BOSTON COP CALLS GATES BANANA EATING JUNGLE MONKEY Vol. I'm Not Racist

eek.gif
sorry if repost

(CNN) -- A Boston police officer who sent a mass e-mail referring to Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. as a "banana-eatingjungle monkey" has apologized, saying he's not a racist.

Boston police officer Justin Barrett apologizes for the e-mail he sent about the Harvard professor.

Officer Justin Barrett told a Boston television station on Wednesday night that he was sorry for the e-mail.

"I regret that I used such words," Barrett told CNN affiliate WCVB-TV. "I have so many friends of every type of culture and race you canname. I am not a racist."

Barrett was placed on administrative leave after the e-mail surfaced, and he might lose his job as a result.

Barrett, 36, who is also an active member of the National Guard, sent off a fiery e-mail to some fellow Guard members -- as well as The Boston Globe -- inwhich he vented about a July 22 Globe column about Gates'controversial arrest.http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/07/30/gates.police.apology/index.html#cnnSTCVideo

Gates, a top African-American scholar, was arrested on July 16 and accused of disorderly conduct after police responded to a report of a possible burglaryat his Cambridge home. The charge later was dropped. The incident sparked a debate about racial profiling and police procedures.

Globe columnist Yvonne Abraham supported Gates' actions, asking readers, "Would you stand for this kind of treatment, in your own home, by a policeofficer who by now clearly has no right to be there?"

In Barrett's e-mail, which was posted on a Boston television station's Website, he declared that if he had "been the officer he verbally assaulted like a banana-eating jungle monkey, I would have sprayed him in the face with OC(oleoresin capsicum, or pepper spray) deserving of his belligerent non-compliance."

Barrett used the "jungle monkey" phrase four times, three times referring to Gates and once referring to Abraham's writing as "junglemonkey gibberish."

He also declared that he was "not a racist but I am prejudice [sic] towards people who are stupid and pretend to stand up and preach for something theysay is freedom but it is merely attention because you do not get enough of it in your little fear-dwelling circle of on-the-bandwagon followers."

Barrett's comments were taken out of context, said his attorney, Peter Marano.

"Officer Barrett did not call professor Gates a jungle monkey or malign him racially," Marano said. "He said his behavior was like that ofone. It was a characterization of the actions of that man."

According to a statement from Boston police, Commissioner Edward Davis took action immediately on learning of Barrett's remarks, stripping the officerof his gun and badge. http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/07/30/gates.police.apology/index.html#cnnSTCVideo

Barrett is "on administrative leave, pending the outcome of a termination hearing."

CNN has been unable to reach Barrett for comment.
Davis wants Barrett, a two-year member of the Boston police, fired, a source close to the investigationsaid. But he will continue to be paid while on leave, and no date has been set for his termination hearing

Calling someone a "Banana-eating jungle monkey" sure doesn't make you a racist.

Originally Posted by LifeLessons

Typical Niketalk "Racism doesn't exist, white people love black people"......haha
president-bush-scratch-head.jpg

Uh, isn't it quite the opposite? I'm sure there are more black members than white members on this board... At least the vocal ones.

Yea dudes a racist. You can't be dead serious and call somebody a "banana eating jungle monkey". It just doesn't work that way.

He better get fired. Nobody with that mindset needs to be "policing" the streets of any city. Think about how many blacks he's unfairly pulledover or harassed.

The after-I-got-caught "Im not a racist, I swear I have so many black friends" excuse is always the most disgusting part about these incidents. So cowardly & B' made....

I would respect these #!*@ more if they just stand by what they said so I know where they stand....

This is the best thing to happen to Obama's presidency.

Guess who else is racist....Henry Gates.

Remember man, Blacks are the "ultimate victims" they cant possibly be racists.

continue...

Gates racially profiled thinking because the cop was white that he was racial profiling against him. Audio tapes conclude the 911 caller never mentioned race.

That cop needs to get dropped ASAP

As for the Gates thing, I think he was running his mouth and the officer had about enough of it.

Take anyone and have them start cussin' out a cop and see how fast they end up cuffed.

Fede so a black man in Cambridge who is dealing with a cop still in his house after producing proof of id is foolish for suggesting that his treatment might bethe result of his race? how is that racist?!

Originally Posted by Fede DPT

This is the best thing to happen to Obama's presidency.

Guess who else is racist....Henry Gates.

Remember man, Blacks are the "ultimate victims" they cant possibly be racists.

continue...

Gates racially profiled thinking because the cop was white that he was racial profiling against him. Audio tapes conclude the 911 caller never mentioned race.

The 911 caller wasn't the cop though
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by EzFlash26

The after-I-got-caught "Im not a racist, I swear I have so many black friends" excuse is always the most disgusting part about these incidents. So cowardly & B' made....

Agreed. The officer is done. Might as well hand in his badge and gun.

Originally Posted by nnarum

Originally Posted by LifeLessons

Typical Niketalk "Racism doesn't exist, white people love black people"......haha
president-bush-scratch-head.jpg

Uh, isn't it quite the opposite? I'm sure there are more black members than white members on this board... At least the vocal ones.

Yeah right?
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by 718stylez

Fede so a black man in Cambridge who is dealing with a cop still in his house after producing proof of id is foolish for suggesting that his treatment might be the result of his race? how is that racist?!

eek.gif
You were there?

The 911 caller wasn't the cop though

What difference does that make? A cop goes to a house that is reportedly being burglarized and has ZERO clue what is going on or who lives at the residence.Damn, I would hope to God my neighbor calls the cops if they see someone breaking into my house and hopefully giving a full description of the person doing itso they can get caught.

Originally Posted by CelticsPride34

And this is why im ashamed to be white sometimes
I hate people who say this whether they be white, black or other.

To be ashamed of your race due to the actions of a few is ******ed.

Originally Posted by EzFlash26

I would respect these #!*@ more if they just stand by what they said so I know where they stand....
QFT. Then they apologize and do the same %@@@ again

Back
Top Bottom