BUILD YOUR OWN PC thread: w/ Video Tutorials (Vol. Post Your Setups)

Thanks, forgot to mention I'm using an Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz processor as well.

Originally Posted by MR MONDAY NIIGHT

what's good with that 1975 keyboard
roll.gif
roll.gif

with my tri sli setup, it didn't use anywear near 1000 watts...get a 550-600w psu

you should also go with g skill ram

I had built my pc over 8 years ago and I am still using it. I spent under $1,000. Pretty good investment...however it's time to move on...I have been outof the loop for a really long time so I'm lost. I want to build a pc and the only thing I need is for it to be able to run Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3flawlessly and at the highest settings. Not really into other pc games(got my 360 for that) These games shouldn't be resource heavy so I shouldn't bespending that much right?

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

Question: If I install my internal hard drive, which already has Windows XP....will the new mobo recognize that and just start up XP normally? Or will I have to install a new OS or even go as far as reformatt my HD? I have everything backed up so it wouldn't be an issue.
PS: Keep this thread going.

Nothing official yet but it seems to be shaping up like this:

5870:

1600 stream processors
~ 825mhz core clock giving a whopping 2.6tflops
80TMUs
256 bit memory bus but with a more efficient memory controller
2GB of GDDR5 clocked faster 4870's GDDR5
~$299 SRP

5850:

1600 stream processors
2+ teraflops of performance expect a core clock of 625-650mhz or thereabouts
~$199 SRP

Juniper should be a 800 stream processor part with full DX11 functionality and could potentially match up to the best of Nvidia's current offering despitebeing ATI's midrange card

11rbol0.jpg

244387c.jpg

Looks sick, I just spent $1300 (after taxes) on everything minus a PC Tower @ Microcenter in Long Island.

They have everything (or comparable items) for even cheaper than Newegg, especially the i7 processor (only $199)
eek.gif

I did end up buying a 15,000:1 contrast ratio; 22" Samsung LCD monitor.....impulse buy FTL but it looks nice with the laptop
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by daaznfella

here i am rocking on 1gb of ram, and you guys are doing x #'s.... lol

if anybody can set me up that would be great, my computer was built like 5 years ago for about 200$....just upgraded to 7 and i would like it to run faster, i'm no computer pro so i have no clue what to really do with it

i browse the net, stream and download movies/videos, sometimes i play emulated games via mame or zsnes..use some adobe programs from times to accomplish tasks, and listen to music a lot....thoughts? ideas?

amd athlon(tm) 64 processor 3500+ 2.2ghz
1gb of ram
32-bit os

yeaaaa lol, thanks for the help in advance to those who decide to guide me on the right path
The easiest way to run faster while barely even reaching your budget at all is buy 2-3 gigs of more ram seeing how replacing your motherboardwould cost tons more and is unnecessary. Try upgrading to 64bit OS also which would fully maximize your cpu's capabilities. Other than that, you can alwaysupgrade to a newer cpu and motherboard later on in the years.

Took my advice and went to microcenter for the i7? But that was the only thing I got from there. Everything else I wouldn't consider cheap. They did theB&M i7 bargain only to get ppl to go into their store to spend more money thats why it wasn't an online deal.

If you didn't get a mobo yet I can try to find the $200 p6t see if that deal is still up.

But like people said you probably will not need a 1000w psu unless you plan on oc-ing to 4ghz with sli

I got a PC P&C 750w silencer for under $100 a while back. Hope you aren't paying full price for everything. All my computer parts were basically belowretail.
Don't know much about ATI gpus since I only mess with nvidia.
Also don't know about Kingston in the ram area.

Edit: Heres the P6T
Asus P6T Intel X58 Socket 1366 Core i7 Motherboard

use code TTQVM1JF2PMT08 for 25% discount which brings it down to $195 + tax

Here is the one you wanted from newegg
ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution

use code TTQVM1JF2PMT08 for 25% discount which brings it down to $277 + tax

I'm sure it'll work with the other x58 mobos as well on dell.

^ Yup, thanks for the advice.

Everything else wasn't really "cheap", but the prices were pretty much neck and neck with New Egg, or slightly cheaper.

I'll post what I picked up later on.

If you already ordered it try to cancel now and get from dell. I think that $90 is worth it lol

I ended up getting:
[h1]ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard, sameprice at Microcenter and Newegg (289.99).
[/h1]That discount on the ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution issomething serious though. Besides that motherboard I bought:

Intel Core i7-920 processor 2.66ghz
motherboard (specified above)
mouse/keyboard
21.5" samsung lcd monitor
antec 850watt power supply
corsair 6gb ddr3 ram (1600mhz....8-8-8-24)
radeon hd 4870 xfx video card (512mb)

plus some extra cd-r's, cases, and a mouse pad......came out to close to 1200 before taxes. I just need a case but I'd rather find that locally so Ican start building already.

