Christopher Nolans INTERSTELLAR (Nov 7, 2014) - Run Time = 2hrs 49mins

Answers.

1. Quantum theory and relativity physics are the two main theories of how reality works but they don't mix with each other, apparently gravity is the sticking point.

Eisenstein tried to combine physics and quantum mechanics into one unified theory, he failed to do so before he died. Scientists have been trying ever since, one theory is that there are actually 5 dimensions instead of four. 5th dimension being space-time. So coop got sucked into a black hole and was sent into a 5th dimension made of time, where I guess he could effect our observable dimension with gravity. ie sending the coordinates or hitting the books.

2. The people who sent the messages to coop closed the 5th dimension and sent him back to our dimension where someone would come and pick him up, since time is relative lots of time has passed since he sent that message but he was only in that dimension for a short period of time.

3. I thought it was humans in the distant future (Anne Hathaways colony ) who have completely figure out quantum mechanics and physics and are so advanced they can effect space time. and create worm holes. since they did that they figured they go and save more people by saving the people on earth by leaving the worm hole there and I guess since time is relative he is just getting sucked into the black hole, they can save coop, get him to transmit the data.

worm hole is the purely theoretical thing in the film, it's never been obsrved so humans/they would have to create it.

So you think Ann Hathaways colony, meaning the eggs where the only ones that really survived in the end, hundreds of years went by and they advanced to the point they can control time and space and "they" eventually were the ones that pulled all the strings in this movie?...meaning at one point they were sent out into space, humans on earth all died, Coop didn't make it through the black hole, but Ann survived to carry out the mission....is about the only thing that makes sense to me, pretty much the future humans (fertilized eggs) sent the signals to save the earth humans, so that they can make it to the planet the colonized , thus creating a whole new reality, how would this affect the future humans reality tho?

Answers.
1. Quantum theory and relativity physics are the two main theories of how reality works but they don't mix with each other, apparently gravity is the sticking point.

Eisenstein tried to combine physics and quantum mechanics into one unified theory, he failed to do so before he died. Scientists have been trying ever since, one theory is that there are actually 5 dimensions instead of four. 5th dimension being space-time. So coop got sucked into a black hole and was sent into a 5th dimension made of time, where I guess he could effect our observable dimension with gravity. ie sending the coordinates or hitting the books.

2. The people who sent the messages to coop closed the 5th dimension and sent him back to our dimension where someone would come and pick him up, since time is relative lots of time has passed since he sent that message but he was only in that dimension for a short period of time.

3. I thought it was humans in the distant future (Anne Hathaways colony ) who have completely figure out quantum mechanics and physics and are so advanced they can effect space time. and create worm holes. since they did that they figured they go and save more people by saving the people on earth by leaving the worm hole there and I guess since time is relative he is just getting sucked into the black hole, they can save coop, get him to transmit the data.

worm hole is the purely theoretical thing in the film, it's never been obsrved so humans/they would have to create it.
So you think Ann Hathaways colony, meaning the eggs where the only ones that really survived in the end, hundreds of years went by and they advanced to the point they can control time and space and "they" eventually were the ones that pulled all the strings in this movie?...meaning at one point they were sent out into space, humans on earth all died, Coop didn't make it through the black hole, but Ann survived to carry out the mission....is about the only thing that makes sense to me, pretty much the future humans (fertilized eggs) sent the signals to save the earth humans, so that they can make it to the planet the colonized , thus creating a whole new reality, how would this affect the future humans reality tho?
thing is there wouldnt be any future humans in the first place if it requires the future humans to create the worm hole just so they can get to the new planet and start a new human race. now if the wormhole was "natural" the timeline would go earth is falling apart, nasa sends anne hathaway and friends to the planets through the wormhole, since this is the first timeline there is no matt to disagree with anne so they follow her love and go to the good planet rather than dr mann's planet. everything goes according to plan, everyone on earth starves but they repopulate the new planet. since the new planet is so close to the black hole eventually this new human race is able to study the black hole and understand 5th dimension physics well enough to go back in time and use matt/murph to save the human population on earth (the events of the movie)

so if the wormhole was created by humans like it was implied in the movie it just creates an endless loop, but if it was natural then theres a clear first timeline second timeline explanation 

