Can I move out on my own with 1600-1800 a month income?

I looking for a 1br or studio for around 900 a month in Queens or Nassau County. I know its rare to find any at that price but they are out there. Cell phone bill is 96 dollars, car note is 350 dollars a  month. I wanna have around 2500-3000 dollars saved up before I actually move. Tax return money will help. Im a 23 year old single guy and would like to finally move out from under my parents. Is it possible/smart?

Only 2500-3000 saved up before you move out in NYC? Multiply that number by 10 just so that you have a cushion just in case anything happens. Your landlord may ask for first and last months rent which will eat into your savings before you move in. I'm 24 and living at home in NYC because I can't afford to move out. I'm just stacking at this point while paying my loans.

I wouldn't do it. They say your rent should not be more than ~30% of your gross income but my rule is ~25% of the net at the most. Over 50% of net (I presume) is ridiculous.

Last edited:
I tried it & it can work, but it may not be worth it...working to pay rent does not make the best lifestyle.

By the time you add up utilities, cable, food, and going out money you're done

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know how it is in New York OP... but also consider cost of living and other expenses.

Money for gas, money for food, money for maintenance (oil changes, A/C filter, light bulbs... ect), money for hygiene products (toothpaste, shampoo, toilet paper... ect)

All that will play a big role every month in expenses.

But do not let that scare you! By all means if you have the motive to move out and make it, go ahead a try! You can always move back home if you start struggling, but you never know unless you try! EVERYONE starts from the bottom and works their way to the top.

Goodluck OP!

Last edited:
1600 - 900 - 96 - 350 = 254

Will $254/mo cover gas, auto insurance, electric/gas/water bill, cable/internet, food, clothes, entertainment?
Plus you're in debt (at least with the car loan) with little to no savings

Smart? no
Possible? probably not

thanks for the advice everyone.

Ideally I would like to find something for 900-950 utilities/cable etc included. I know it will be a struggle. I can also pick up hours from my other job which could bring my monthly income to around 2200. I think im going to wait until I have atleast 4-5k saved up. Everyone  around me is telling I will be back with my parents in 2months. I want to prove them wrong.

Ideally I would like to find something for 900-950 utilities/cable etc included. I know it will be a struggle. I can also pick up hours from my other job which could bring my monthly income to around 2200. I think im going to wait until I have atleast 4-5k saved up. Everyone  around me is telling I will be back with my parents in 2months. I want to prove them wrong.
I can tell you hate living with your parents, but you need to smarten up. Don't put your pride before common sense. If you fail and have to move back in, your pride will be shattered. You're barely going to have time to enjoy your apartment if you're working two jobs to cover rent and utilities. Wait a year and then come back to this question. You'll have more than 5k saved up.

Also trying to do this with 1800 income. NYC is expensive and the best bet will be finding a roommate.

A Gift and a Curse... but that's the beauty of life!

Everyone wants to doubt you because they could not do it themselves, therefore they want to bring their failures and misery to others.

But then, sometimes an individual has to much pride to listen to others' advice based on experience and knowledge, leading themselves into a hole.

You'll be grinding hard but it could be doable with the right discipline...... It wouldn't be worth it mate though. Sorry.

If possible try to find a roommate, you would have to share the common area but at the end of the day you'll have your "own" place and it'll only run you 500-700/month.

I started out like you in 2010 making about what you make now and I've never been back home with the parents.

My income eventually increased and I entered a better living situation. But it's a start just remember to be honest with yourself, your spending habits will determine if you make it out there or not.

Best of luck fam!

Your living beyond your means already with a dang car payment and still living with your parents. Swallow your pride and just save up for a year.

I heard people say a rule of thumb is your rent should be one weeks pay. Unless you get a roommate, prolly better to stay where your at and save money.

I heard people say a rule of thumb is your rent should be one weeks pay. Unless you get a roommate, prolly better to stay where your at and save money.

If you make too little or too much one weeks pay doesn't make sense. So in essence, it doesn't make sense at all. These rule of thumbs don't consider many factors, build your living choice around your real live budget and spending habits.

try and find some roommates my dude..it would be a better (financial) choice to get a 2-3 bedroom that way your rent is cheaper than 900

especially in NYC, i live in BK so i know what its like

Brah you will need at least 6 months of living expense before making that jump

Also you should consider finding a nice room instead of an apartment

Also you can practice while you are living at home. Pretend to pay rent, utilities, and all your other bills(you will be putting them in a savings account instead of losing the money). Be very very strict about this, set deadlines too. Do this for like 3 months. Now this should give you an idea if you can pull this off

If you can't go it with the safety of living at home, don't try to do it without one in the real world.

Save your money, and swallow your pride. Stay at home for now because you're one financial upgrade (with a good amount of savings) from being able to move out.

Last edited:
Dont do it. You wont make it. Im 24 live in queens, pull in like 2200-2400 a week after taxes. pay 700 rent, 310 car note, 180 insurance (GA plates), and find it unbearable sometimes. God forbid your car screws up and needs major work you're ******. Yea youll have MTA, but that isnt cheap when you factor in your car note still.

I always factor in a worse case scenario with cars when people ask me questions of living alone.

Last edited:
Nope, you can't move out until you pay off that car.

1800 - 900 rent - 350 car pmt = $550

You most likely spend at least $100 a week between food and entertainment. (going out with friends/dates, groceries, lunches, etc)

That leaves $150 to cover cable, internet, car insurance, heat, and electric. It also doesn't include car maintenance like brakes, oil changes, inspection.

Hate to break it to you bro but finding a 1BR let alone a studio in NYC for under a grand isn't happening. I too encourage you to seek out a roomate(s).

If your parents don't mind you living with them, stay put. They may not let you move back in if you don't make it on your own.

It's cool to want nice things but you have to live within your means. Maybe sell the car and take public transportation to free up room for other expenses. Oh and get a prepaid phone.

Last edited:
I tried it & it can work, but it may not be worth it...working to pay rent does not make the best lifestyle.

By the time you add up utilities, cable, food, and going out money you're done
:lol: at the thought of OP being able to go out.

I lived in a 750sq foot studio in the Bronx (Allerton Ave. area) for 900 a month with everything included last year ..granted it was part of a house but you can find an apt in NYC for under a grand..I found many apts in the Bronx and Harlem area that were in the 875-975 range I was lookin for..some places were better than others but the people I lived with in the Bronx were very nice and had no problems at all..

Back
Top Bottom