Originally Posted by Mrmeeh2

if anybody can set me up that would be great, my computer was built like 5 years ago for about 200$....just upgraded to 7 and i would like it to run faster, i'm no computer pro so i have no clue what to really do with it

i browse the net, stream and download movies/videos, sometimes i play emulated games via mame or zsnes..use some adobe programs from times to accomplish tasks, and listen to music a lot....thoughts? ideas?

1gb of ram
32-bit os

yeaaaa lol, thanks for the help in advance to those who decide to guide me on the right path
The easiest way to run faster while barely even reaching your budget at all is buy 2-3 gigs of more ram seeing how replacing your motherboard would cost tons more and is unnecessary. Try upgrading to 64bit OS also which would fully maximize your cpu's capabilities. Other than that, you can always upgrade to a newer cpu and motherboard later on in the years.
I had this laptop since June 07 and I wanted to do some upgrades, looked into more RAM. So that's pretty much it seeing how I'm on abudget too and I eventually will get a new one within sometime. I may get an external hd too.

1gb of ram
32-bit os

you've got to set yourself up with a budget first, determine what is your max to spend.. however, if your not willing to build your own, you may just bebetter off looking for pre-built systems such as dell, HP, acer, etc... since it may end up being cheaper for what YOUR looking for

I ended up getting:
[h1]ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard, same price at Microcenter and Newegg (289.99).
[/h1]That discount on the ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution is something serious though. Besides that motherboard I bought:

Intel Core i7-920 processor 2.66ghz
motherboard (specified above)
mouse/keyboard
21.5" samsung lcd monitor
antec 850watt power supply
corsair 6gb ddr3 ram (1600mhz....8-8-8-24)
radeon hd 4870 xfx video card (512mb)

plus some extra cd-r's, cases, and a mouse pad......came out to close to 1200 before taxes. I just need a case but I'd rather find that locally so I can start building already.

You didn't order the mobo from dell? I think the discount is totally worth it.
I built my i7 build little by little hunting for discounts and these stuff add up. Probably ended up saving a few hundreds.

I built everything today, power turns on, motherboard lights up, video card lights up etc...

for some reason no matter what I do (whether I adjust the jumper pins, press f8 or delete at startup, the motherboard cant loadup the BIOS.

I tried it once disconnecting the HDD and it went to the BIOS, so i clicked save/exit and it keeps going to a blank black screen.

Out of the dozens of times, it asked me that it needs a startup device so I put a random windows installation CD and it started to try to install, but I shutit
down because it obviously wont save without a HDD connected.

Asus just told me to exchange the motherboard, I hope I dont have to take the long trip to the store again (maybe someone can help)?

[h2]ATI Radeon Eyefinity unveiled: up to six monitors on a single card[/h2]
by Joseph L. Flatley posted Sep 10th 2009 at 7:03PM

At a press event today the gang at AMD unleashed their newest graphics technology on the world. To be incorporated in the next generation of ATI Radeons, Eyefinity can rock up to six displays (DisplayPort, DVI, HDMI, etc.) with a single card, thanks to a new 40-nm graphics chip that contains 2 billion transistors, capable of 2.5 trillion calculations every second. Monitors can be configured to make up either one contiguous display or six separate ones, and the card can create 268 megapixel images. That means, according to Venture Beat, that it will deliver games with "12 times the high-definition resolution." And the gang at Hot Hardware, who reports that the new graphic cards will come with either three or six display outs, put a prototype through its paces. We're pleased to report that playing Left 4 Dead on three 30-inch displays "absolutely changes the experience for the better." No word yet on a release date, but apparently Acer, Dell, HP, MSI and Toshiba already have Eyefinity notebooks in the works. We'll take two! More shots after the break.

Read - AMD introduces a graphics chip that can power six computer displays at once
Read - AMD Eyefinity Multi-Display Technology In Action

090910-ati-eyefinity-02.jpg

I built everything today, power turns on, motherboard lights up, video card lights up etc...

for some reason no matter what I do (whether I adjust the jumper pins, press f8 or delete at startup, the motherboard cant loadup the BIOS.

I tried it once disconnecting the HDD and it went to the BIOS, so i clicked save/exit and it keeps going to a blank black screen.

Out of the dozens of times, it asked me that it needs a startup device so I put a random windows installation CD and it started to try to install, but I shut it

Asus just told me to exchange the motherboard, I hope I dont have to take the long trip to the store again (maybe someone can help)?
did you ground yourself..

Out of the dozens of times, it asked me that it needs a startup device so I put a random windows installation CD and it started to try to install, but I shut it

good question.....

Originally Posted by SuprDuperFly

good question.....
you think he could of shocked the motherboard

Back
Top Bottom