Chicago Teachers go on strike, affecting 400,000 students

Bush and Obama can find money to bail out the banks and wall street, but no one can ever find money for teachers . . . teachers on strike / about to strike was always an issue when I was in school

Dude, do you know how much these teachers in Chicago get paid? These teachers are getting paid 70k a year before their benefits. On top of it, I was just reading from the Sun Times in Chicago they turned down a 16% pay increase.

I have a friend that is a school teacher, he taught in a public school for 3 years before he realized that he would get paid more doing private tutoring and home school.

Most of those student aren't going to do a thing in life,

So I ain't mad...

I thought about reporting this fool, but it's not even worth it. It's only a message board. It's sad people would think to say something like this. I truly feel sorry for people like him :smh:

YOU GET A BETTER EDUCATION AT A CHARTER SCHOOL THAN YOU WOULD AD A PUBLIC INNER CITY SCHOOL....PERIOD

This is false. Research shows that charter schools perform, on average, the same as public schools or worse. There are some exceptional charter schools; with top-notch facilities, outstanding faculty, and adequately funded. For everyone one of those charter schools, there are a bunch that are doing horribly.

It's not like I'm advocating for the public education system. Both systems are flawed.

man...I cant blame em' but at the same time its like damn the kids aren't in school...IDK...there is so much that could be done different. it's frustrating to see things like this happening.

BANG! BANG!
laugh.gif

Seems to me that some of these Unions just refuse to adapt to da times and situations at hand.
How so?
Bush and Obama can find money to bail out the banks and wall street, but no one can ever find money for teachers . . . teachers on strike / about to strike was always an issue when I was in school

Dude, do you know how much these teachers in Chicago get paid? These teachers are getting paid 70k a year before their benefits. On top of it, I was just reading from the Sun Times in Chicago they turned down a 16% pay increase.
The main issue at hand is teacher evaluations being based on standardized test scores. Currently, in Chicago, student test scores are worth 25% of the teacher evaluation. Rahm wants to increase that to 40% over the next couple year and that is absolutely ridiculous. They turned down the 16% pay raise because of this. 

Good for Chicago teachers tho, hopefully what they're doing echoes throughout the nation and helps the teachers in states where they can't strike.

Seems to me that some of these Unions just refuse to adapt to da times and situations at hand.

How so?

The main issue at hand is teacher evaluations being based on standardized test scores. Currently, in Chicago, student test scores are worth 25% of the teacher evaluation. Rahm wants to increase that to 40% over the next couple year and that is absolutely ridiculous. They turned down the 16% pay raise because of this. 

Good for Chicago teachers tho, hopefully what they're doing echoes throughout the nation and helps the teachers in states where they can't strike.

Bingo.

And the teachers refuse to let the principals hire their own teachers which Rahm wants to implement in order to hold the principals accountable for success.

Whenever people see a strike, they assume "the system" is getting down on the little guy, but IMO its flipped in this instance. The school district is trying to improve things and the unions want to keep the status quo

How so?

Bingo.

And the teachers refuse to let the principals hire their own teachers which Rahm wants to implement in order to hold the principals accountable for success.

Whenever people see a strike, they assume "the system" is getting down on the little guy, but IMO its flipped in this instance. The school district is trying to improve things and the unions want to keep the status quo
Yes, they do want to improve the system, but they don't want to pay the teachers for the work. Longer days and longer school years are fine, but compensate the teachers for the work.

Rahm wanted rapid change in a short amount time and that in itself was a recipe for destruction. He doesn't want to work together with the teachers to come up with a winning plan.

Regardless of how you feel, the public school system is being phased out.

We will see what takes its place along with a lot of other things once we see whats after the fiscal cliff of 2012

Here's the thing, why do they deserve a raise when the school system is failing?

Teaching (in the inner city) is the only job you can fail to achieve the goals set for you year after year, and STILL keep a job, then have the nerve to complain you deserve more :smh:

Here's the thing, why do they deserve a raise when the school system is failing?
Teaching (in the inner city) is the only job you can fail to achieve the goals set for you year after year, and STILL keep a job, then have the nerve to complain you deserve more
mean.gif
Don't agree!  Not just because I am a teacher.  Most teachers work hard everyday.  I work in an inner city school.  It is rough.  What do you mean by fail.  If it is test scores, than I really don't agree with you.  My school is around 50% special ed. with learning disabilities.  They walk in the door with that.  To me, they don't have a learning disability they have just fallen behind so much and don't get any guidance at home that know because they don't know how to multiply or divide by 6th grade they have a learning disability. 

The system is failing.  But, it is not all on the teachers.  There is a bigger picture and until that is addressed, I don't see any changes. 

Education Is messed up I understand.  I know that I have worked harder or just as hard as some of the teachers who taught me in a suburban school but my students' will perform a lot lower on state tests.  I have a niece who goes to the same school district thatI went to.  I see the worksheets that she brings home and the work that she is expected to do.  Lower level worksheets that are read this chapter and answer the review questions.  If I was to do that I would be fired.  I have kids in 6th, 7th, 8th grade who come in and can't read.  I have kids who can't speak english or very little english.  I have kids who can't spell.  I have kids who stay out all night.  I have kids who stay home to get their hair done or baby-sit.  I have smart kids, gifted kids.  I have kids who because there is no structure at home they are labeled ADHD and can't behave in a class room.  All in the same class.

I know I sound like I am complaining, but teaching is rough.

Sorry for the rant!

Back
Top Bottom