Chicago Teachers go on strike, affecting 400,000 students

Bingo.
And the teachers refuse to let the principals hire their own teachers which Rahm wants to implement in order to hold the principals accountable for success.
Whenever people see a strike, they assume "the system" is getting down on the little guy, but IMO its flipped in this instance. The school district is trying to improve things and the unions want to keep the status quo

Why would they want to change the system. These teachers care about the power they wield to keep the $$$ coming in and could care less about the children imo. And anyone saying these teachers are underpaid or they need to be paid more because they live in CHI... they are making almost $20k more than the average income in the city and only have to work 9 months a year. I don't give one damn for these teachers.

realtalk could you imagine going back to school and youre lil mouse?!?! i'd feel like the man in that bish
pimp.gif

How so?

Why are they any different from someone like myself who sees pay remain stagnant, and in some cases declining, due to the economic climate? Because they are unionized? Oh no they have to work more hours? They have to re-negotiate benefits packages? Welcome to the real world..
Here's the thing, why do they deserve a raise when the school system is failing?

Teaching (in the inner city) is the only job you can fail to achieve the goals set for you year after year, and STILL keep a job, then have the nerve to complain you deserve more
mean.gif
Pay teachers based on performance.
Bingo.
And the teachers refuse to let the principals hire their own teachers which Rahm wants to implement in order to hold the principals accountable for success.
Whenever people see a strike, they assume "the system" is getting down on the little guy, but IMO its flipped in this instance. The school district is trying to improve things and the unions want to keep the status quo
Why would they want to change the system. These teachers care about the power they wield to keep the $$$ coming in and could care less about the children imo. And anyone saying these teachers are underpaid or they need to be paid more because they live in CHI... they are making almost $20k more than the average income in the city and only have to work 9 months a year. I don't give one damn for these teachers.
You guys need to realize, the main issue isn't more money, the issue is pay being determined by standardized test scores. Like I previously said, Chicago currently bases a teacher evaluation 25% on standardized test scores, Rahm wants to bump that up to 40%. That is not fair.

There are many factors that go into poor test performance and the teachers have absolutely no control over them. A broken house, hunger, drugs, negligence, abuse, and whole lot of other factors will make testing harder for certain students. 

And then, there is the test itself which contains bias for certain demo's. There is a push to get rid of the public schooling system and to privatize schooling. That will be the worst thing that could possibly happen to the kids.

Last edited:
If their pay is predicated upon performance in the classroom than the issue is about money. Why isnt it fair to up or create higher standards? There are many factors that go into everyone's lives that their employers do not take into account when creating goals, targets, quotas, etc. Why are teachers different?

That's the thing, it's not based on classroom performance, it's based on standardized test scores. There is no issue with creating higher standards, teachers are fine with that. The problem is the weight that standardized test scores hold.

And your example of "There are many factors that go into everyone's lives that their employers do not take into account when creating goals...." is flawed. No other profession is like the teaching profession. Thus comparisons cannot be made. The personal issues of teachers are not what's effecting test scores, it's the personal issues that their students face at home that are effecting test scores. They are trying to penalize teachers for something that they have absolutely ZERO control over.

Last edited:
Who said they were martyrs? 

And also, they are more than just "working professionals", they are educators.

Feel free to spew out some more garbage so I can continue to clean it up.

No other profession is like the teaching profession, and I am the one spewing garbage?

Your statement is more or less what I am referring to in regards to my "martyrs" comment.

Last edited:
Name another profession like it.

You have no clue what your talking about. You just keep making reckless claims.

Last edited:
Name another profession like it.

You have no clue what your talking about, you just keep making reckless claims.

Medicine. Doctors teach doctors, and perform their assigned duties. But if one doctor was to say we deserve to get paid more, NOT EVEN SAY STRIKE, may the heavens bless that man's/woman's emotional, social, and professional soul. He would get destroyed by a majority of people in the US.

Idk, teachers seem to have the lowest expectations for completing a job. Students seem to struggle on the SAT, ACT, what have you, on a national level. Who's to blame? Do we continue to say "external circumstances", or do we blame the teacher and the school or does the school chose a few "golden students" that they cradle and go to war as far as test prep, and college admissions(which I've noticed a lot recently). For every good teacher, there seems to be a hallway full of bad on the same floor. Then to cover up the problems, let's strike so we don't have to be evaluated based on how our students would fair in the next level....