thing is there wouldnt be any future humans in the first place if it requires the future humans to create the worm hole just so they can get to the new planet and start a new human race. now if the wormhole was "natural" the timeline would go earth is falling apart, nasa sends anne hathaway and friends to the planets through the wormhole, since this is the first timeline there is no matt to disagree with anne so they follow her love and go to the good planet rather than dr mann's planet. everything goes according to plan, everyone on earth starves but they repopulate the new planet. since the new planet is so close to the black hole eventually this new human race is able to study the black hole and understand 5th dimension physics well enough to go back in time and use matt/murph to save the human population on earth (the events of the movie)

so if the wormhole was created by humans like it was implied in the movie it just creates an endless loop, but if it was natural then theres a clear first timeline second timeline explanation 

Yeah that makes a hell of a lot more sense...Nolan couldn't care to make the story more real?...and seriously the last 10-15 mins pissed me off the more I think about it, for a movie that was based all around love and family it was legit disgusting to see Coop walk into a room full of his grandkids and great grand kids and not a single person even acknowledged him :lol: and then Murph shed a few tears and dismissed him as she was surround it by her family in happiness and told the man to go on another journey searching for Brand :lol:

They don't know him, just by stories.

He was never there. She didn't want him to see her die, she gave him another purpose to keep going.

When you come back and everyone that you know/love is dead, why keep going..

Last edited:
This movie was so incredibly epic and beautiful. I cannot wait to watch it again.

They don't know him, just by stories.

He was never there. She didn't want him to see her die, she gave him another purpose to keep going.

When you come back and everyone that you know/love is dead, why keep going..

Everyone knew who he was, you'd think at least a "hey grandpa!" Would be the least, at least under the circumstances, like this dude is younger than his grandkids, I'd be stoked to meet him.

Honestly I had ZERO clue what was going on in Murphs room in the beginning. I didn't even know what I was suppose to be looking at.

I saw books fall and I saw a ton of dust. I had no clue what they were looking at when they were analyzing stuff. Good thing it was all explained lol

Last edited:
Honestly I had ZERO clue what was going on in Murphs room in the beginning. I didn't even know what I was suppose to be looking at.

I saw books fall and I saw a ton of dust. I had no clue what they were looking at when they were analyzing stuff. Good thing it was all explained lol

I've seen way too many movies to pick up on how blatant the foreshadowing was, right off the bat I knew it was himself communicating with her from the future.

Just came back from Interstellar...some initial fresh thoughts:

- The film is ultimately about hope.

- My (initial) interpretation of the film's message is that of looking to humanity, humans, rather than machines to be the future, to create the future, or to sustain the future.

My favorite two scenes in the film:
Tidal wave scene, end scene with Murphy – “Dad’s coming back he’s going to save us”

- Anne Hathaway was a major misfire. Miscast, more so simply not good. I didn't enjoy her on screen and I haven't said that about any performance I've seen her in. Perhaps it's because she has been away for some time but she really didn't fit the part to me, her performance was ugly.

- This was another immediate thought during and directly after the credits rolled: Beautiful score, best ever in a Nolan film in my eyes (and ears.)

- While most people won’t understand a lot of the verbiage, about physics and Science and gravity, the overall message comes across and the actions do make up for a possible convoluted and ambitious plot. Now, calling the plot convoluted and the script far too intellectual for 99.99% of the planet to accurately comprehend (myself included) doesn't mean it's a bad film. It's just overly ambitious on many fronts but that's typical with a Nolan film.

- Yes this film on the surface is more confusing than Inception

- No we should not compare it at all to last year's Gravity

- As a film, it's a big, bold, beautiful one. The scenes on different planets, in orbit etc are flawless, you really feel like you're off this planet and watching another one. Was it too long, yes. Nolan and his brother obviously went for it with the script, meaning they did their research, spent countless hours with scientists and physicists to get this to sound and feel as realistic as possible. Was that the right way to go for a film like this, yes and no. You're sacrificing the connection with the audience for a sense of authenticity. That's something I think many directors, and studios for that matter would not want or allow.

- Matthew McCounaughey is excellent, so was Jessica Chastain. Both really carried the film.

More to come as I think about the film...

Right now? Not after he won the Oscar? Or after True Detective?

Haven't seen the movie yet but, why are you actin like he has a strong history.

I admit, he's had a nice RDJR type of resurgence.

Don't act like he didn't have a streak of "Saharas"

Haven't seen the movie yet but, why are you actin like he has a strong history.

I admit, he's had a nice RDJR type of resurgence.

Don't act like he didn't have a streak of "Saharas"

Matthew McCounaughey is on a streak right now. He has also managed to COMPLETELY transform his image and Hollywood status.

He was probably the only flawless part of the movie, dude did an outstanding job, his acting is on God level right now....

My favorite scene was when they got back on the ship an 2 decades had gone by, had my mind blown...how crazy is that...

He was probably the only flawless part of the movie, dude did an outstanding job, his acting is on God level right now....

My favorite scene was when they got back on the ship an 2 decades had gone by, had my mind blown...how crazy is that...
"I've waited years." :pimp: :pimp:

Can someone explain something to me?

If Cooper was Murph's ghost and his job was to keep himself from getting onto the ship, why send the binary code that gave them coordinates to NASA in the first place?

If Cooper was Murph's ghost and his job was to keep himself from getting onto the ship, why send the binary code that gave them coordinates to NASA in the first place?
This is going to sound like a cop out (because it is), but it's essentially a time paradox. The thing to remember is that in the 5th dimension, there is no concept of time. So as we follow Cooper's timeline in a linear manner, he can access any period of time in Murph's room. So this is how I interpret it:
1. Cooper arrives in the 5th dimension. The time in Murph's room he first sees is himself leaving. He knows that he has failed (and based on the previous events, that Edmunds' planet is probably not viable either) so he sends the morse for "STAY."
2. TARS tells Cooper that he has retrieved the data from gargantua
3. Cooper realizes that this data can only be obtained if he goes to space. So he "floats" to the day of the dust storm to send the coordinates to NASA
*This is where the paradox comes in. Your question is probably, if Coop has already left in 1. then why does he have to send the message? Because if he never sends the message in 3., technically event 1. may never happen.
4. Cooper uses morse (or was it binary?) to send the data to that Hamilton watch when it is placed on the bookcase.
Really, the whole sequence probably takes minutes for Coop while he is going from different time periods in Murph's life.

So yeah, it's the inherent problem with time travel films. Why does John Connor have to send a T800 back in time to save him, if he's technically still alive in the future? In the end, we either accept it or not. The only difference is that T1 and T2 lets the audience know this up front, while Interstellar tries to make it a third act plot twist, which is really tough to accept after 2.5 hours.

Just finished watching the film wow loved it

Visually amazing and the story was good (understood it better thanks to reading some of the spoilers, saw a lot of confused faces at the end)
With that said still think fury was overall better still
Top 2 movie of this year for me

I had extremely high expectations and couldn't have left more disappointed. 

"It's necessary." 
laugh.gif

Watered down, over-sentimental convoluted version of Space Odyssey for the Mainstream audience. 

6 / 10. 

This is going to sound like a cop out (because it is), but it's essentially a time paradox. The thing to remember is that in the 5th dimension, there is no concept of time. So as we follow Cooper's timeline in a linear manner, he can access any period of time in Murph's room. So this is how I interpret it:
1. Cooper arrives in the 5th dimension. The time in Murph's room he first sees is himself leaving. He knows that he has failed (and based on the previous events, that Edmunds' planet is probably not viable either) so he sends the morse for "STAY."
2. TARS tells Cooper that he has retrieved the data from gargantua
3. Cooper realizes that this data can only be obtained if he goes to space. So he "floats" to the day of the dust storm to send the coordinates to NASA
*This is where the paradox comes in. Your question is probably, if Coop has already left in 1. then why does he have to send the message? Because if he never sends the message in 3., technically event 1. may never happen.
4. Cooper uses morse (or was it binary?) to send the data to that Hamilton watch when it is placed on the bookcase.
Really, the whole sequence probably takes minutes for Coop while he is going from different time periods in Murph's life.

So yeah, it's the inherent problem with time travel films. Why does John Connor have to send a T800 back in time to save him, if he's technically still alive in the future? In the end, we either accept it or not. The only difference is that T1 and T2 lets the audience know this up front, while Interstellar tries to make it a third act plot twist, which is really tough to accept after 2.5 hours.

That makes sense. Repped :smokin

Back
Top Bottom