Body Of Sheila Abdus-Salaam, Black Judge Was Just Found Floating In A River

[h1]Body Of America’s First Female Muslim Judge Was Just Found Floating In A River[/h1]
BY COLIN TAYLOR  

PUBLISHED ON APRIL 12, 2017

shelia.jpg

In a tragic day for our nation, the body of the associate judge of the New York Court of Appeals, Sheila Abdus-Salaam, was just found floating in the Hudson river a few hours after being reported missing. She was our nation’s first ever female Muslim judge and the first African-American to sit on the New York Court of Appeals.

Unknown sources told the New York Post that there were no visible signs of trauma or foul play, but the police are investigating her death and we should know the full story in a few days.

Abus-Salaam graduated from Barnard College in 1974 and from Columbia Law School in 1977. She served as the Assistant Attorney General in the Civil Rights for several years before ascending to the New York State Supreme Court. Governor Cuomo nominated her for the New York Court of Appeals in 2013 – for which she was unanimously approved.

One of her biggest decisions was to rewrite the rules on how the state of New York defined parenthood, allowing same-sex couples to seek court help in custody disputes and discarding the outdated and homophobic conventions which only saw “parents” as a strict male/female binary dichotomy.

She was 65 years old.

The words of Chief Judge Jonathan Lippman paint a beautiful picture of an inspiring figure whose guidance we will dearly miss.

“I’m deeply saddened at having lost a dear friend and colleague, and the court has suffered a terrible blow. She was a superb jurist and an even more superb human being.I knew her for many, many years. To some degree, we grew up together in the court. I’ve known her in all her different roles in the court. It’s just so shocking. She was a very gentile, lovely lady and judge. If you ask anyone about her, people would say only the most wonderful things.

That’s why it makes it even more difficult to understand.”

While there may be no signs of foul play as of yet, the rampant Islamophobic and racist sentiments cultivated and unleashed by the Trump administration – and the alarming spike in hate crimes in the United States since his election – means that until an autopsy is performed, we must remain suspicious.

Shelia Abdus-Salaam will be forever remembered for being the first female Muslim judge in the United States. It’s now up to us to ensure she won’t be the last.

http://occupydemocrats.com/2017/04/...emale-muslim-judge-just-found-floating-river/
r.i.p.

thoughts? 
nerd.gif

Last edited:
i mean...well...wow...speechless.

curious to see how this unfolds....RIP |I

this sounds like it was to send a message.

Will be interested on the details like what big court cases she has done and who wanted her dead.

RIP this is sad man :smh:

Very sad. No evidence of foul play, huh? We'll see about that.

There's definitely foul play involved. I'm not ruling anything out with this administration.

Just logged on to post this. Saddening news. I don't believe those "unknown sources" who claimed there was no sign of foul play for one minute. Something foul took place and I can only pray that we get the truth about the incident. :smh:

RIP Sheila Abdus-Salaam.

[h1]Sheila Abdus-Salaam, a trailblazing judge, found dead in Hudson River[/h1]
By Rob Frehse and Madison Park, CNN
Updated 8:46 AM ET, Thu April 13, 2017

(CNN) The first African-American woman to serve on New York state's highest court -- a judge described as a trailblazer and "humble pioneer" -- was found dead in the Hudson River.

Judge Sheila Abdus-Salaam was 65.

Police responded to a 911 call about a person floating in the Hudson around 1:45 p.m. Wednesday. They found an unconscious and unresponsive woman, who was later pronounced dead and identified as Abdus-Salaam.

The medical examiner will determine the cause of death, and the case is under investigation, according the New York Police Department.
Abdus-Salaam had been an associate justice on the New York Court of Appeals since 2013.

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, who appointed her to the court, hailed her as a "trailblazing jurist whose life in public service was in pursuit of a more fair and more just New York for all."

She had been reported missing by her husband Tuesday, reported CNN affiliate WCBS-TV in New York.

Abdus-Salaam's death came the same week a prominent Chicago judge was killed outside his home Monday. A suspect in that case has been charged with first-degree murder in the death of Judge Raymond Myles.
[h3]  [/h3][h3]'Humble pioneer'[/h3]
Tributes for Abdus-Salaam poured in from New York officials.
New York Mayor Bill de Blasio tweeted: "She was a humble pioneer. My thoughts are with her family."

Seymour W. James Jr., attorney in chief at the Legal Aid Society, said in a statement that the judge's passing had left many heartbroken.

"She leaves a lasting impact on New York -- from her time as a legal services attorney fighting on behalf of low-income families, to her tenure as the first African-American woman to preside on the state's highest court."

Nihad Awad, national executive director of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, tweeted that he was devastated by the news.
[h3]Longtime judge[/h3]
Born in Washington to working-class parents, Abdus-Salaam grew up with six siblings and attended the district's public schools.

She became interested in pursuing law after civil rights attorney Frankie Muse Freeman visited her high school.

Abdus-Salaam went to Barnard College for her bachelor's degree and later received her law degree from Columbia University.

She began her legal career at the East Brooklyn Legal Services and later became an assistant attorney general in the New York State Department of Law for its civil rights and real estate financing bureaus.

She began her judicial career in 1991 and was appointed in 2009 by then-Gov. David Paterson to the Appellate Division, First Department.

"During her time on the bench, Justice Abdus-Salaam earned the respect of all who appeared before her as a thoughtful, thorough, and fair jurist," New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman said in a statement.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/13/us/sheila-abdus-salaam-judge-hudson-river/
i noticed a lot (all) of news outlets weren't printing her name in the headline yesterday 
mean.gif

Article doesn't even expand on the "struggling with depression" piece. It just says that then moves on.

i dont believe that ****

thats that enemy of the state we gonna fabricate lies

i bet the "doctors" she saw are all dead too 
mean.gif

Harlem neighbor Pat Miller, 56, couldn’t accept the idea that Abdus-Salaam took her own life.

“I could not imagine her doing anything to herself to harm herself," he said. She’s not that type of person ... I’d like to know what happened. I would really like to know.”

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom