Chicago Teachers go on strike, affecting 400,000 students

Lil Mouse bout to be in that studio full time now
mean.gif
eek.gif

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

It's a shame that teachers get messed by the government this bad when they are the key to our generation's progress.

the public school system is on it's way out. 2 of the high schools I've visited this term in Dallas both have total attendance numbers under 1,000.
One of them under 500.

Charter schools and academies are filling the gaps that greedy bureaucracies won't because they want to get paid for nothing.

Chicago Bled Dry by Striking Teachers’ Unions
By John Fund
September 10, 2012 9:16 A.M.
Comments

The smartest parents in Chicago right now are those whose kids attend charter schools, private schools, or parochial schools. Those institutions don’t employ Chicago’s unionized public-school teachers, who went out on strike this morning for the first time in 25 years.

The coverage of the strike has obscured some basic facts. The money has continued to pour into Chicago’s failing public schools in recent years. Chicago teachers have the highest average salary of any city at $76,000 a year before benefits. The average family in the city only earns $47,000 a year. Yet the teachers rejected a 16 percent salary increase over four years at a time when most families are not getting any raises or are looking for work.

The city is being bled dry by the exorbitant benefits packages negotiated by previous elected officials. Teachers pay only 3 percent of their health-care costs and out of every new dollar set aside for public education in Illinois in the last five years, a full 71 cents has gone to teacher retirement costs.

But beyond the dollars, the fact is that Chicago schools need a fundamental shakeup — which of course the union is resisting. It is calling for changes in the teacher-evaluation system it just negotiated by making student performance less important.

Small wonder. Just 15 percent of fourth graders are proficient in reading and only 56 percent of students who enter their freshman year of high school wind up graduating.

The showdown in Chicago will be a test of just how much clout the public-employee unions wield at a time when the budget pressures they’ve created threaten to break the budgets of America’s major cities.

And they only have to work 9 months a year for that type money. These teacher unions got it good. Not even mentioning the influence/power teachers have over children's thoughts and beliefs.

the public school system is on it's way out. 2 of the high schools I've visited this term in Dallas both have total attendance numbers under 1,000.
One of them under 500.

Charter schools and academies are filling the gaps that greedy bureaucracies won't because they want to get paid for nothing.
[if IE]><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="640" height="390" /><![endif]

Thats exactly what wealthy and non-minority areas want. Charter schools are often underfunded and understaffed. I've seen many of them struggle to provide even a decent education and many of them barely meet academic standards. Look at Louisiana. The damn governor down there wants to start teaching bible courses in lieu of science education. 

If it wasn't for federal education mandates many parts of the country would be EVEN WORSE. 

Keep thinking that "the community" knows best. Thats the same right-wing trope they've been pushing for decades to lessen the influence of having standards in communities. Removing those standards would make poor schools fall even farther while hoarding resources for more affluent and desirable areas. 

Thats exactly what wealthy and non-minority areas want. Charter schools are often underfunded and understaffed. I've seen many of them struggle to provide even a decent education and many of them barely meet academic standards. Look at Louisiana. The damn governor down there wants to start teaching bible courses in lieu of science education. 

If it wasn't for federal education mandates many parts of the country would be EVEN WORSE. 

Keep thinking that "the community" knows best. Thats the same right-wing trope they've been pushing for decades to lessen the influence of having standards in communities. Removing those standards would make poor schools fall even farther while hoarding resources for more affluent and desirable areas. 

EVERYTHING IS UNDERFUNDED IN THIS COUNTRY.

YOU GET A BETTER EDUCATION AT A CHARTER SCHOOL THAN YOU WOULD AD A PUBLIC INNER CITY SCHOOL....PERIOD

WHY ARE YOU SO APT ON CHAMPIONING CAUSES AND INSTITUTIONS THAT DON'T EVEN KNOW YOU EXIST OR EVEN CARE ABOUT YOU?

BE IT LGBT, ATHIESM, DRAKE AND OTHER SUB PAR ARTIST, THE MEDICAL ESTABLISHMENT, EUROPEAN IMPERIALISM, ETC.

ARE YOU SEEKING APPROVAL?

NT DOESN'T HAVE THE SAME UPVOTE SYSTEM AS REDDIT. EVERYBODY'S POST GET SEEN.

STOP BEING SUCH A POLITICIAN ALL THE TIME.

Most of those student aren't going to do a thing in life,
So I ain't mad...

about as blatant as it gets :stoneface: I know several Republicans who think the same about the Hispanic/Black kids in Arizona :smh:

My heart goes out to the kids though. Public schools all over the country need a complete rehaul.

Do you know how much it would take? All the government knows how to do is throw money at a problem thinking that will fix the problem. You can fund it all you want, the fact is that the money gets diverted to other places eg city officials.

YOU GET A BETTER EDUCATION AT A CHARTER SCHOOL THAN YOU WOULD AD A PUBLIC INNER CITY SCHOOL....PERIOD
The evidence says otherwise.

Are there success stories? Sure. I used to volunteer at one a few years back. But are they all like that? Hell no. In fact, if you go to any major city, many of them have problems that public schools haven't even heard of. 
WHY ARE YOU SO APT ON CHAMPIONING CAUSES AND INSTITUTIONS THAT DON'T EVEN KNOW YOU EXIST OR EVEN CARE ABOUT YOU?
...what? 

BE IT LGBT, ATHIESM, DRAKE AND OTHER SUB PAR ARTIST, THE MEDICAL ESTABLISHMENT, EUROPEAN IMPERIALISM, ETC.
Medical Establishment? European Imperialism? 

You mean understanding how science works and how the world economy got to where it is?

I dont care about what you think is "right" or "wrong" but if we're discussing facts, then lets have at it. 

ARE YOU SEEKING APPROVAL?
Are you addressing me?

NT DOESN'T HAVE THE SAME UPVOTE SYSTEM AS REDDIT. EVERYBODY'S POST GET SEEN.
So don't read them. 

STOP BEING SUCH A POLITICIAN ALL THE TIME.
Who hurt you? 

My best friend is a teacher on the outskirts of Chi. He teaches delinquent kids for **** money but still puts his heart into it everyday for the few kids he does touch. I admire him for that because I don't think I could do it. Anyway, I've been *****ing about this CTU strike and this was his reply to me. I found it interesting.

"The state created this monster that is the teachers union. By essentially giving them whatever they wanted because the job historically has been undervalued. There was, and still is a teacher shortage, so the state started to offer all these incentives to make the profession more attractive. Well as conditions continue to get worse with budget cuts and whole departments being closed down, teachers want protection. Because I believe you get tenure after 5 years. Schools now just cut teachers regardless of whether or not they're affective teachers. This has happened to at least two teachers I know who score extremely high on their evals. Also these teachers are dealing with classrooms with 30+ kids with no help. Do you really think any learning can happen in such an enviroment. And the majority of parents unfortunately could not care less. Now they have these teacher evals based on students performance. But even an exceptional teachers affect on a lost child is almost nil. So they base their job performance on kids grades and grad rates and you have parents not much different from the ones I deal with. I'm not saying the teachers are right. I just wish both sides of the story would be told in the news. But that isn't sensational enough to draw in viewers."

What is the cost of living in Chicago? Because those teachers get paid about $76,000 on average.

Bush and Obama can find money to bail out the banks and wall street, but no one can ever find money for teachers . . . teachers on strike / about to strike was always an issue when I was in school

Rahm Emmanuel...what you doin brah? renegging on promised 4% increases?
skyrocketing crime? you slippin pleh boi

Back
Top Bottom