Last edited:
How so?

The main issue at hand is teacher evaluations being based on standardized test scores. Currently, in Chicago, student test scores are worth 25% of the teacher evaluation. Rahm wants to increase that to 40% over the next couple year and that is absolutely ridiculous. They turned down the 16% pay raise because of this. 

Good for Chicago teachers tho, hopefully what they're doing echoes throughout the nation and helps the teachers in states where they can't strike.

I'm no advocate for public compulsory education, but paying teachers off of "performance" is not the way. Teachers will be teaching toward a test that has no real world purpose and standards will be lowered just to meet whatever quota there is.

I personally think that "classroom" education is emphasized way too much. The government feels the need to want to push everyone into college which has created a disaster for the nations economy and on the individuals who accumalte debt as a result over the highly subsidized college education.

It's hard enough for inner city youth to assimilate to the real world because there are no jobs in their communities. The inner city youth start working later on in life opposed to their surburban counterparts which leaves them at a disadvantage in experience and sense of self confidence. I'm adjuct professor at a local University. I hear countless complaint from professors on how unprepared some students are. Not only academically, but mentally/emotionally.

I'm no advocate for public compulsory education, but paying teachers off of "performance" is not the way. Teachers will be teaching toward a test that has no real world purpose and standards will be lowered just to meet whatever quota there is.

Boom.

Don't agree!  Not just because I am a teacher.  Most teachers work hard everyday.  I work in an inner city school.  It is rough.  What do you mean by fail.  If it is test scores, than I really don't agree with you.  My school is around 50% special ed. with learning disabilities.  They walk in the door with that.  To me, they don't have a learning disability they have just fallen behind so much and don't get any guidance at home that know because they don't know how to multiply or divide by 6th grade they have a learning disability. 

The system is failing.  But, it is not all on the teachers.  There is a bigger picture and until that is addressed, I don't see any changes. 

Education Is messed up I understand.  I know that I have worked harder or just as hard as some of the teachers who taught me in a suburban school but my students' will perform a lot lower on state tests.  I have a niece who goes to the same school district thatI went to.  I see the worksheets that she brings home and the work that she is expected to do.  Lower level worksheets that are read this chapter and answer the review questions.  If I was to do that I would be fired.  I have kids in 6th, 7th, 8th grade who come in and can't read.  I have kids who can't speak english or very little english.  I have kids who can't spell.  I have kids who stay out all night.  I have kids who stay home to get their hair done or baby-sit.  I have smart kids, gifted kids.  I have kids who because there is no structure at home they are labeled ADHD and can't behave in a class room.  All in the same class.

I know I sound like I am complaining, but teaching is rough.
Sorry for the rant!

Bruh I ain't eem talking bout test scores.

I'm talking about the fact they have something around a 45% dropout rate in Chicago, I'm talking about the fact you have a good percentage of 8th graders who can't even f'in read.

YOU may work hard, and if you do I commend you to the utmost extent, but from personal experience I can't agree that "most teachers" work hard. And like you said, you have 6th, 7th, and 8th graders who can't read, who the hell passed them through 1st - 5th?

You really think there isn't a good amount of teachers in hood who are just passing these kids through knowing either way they'll get a paycheck? I know you have a personal bias because you are a teacher, but you need to be honest with yourself.

Do I agree that teachers should be paid based on test scores? No, because test scores dont reflect a child's intelligence. However, do I think they need to be paid MORE when the schools are failing...HELL NO. That doesn't even make sense, what incentive does that give them to attempt to teach these children any better than they were before?

By the way the day the public school system goes away is the day this country falls apart. The last thing you want is private organizations deciding who they allow to educate. It would only further separate this country between the rich and the poor.

Last edited:
Here's the thing, why do they deserve a raise when the school system is failing?

Teaching (in the inner city) is the only job you can fail to achieve the goals set for you year after year, and STILL keep a job, then have the nerve to complain you deserve more :smh:
Don't agree!  Not just because I am a teacher.  Most teachers work hard everyday.  I work in an inner city school.  It is rough.  What do you mean by fail.  If it is test scores, than I really don't agree with you.  My school is around 50% special ed. with learning disabilities.  They walk in the door with that.  To me, they don't have a learning disability they have just fallen behind so much and don't get any guidance at home that know because they don't know how to multiply or divide by 6th grade they have a learning disability. 

The system is failing.  But, it is not all on the teachers.  There is a bigger picture and until that is addressed, I don't see any changes. 

Education Is messed up I understand.  I know that I have worked harder or just as hard as some of the teachers who taught me in a suburban school but my students' will perform a lot lower on state tests.  I have a niece who goes to the same school district thatI went to.  I see the worksheets that she brings home and the work that she is expected to do.  Lower level worksheets that are read this chapter and answer the review questions.  If I was to do that I would be fired.  I have kids in 6th, 7th, 8th grade who come in and can't read.  I have kids who can't speak english or very little english.  I have kids who can't spell.  I have kids who stay out all night.  I have kids who stay home to get their hair done or baby-sit.  I have smart kids, gifted kids.  I have kids who because there is no structure at home they are labeled ADHD and can't behave in a class room.  All in the same class.

I know I sound like I am complaining, but teaching is rough.
Sorry for the rant!

That's the thing, it's not based on classroom performance, it's based on standardized test scores. There is no issue with creating higher standards, teachers are fine with that. The problem is the weight that standardized test scores hold.

And your example of "There are many factors that go into everyone's lives that their employers do not take into account when creating goals...." is flawed. No other profession is like the teaching profession. Thus comparisons cannot be made. The personal issues of teachers are not what's effecting test scores, it's the personal issues that their students face at home that are effecting test scores. They are trying to penalize teachers for something that they have absolutely ZERO control over.

Key points are underlined for emphasis and cosigned. It is unfair to weigh the entire performance of a student at school on a teacher. Period. Much of the responsibility for a sound education comes from home also, and if there is no foundation there, no parental support and guidance, then the performance of a teacher argument goes right out the window. The Wire depicted this very well in season 5, word to dookie and that dude who became a teacher after leaving the force in season 4. Dookie in the end, had no1, lost hope and the efforts of his teacher weren't enough to keep him from that street needle life.

putting the child's education soley on a teacher is ignorant and unfair, and because this problem isn't being addressed, our education system is failing, word to the lack of engineers this country produces.

The only issue being discussed is the wages.

What about their demands for smaller class sizes? Working HVAC in all schools (the fact that this has to be demanded :smh: )? Quality equipment such as books, computers, etc.?

The Mayor wants to open more charter schools because they cost less and there is less regulation on their quality.

It's a class issue. "We don't want to spend OUR tax money on those poor, inner city kids." Shouldn't equal (QUALITY) education be available to all citizens?

[h1]Derrick Rose: CPS strike 'sad'[/h1]

Updated:  September 11, 2012, 10:38 PM ET
ESPNChicago.com

As the Chicago Public Schools teachers strike closed its second day, Chicago Bulls  star and CPS product Derrick Rose  took to Twitter to express his frustration with the situation.

" I'm sitting here just thinking how sad it is that my city got to go through this. I love my city and everyone in it even my haters!" Rose tweeted.

[h4]More On The Bulls[/h4]
chi.gif

Can't get enough NBA news and notes? ESPNChicago.com has all the latest on the Chicago Bulls. Blog

He followed with: " I don't like that fact that OUR kids are not in school and that's the only thing we have to SAVE these kids."

"He continued with: " I pray everyday for US for real. I know I shouldn't be saying this because I hoop and it's not my lane but I feel like ppl should hear this," before signing off with " Chi town til I die!"

Thousands of teachers walked off the job on Monday when the Chicago Teachers Union began its strike, forcing the closure of the city's public schools. It is the first teacher strike for the CPS, the nation's third-largest school district, in 25 years.

On Monday, the Illinois High School Association denied a waiver request by the CPS to allow athletic teams to continue during the strike.

Rose, who won two state titles at Simeon Career Academy in Chicago, is rehabbing his knee after tearing the anterior cruciate ligament in the first round of the playoffs against the Philadelphia 76ers.

