Career Advice For Someone Without College Degree?

Sup NT, I'm 23 years old and have been going to college working on an education degree for a couple years now. I have switched my major 3 times since I was 17 and really just have no direction in terms of what I wanna do for the rest of my life.
I thought teaching was for me since I'm really good with kids, but honestly when I try to imagine myself being a teacher a few years down the line, I just can't see myself doing that. On top of that I really can't afford it without help from financial aid. Right now I just feel like I'm going through the motions in college and I am starting to think I'd be better off dropping out and finding a steady job.  Like I said I'm 23 and don't want to be 30 years old still trying to figure out what I wanna do.

I just feel like my life is at a standstill right now and I am just looking for some progression and start working on a goal that is realistic and one that is worth striving for. I don't need to be making 100k a year, I'm just looking for something that will pay the bills and allow me to not kill myself just to make the rent. I don't want to be like my dad whose life is working 16 hour days 6 days a week for peanuts.

Any ideas?  Not interested in military.

Cliffs

- College Student going through the motions thinking about dropping out

- 23 years old looking for a steady job that I could make a career

-Looking for something that would just leave me comfortable, enough to pay bills without killing myself

- No military

Try an apprenticeship or get a 2 year degree at a CC.  There's a two main differences between skilled and unskilled labor, and those are skilled labor pays more and has a ton of job openings.  Plumber, Electrician, and IT are all pretty well paying skilled labor jobs.

First, finish school. Even if it is with a general or liberal arts degree. You can go far without a degree but it is easier with one.

Next, no one can point you in the right direction. Set goals and achieve them. If you don't know what goals to set, think more short term.

You're number one goal should be getting a college degree of some sort. Even an Associates in something like liberal arts would be better then nothing. Having a degree will definitely broaden your opportunities as far as jobs go, even today.

Word to dave chappelle you better learn how to rap or play basket ball or sing and dance cause thats it thats the only chance u got

Work for the railroad. Get in the transportation department as a conductor. You could make up to and over 100k with just your high school diploma.

damn i was about to say military
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by sheistbugz

You're number one goal should be getting a college degree of some sort. Even an Associates in something like liberal arts would be better then nothing. Having a degree will definitely broaden your opportunities as far as jobs go, even today.
Your major does not limit your job selection so just finish up any degree.

Could you enlighten me on what that associates could be used toward in the job market? (serious question)

Originally Posted by fac3 tak30v312

Could you enlighten me on what that associates could be used toward in the job market? (serious question)

you'd be more attractive than, say, high school graduates or GED applicants

then, with a specialized tech degree in whatever field he decides, he'll have extra skills to put on a resume.

Back
Top Bottom