is making some solid points but the question is how bad can a little gentrification be. The neighborhood is poor and falling apart besides a few small bussiness. Trader Joes treats employees right from what I hear and give neighbor options. Which could bring in more jobs and make a good cycle.

they gonna compete with the current businesses brah thats bad for business.

Essay after essay and this is the correct answer. lol
How many for-profit businesses are truly going to expand somewhere with the intent of improving that community?  Their goal is to make money.  They see an area with an apparent opportunity and they build when there's potential profit.  Low priced land or not, any corporation will do a feasibility study to determine whether the site makes sense to invest in.

Would other grocery stores seek to build on that land thinking, "Let's build here so we can help people out and if we make a little money, then that'd be nice but if not, oh well"?

How many small businesses have the ability to develop that type of parcel?  Or more importantly, even if that wasn't an issue, how many would build there with the intent of improving the community?  

The only development of that property that realistically would have the interests of the community in mind would be not-fot-profit and would be tax exempt.

How many for-profit businesses are truly going to expand somewhere with the intent of improving that community?  Their goal is to make money.  They see an area with an apparent opportunity and they build when there's potential profit.  Low priced land or not, any corporation will do a feasibility study to determine whether the site makes sense to invest in.

Would other grocery stores seek to build on that land thinking, "Let's build here so we can help people out and if we make a little money, then that'd be nice but if not, oh well"?

How many small businesses have the ability to develop that type of parcel?  Or more importantly, even if that wasn't an issue, how many would build there with the intent of improving the community?  

The only development of that property that realistically would have the interests of the community in mind would be not-fot-profit and would be tax exempt.

Investing in small businesses that already support the company, shops who owners actually live in the community that would be spending their profits within the community.

How do you figure the neighborhood is "poor and falling apart?" Do you even Multnomah County?

N and NE Portland are already predominantly white. Like I said before, what used to be a completely black neighborhood is now completely white with a few blacks that could afford to stay sprinkled here and there. I'd like to help you understand but everything has already been said

Investing in small businesses that already support the company, shops who owners actually live in the community that would be spending their profits within the community.
Okay, so you're relying on the idea that people within this community will want to start a business there?  Is this supposed to only be within the group that PAALF is looking to protect?  

Not to put this quote on you but I find it interesting that you have other quotes ITT like this:

“There are no winners today,” Adam Milne, owner of Old Town Brewing Co., told The Oregonian. “Only missed tax revenue, lost jobs, less foot traffic, an empty lot and a boulevard still struggling to support its local small businesses.”

If missed tax revenue and jobs are the primary reasons for building a TJ's there, then it's not just about building a TJ's. Sounds to me like several businesses planning to move in, or at least that's what Adam Milne infers, (Who is most likely a millionaire) and sure wouldn't mind a steep raise in property tax, and rent prices for an area I doubt he lives in.
So this is a local business owner but it's assumed he's a millionaire who doesn't have the best interest of the community in mind because it's "doubtful he lives there" even though he mentions the benefit of tax revenue, jobs, etc (unless we're assuming that's insincere or merely residual).

Do you restrict development to only local business owners who live in the community?  I guess they have to look for people willing to invest who have the interests of the community in mind but don't have so much money that they've already moved out of the area.  

Last edited:

Did you even read what you wrote?  Trader Joe's is the one who pulled out amid the "controversy" which was the neighborhood "rejecting" them (I'm not sure why either of those words are in quotes but I'll go with it).  By all accounts, had there not been such strong opposition from the black leadership group PAALF, Trader Joe's would've proceeded with the development and building the store.

It makes it seem like the black community is against development and weren't willing to compromise.

If I ask to borrow your car to drive a hour away and you reply "Yeah that's cool just replace whatever gas you drive out" and I say aight well **** you then, is that not different than you flat out saying no? If I then proceeded to tell people how much of a ***** you are for not even letting me borrow your car do you think that would be describing the situation accurately?

Not saying this is what the city and developer should have done but by all accounts if they would've agreed to the affordable housing and CBA they would currently be getting prepared to start the development.

Last edited:

It makes it seem like the black community is against development and weren't willing to compromise.

If I ask to borrow your car to drive a hour away and you reply "Yeah that's cool just replace whatever gas you drive out" and I say aight well **** you then, is that not different than you flat out saying no? If I then proceeded to tell people how much of a ***** you are for not even letting me borrow your car do you think that would be describing the situation accurately?
I can't even.

How do you figure the neighborhood is "poor and falling apart?" Do you even Multnomah County?

N and NE Portland are already predominantly white. Like I said before, what used to be a completely black neighborhood is now completely white with a few blacks that could afford to stay sprinkled here and there. I'd like to help you understand but everything has already been said
my bad. I read through the past 2 pages and it seemed like it was some really poor area that is following some church leaders suggestions.

If I google it, will I be able to find Mr. Milne's net worth?  Will one of the results be the the address of his home?  How about how how he feels about an increase in taxes or rents in the community or generally what his motives are?  

When you assume "he can foot the bill" are you talking about increased taxes?  If so, I guess now because someone has money they just accept or even welcome increased costs because what does it matter to them.  I won't even get into that mentality.

The local business owners whose interests are being protected must be different from Mr Milne because he's most likely rich, that must be it.  Let's just say they're not struggling either, do they live elsewhere?

It could very well be true but do you have data on the fact that a Trader Joe's store employs 20-40 people?  In addition, I thought part of the problem was the proposed several additional storefronts built along side TJs...I think that may create more jobs.  If those are operated by local businesspeople (maybe they live in the neighborhood), would they reinvest the money into the community?

I'm just curious how you distinguish what businesses and owners are okay.  I'm not sure how a city only allows people whose primary residence lies within the boundaries of the area they want to maintain a business to operate and that they can set a maximum net worth for those business owners PLUS mandate that they reinvest X amount in the community.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom