Can I move out on my own with 1600-1800 a month income?

Double

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont do it. You wont make it. Im 24 live in queens, pull in like 2200-2400 a week after taxes. pay 700 rent, 310 car note, 180 insurance (GA plates), and find it unbearable sometimes. God forbid your car screws up and needs major work you're ******. Yea youll have MTA, but that isnt cheap when you factor in your car note still.

I always factor in a worse case scenario with cars when people ask me questions of living alone.

There's something seriously wrong with you then. I hope you meant a month.

I looking for a 1br or studio for around 900 a month in Queens or Nassau County. I know its rare to find any at that price but they are out there. Cell phone bill is 96 dollars, car note is 350 dollars a  month. I wanna have around 2500-3000 dollars saved up before I actually move. Tax return money will help. Im a 23 year old single guy and would like to finally move out from under my parents. Is it possible/smart?

you wanna be paycheck to paycheck?

are you serious?

900 rent 96 cell, 350 car note

that doesnt even include other expenses, gas, food, do you want tv? do you want internet? haircut? list goes on

1600-1800 monthly

HELL NO

Don't do it. You won't want to be living paycheck to paycheck. Save up more money. 

Dont do it. You wont make it. Im 24 live in queens, pull in like 2200-2400 a week after taxes. pay 700 rent, 310 car note, 180 insurance (GA plates), and find it unbearable sometimes. God forbid your car screws up and needs major work you're ******. Yea youll have MTA, but that isnt cheap when you factor in your car note still.

I always factor in a worse case scenario with cars when people ask me questions of living alone.

Strong income to SN ratio.

Last edited:
If you make too little or too much one weeks pay doesn't make sense. So in essence, it doesn't make sense at all. These rule of thumbs don't consider many factors, build your living choice around your real live budget and spending habits.

True indeed......:pimp:

i wouldn't do it. as others have said, no more than 25-33% of your gross monthly income should be used on rent. you can't afford to rent anything decent, and even if you could "get by" and make it month to month, you wouldn't have anything to show for it 5 years from now.

Don't make life harder than it needs to be. It's how people fall into these traps.

If you still have a solid relationship with your parents, and a comfortable living situation, then you should stay put IMO.

Also means you can still spend Porsche money on foams instead of rent

I looking for a 1br or studio for around 900 a month in Queens or Nassau County. I know its rare to find any at that price but they are out there. Cell phone bill is 96 dollars, car note is 350 dollars a  month. I wanna have around 2500-3000 dollars saved up before I actually move. Tax return money will help. Im a 23 year old single guy and would like to finally move out from under my parents. Is it possible/smart?
laugh.gif

I didn't mean to laugh...kinda, no I didn't mean laugh...well, anyway you sir are setting yourself up for failure. You're gonna need more than $3000, more than $10,000. Money goes fast in the city when you're living on your own. In college I used to cash my little $800 a week check, and within 20 mins $300 was spent on weekly expenses, (Metro Card, groceries, household items etc...). 

When you move, you'll need at least three times your rent and expenses saved, plus you first month's rent.

I'm not saying you can't live on $1800, because I have done it. I'm just saying you wont be doing much living.

Last edited:
look into da heightz, in manhattan papi. rooms is cheap out there papi. lot of rats and filth but its a bargain papi. da heightz >*

YES. Just make sure you budget. You def won't buy buying things like you are now that.s for sure until you get your income flow stronger.

You all don't know if he actually wants to 'go out', though. He may just want his own spot and be content with that. Not everyone wants to hang out every weekend and such.

Ya a roommate would be a must in this situation. That car note is prty high too.. U might wanna downgrade..

Don't make life harder than it needs to be. It's how people fall into these traps.
If you still have a solid relationship with your parents, and a comfortable living situation, then you should stay put IMO.
Also means you can still spend Porsche money on foams instead of rent

shots have been fired

Another poster in NYC here and I'd tell you not to do it unless you're OK with living paycheck to paycheck. Also, what happens if you lose your job?  Will it be fairly quick for you to find another?

I'd say that the minimum salary for a single person to live on his own in the outer boroughs would be about ~45k/year ( about $2700 after taxes/month) and at least 75k/year (~4500 after taxes) in the city.  

I have friends who have done both. Those who were prudent and lived with their parents while saving ( now they're 27/28 with 150k-300k saved; a huge cushion for the future) and those who chose to live on their own and piss their money away. 

Last edited:
its possible but it'll be pretty difficult and you need to make sure your job is secure.

Couple of things that could help is lowering the bills you have now. Look into a prepaid like straight talk, $45 a month unlimited everything. I pay 43 a month using auto pay, and there's deals out there for 38 bucks for the refills. And maybe refinance for a lower rate and monthly payment if possible. Get in the groove of bringing your own lunch. That buying your lunch everyday life is an expensive *** trap.

Last edited:
look into da heightz, in manhattan papi. rooms is cheap out there papi. lot of rats and filth but its a bargain papi. da heightz >*
ZZZZZZZZZZZ

You brought absolutely nothing to the discussion. And for your information, Washington Heights is becoming gentrified. OP would not be able to afford a one bedroom apartment in that neighborhood at the current prices. My friend has a decent paying job and still needed a roommate to make it month to month in a 1 br.

Back
Top Bottom