I'm not from the Chi, but I definitely have strong feelings about this

Looking at past experiences in my life, my mom being a teacher, and me being a Vet, and a student who is pursuing a teaching degree. As a E-1 (Private) in the Marines, I was making around 14k per year, working as hard, if not harder than pretty much anyone in this country. Work started at 5 30 am, and sometimes lasted until 2am the following morning. Without digressing into it too much, you can imagine how stressful of a job it might be. My point is that some jobs are bigger than the pay...ESPECIALLY when the pay is a living wage as is. What these teachers mean to Chicago is bigger than the amount of money they're striking for....and it really hurts me that they would put themselves over these children

I'm not sure if I communicated my point very well, but this drives me crazy

"To me, they don't have a learning disability they have just fallen behind so much and don't get any guidance at home that know because they don't know how to multiply or divide by 6th grade they have a learning disability. "

So much truth in this statement

These kids are not disabled they just don't wanna learn cause simple math and reading ain't that hard. :smh:

Also, Derrick Rose shut up, probably never passed a test based on his own knowledge in his life.

A lot of people in this thread (understandably) don't really understand the context of this situation.

Chicago has been trying to phase out public education as we know it and replace it with a scattered collection of publicly-subsidized charter schools for over a decade now. It started under former Mayor Daley and has continued unhindered under Mayor Emmanuel. This process has directly damaged public schools, their students, and the wider communities. The basic process of this assault on public schools is as follows...

1. Labeling every school in certain areas "under-performing" or "failing" due to low student scores on standardized tests. These scores are almost entirely due to forces beyond the school's control, including the socioeconomic conditions facing students in these schools.

2. Deeming these schools "turn-around schools" in order to get rid of the current school administration and teaching staff and install a new one picked by CPS administration. The explanation is that they are trying to help "turn the school around." Students, parents, and communities are almost always against this happening. NEARLY ALL, IF NOT EVERY SINGLE ONE OF, THESE "TURN-AROUND EFFORTS" FAILS. CPS knows that they will fail. They are intended to fail.

3. Closing "under-performing" neighborhood schools under the excuse that they are under-performing...

4. ...and then sending those students to an equally under-performing school in another community. Test scores are not improved and students have to deal with taking multiple forms of public transportation for longer distances to travel to and from school. This dynamic often creates tension within the schools absorbing these new students, as there are often differences in gang and hood allegiances that can touch off conflict when these groups are forced together in the same school. Most people don't know this, but this was the underlying issue leading to Derion Albert's unfortunate but not entirely unpredictable or unforeseeable death.

5. The closed schools are converted into charter schools and CPS money that formerly funded the public neighborhood school now funds the charter school. Many of these charter schools use selective enrollment processes thereby denying average neighborhood students the ability to attend school in their neighborhood. Those that don't use selective enrollment become dumping grounds for students that have dropped out or been kicked out of other schools. These schools are often among the worst-performing in the district.

6. The "success" of those charter schools that employ selective enrollment and therefore deal with a more "desirable" student population than the public neighborhood schools is then held up as a shining example of how charter schools are better than public schools. These charter schools often have private funding that also supplements the money they get from CPS. Thus, they are not playing on an even playing field. Also, the abject failure of so many other charter schools is ignored in favor of the desired narrative.

7. More and more public neighborhood schools are closed and converted to charter schools, reproducing if not exacerbating the achievement gaps that exist between selective enrollment public schools as well as those in "nice" areas of the city and those in the ghetto. This also saves the city money because standards are decentralized and they don't have to deal with unionized teachers and janitorial workers. This creates a "race to the bottom" where dozens of charter schools are constantly popping up saying that they can educate students for less and less money. The vast majority of these schools fare no better, and are often worse, than their public counterparts.

This is the backdrop for the stand-off between the CPS administration and the city of Chicago and the Chicago Teacher's Union. Increasing the weight given the student test scores in evaluating teacher performance and giving the administration greater power to fire and lay off teachers will serve to greatly speed up the aforementioned process which will end public education in Chicago. This fight is much deeper than a lot of you realize...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom