College Basketball "off-season" Thread (players leaving/coaching changes/recruiting)

Anyone else know what teams are overseas playing this summer (other than UNLV, ND and Siena)

Siena won again

Moore had 11 assists, five steals and no turnovers to go along with his 14 points.
My guy just refuses to turn it over
pimp.gif

..ND needed OT to beat an Ireland team. Harangody has lost weight. Really don't know if that's beneficial.

Anyone else know what teams are overseas playing this summer (other than UNLV, ND and Siena)

Lol my school. Columbia
smh.gif
They're playing overseas I think they should be leaving soon.

[h1]Robinson suspended three games by Buffalo for Facebook ad[/h1]
Associated Press

Updated: August 22, 2008, 6:49 PM ET

BUFFALO, N.Y. -- Leading scorer Andy Robinson was suspended for three games by theUniversity at Buffalo on Friday for posting an advertisement on the Internet last spring to pay someone to write a course paper.

Buffalo coach Reggie Witherspoon said the suspension will cover the Bulls' first three regular-season games. Robinson, a senior guard who topped Buffaloin scoring last season, has resumed practicing with the team after being suspended in April.

"He has done everything asked of him from the university, division of athletics and men's basketball program to atone for his actions, and haslearned and grown from his mistake," Witherspoon said in a statement.

The suspension was handed down after Robinson acknowledged he placed an ad on the Facebook.com marketplace Website, offering to pay $40 or more for someone to write a course paper. News of the advertisement was first published in the school's student newspaper, TheSpectrum, which led to Robinson's suspension.

Robinson has since completed the paper on his own and apologized, saying, "I take full responsibility and realize I must regain the trust of myteammates, fellow student athletes and coaching staff."
Copyright 2008 by The As

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

I think the pac-10 is better than you're giving them credit for - you're talking about a group of teams (5 or 6 after UCLA) that could be really goodor really average.. so i guess it's yet to be seen how they'll really be.. but this conference is going to have a lot of offense and not much defensein the games that don't involve Howland's squad.. so they'll be fun to watch anyways.

How is Oklahoma not a Top 25 team, Dickie V?
smh.gif
I have absolutely no idea how people see Kansas as a superior team going into this year...

UNIVERSITY OF KENTUCKY: Patterson seems ready to return

The UK sophomore-to-be, who is recovering from surgery on a stress fracture in his left ankle in March, might return to the court this week, coach Billy Gillispie said.

Gillispie said last Tuesday that Patterson was expected back on the court in "a week to 10 days."

Patterson has been "working three or four hours a day" in rehab, Gillispie said, with his mind set on getting back on the floor.

"I believe he's gained one pound," Gillispie said. "He's gained one pound, and I think his body-fat percentage is up one percent. Think about that. His inactivity is a little different than if you and I were inactive for a long period of time, but that's incredible."

Patterson averaged 16.4 points and 7.7 rebounds as a freshman last season before the stress fracture caused him to miss UK's last four games. The 6-foot-8 forward is the Wildcats' leading returning scorer and rebounder.

"He's ready to get back and play," Gillispie said. "And we're definitely ready for him to get back and play."

He likes the idea of getting back a healthy Patterson.

"Everything's going really better than what's expected (for Patterson)," Gillispie said. "And you have to knock on wood every time you say that."

Carlino to IU

Arizona standout Class of 2011 guard Matt Carlino, who last month talked to me about his high interest in Indiana University, ended any future speculation on Saturday night when he committed to the Hoosiers.
The 6-foot-2 left-handed combo guard was in Bloomington on Saturday for the Indiana Elite Camp and gave IU coach Tom Crean a nice parting gift.

Carlino is from Highland High School in Gilbert, Ariz., and was also being recruited by Arizona State, Arizona, UCLA and UCS.

"My dad was a huge fan of Bobby Knight," Carlino told me in Las Vegas last month. "We have just always been Hoosier fans."

Carlino, whose father and high school coach (Mark Carlino) played at Arizona State, went to Indiana team camp with his high school mates back in July and said Tom Crean was "just a huge plus" for Indiana.

"I love Indiana," he said. "You can't get any better than Bloomington, Indiana, basketball wise."

Carlino was ranked No. 8 in the '11 class by the Hoop Scoop

I was impressed with Carlino in the few games I saw him this summer. A nice stroke from outside and he's only going to get stronger as he gets older. He's going to be a good one for coach Crean!

Crean's doing big things already at Indiana. He'll fair well there.

And for once I have something to brag about, today we had 2 visitors at St. John's on unofficial visits watching practice Kevin Parrom and Jordan Williams.2 top 100 players for the 09 class that would fill our major voids. Didn't really help though that we looked like crap in practice outside of a fewplayers.

I'm excited about Texas A&M getting to play Kent State in the South Padre Invitational early in the season.

Tyree Evans
pimp.gif

And the Morris brothers still haven't been cleared to play at Kansas
smh.gif
If they don't become eligible, Kansas is looking pretty weak down low...

Originally Posted by allen3xis

Tyler Crawford has signed with the same Euro team Jon did.

don't know how he pulled that off but glad to hear he's still playing. must say crawford was one of my favorites.

[h1]A big-time Wink for favored UNLV[/h1]
ESPN.com

Updated: August 25, 2008

ncb_u_adams_580.jpg

Marlene Karas/US Presswire

UNLV's Wink Adams will be a preseason favorite for MWC Player of the Year.
[h3]Meet a man called Wink[/h3]
By Matt Youmans
Special to ESPN.com

Not even all of UNLV senior Wink Adams' teammates know the story behind his unique first name. His given name is Jo'Van, but that was replaced by a nickname when he was an infant. "In my baby pictures, I always had one eye closed for some reason. I really don't know why," Adams said. A mystery man to most who follow college basketball, Adams might be the best-kept secret out west. He's a leading contender for Player of the Year in the Mountain West Conference, and by the end of this season, the muscular 6-foot shooting guard could be recognized as one of the nation's top seniors. "I certainly can't imagine a lot of players being more valuable to a team than Wink is to us," Rebels coach Lon Kruger said. "Wink will be on everybody's radar." UNLV has gone 57-15 with three NCAA tournament victories over the past two seasons, and Adams has been the common thread in the program's success. The Rebels figure to be the team to beat in the Mountain West, but Adams has an eye on a bigger goal: the Final Four. "We've got all the pieces we need," said Adams, a sophomore starter on a Sweet 16 team in 2007. "I think this year we can make a real magical run." Adams can continue to put his fingerprints all over the UNLV record book. He has 1,432 points to rank 14th on the Rebels' career list behind Larry Johnson (1,617). With another strong season, Adams could become the fifth UNLV player to score at least 2,000 points. In an NCAA tournament second-round loss to eventual national champion Kansas, Adams scored 25 points. He used his strength and quickness to get to the free-throw line, where he hit 15 of 17 shots. He averaged 22.8 points over his final five games last season, carrying the Rebels to the Mountain West tournament championship and a first-round victory over Kent State.
dropQuote.gif
[h3]As a team, we're just not getting the exposure. We're just winning games.
dropQuoteEnd.gif
[/h3]
--Wink Adams
But national acclaim has eluded Adams. Not that he cares much. Ask about his game, and he starts bragging about teammates like senior forwards Joe Darger and Rene Rougeau. The lack of national attention isn't personal, he said, but it's more important for UNLV to get noticed. "The same teams are always on ESPN, and they get a lot of national exposure," he said. "As a team, we're just not getting the exposure. We're just winning games. "When I got here, the first thing Coach Kruger said [was], 'It's all about the team. We've got to make each other better.' I can't do interviews and always talk about me. I give everybody credit. It's not just me. I want everybody to feel like we're all an important part of this team." Adams averaged 16.9 points as junior, leading a short-handed Rebels team to a 27-8 finish. Kruger said Adams remains an under-the-radar star because he's not a 20 points-per-game scorer. Around the Mountain West, Adams is known for his tenacity. He makes his presence felt in big games and displays the defensive intensity of an attack dog. "I love his toughness," Utah coach Jim Boylen said. "He makes big shots, and he plays both ends of the floor." In last season's conference tournament title game, Adams scored 14 straight points over a 4 1/2-minute stretch in the second half to lift his team to a 76-61 victory over top-seeded Brigham Young. He was weakened by the flu but was still named the tournament MVP. If the Rebels are to hold off contenders BYU, San Diego State and Utah this season, Adams' play will be the primary reason. "Wink can really score, he can really defend, and he competes like crazy," Kruger said, "and those are three great qualities." Matt Youmans covers college basketball for the Las Vegas Review-Journal.

pimp.gif

anybody else watching the Elite 24 on ESPN..Lance gave Dominic Cheek the only crossover twice smh

John Wall banged on these dudes in traffic

can't wait til they get to college

Originally Posted by allen3xis

[h1]A big-time Wink for favored UNLV[/h1]
ESPN.com

Updated: August 25, 2008

ncb_u_adams_580.jpg

Marlene Karas/US Presswire

UNLV's Wink Adams will be a preseason favorite for MWC Player of the Year.
[h3]Meet a man called Wink[/h3]
By Matt Youmans
Special to ESPN.com

Not even all of UNLV senior Wink Adams' teammates know the story behind his unique first name. His given name is Jo'Van, but that was replaced by a nickname when he was an infant. "In my baby pictures, I always had one eye closed for some reason. I really don't know why," Adams said. A mystery man to most who follow college basketball, Adams might be the best-kept secret out west. He's a leading contender for Player of the Year in the Mountain West Conference, and by the end of this season, the muscular 6-foot shooting guard could be recognized as one of the nation's top seniors. "I certainly can't imagine a lot of players being more valuable to a team than Wink is to us," Rebels coach Lon Kruger said. "Wink will be on everybody's radar." UNLV has gone 57-15 with three NCAA tournament victories over the past two seasons, and Adams has been the common thread in the program's success. The Rebels figure to be the team to beat in the Mountain West, but Adams has an eye on a bigger goal: the Final Four. "We've got all the pieces we need," said Adams, a sophomore starter on a Sweet 16 team in 2007. "I think this year we can make a real magical run." Adams can continue to put his fingerprints all over the UNLV record book. He has 1,432 points to rank 14th on the Rebels' career list behind Larry Johnson (1,617). With another strong season, Adams could become the fifth UNLV player to score at least 2,000 points. In an NCAA tournament second-round loss to eventual national champion Kansas, Adams scored 25 points. He used his strength and quickness to get to the free-throw line, where he hit 15 of 17 shots. He averaged 22.8 points over his final five games last season, carrying the Rebels to the Mountain West tournament championship and a first-round victory over Kent State.
dropQuote.gif
[h3]As a team, we're just not getting the exposure. We're just winning games.
dropQuoteEnd.gif
[/h3]
--Wink Adams
But national acclaim has eluded Adams. Not that he cares much. Ask about his game, and he starts bragging about teammates like senior forwards Joe Darger and Rene Rougeau. The lack of national attention isn't personal, he said, but it's more important for UNLV to get noticed. "The same teams are always on ESPN, and they get a lot of national exposure," he said. "As a team, we're just not getting the exposure. We're just winning games. "When I got here, the first thing Coach Kruger said [was], 'It's all about the team. We've got to make each other better.' I can't do interviews and always talk about me. I give everybody credit. It's not just me. I want everybody to feel like we're all an important part of this team." Adams averaged 16.9 points as junior, leading a short-handed Rebels team to a 27-8 finish. Kruger said Adams remains an under-the-radar star because he's not a 20 points-per-game scorer. Around the Mountain West, Adams is known for his tenacity. He makes his presence felt in big games and displays the defensive intensity of an attack dog. "I love his toughness," Utah coach Jim Boylen said. "He makes big shots, and he plays both ends of the floor." In last season's conference tournament title game, Adams scored 14 straight points over a 4 1/2-minute stretch in the second half to lift his team to a 76-61 victory over top-seeded Brigham Young. He was weakened by the flu but was still named the tournament MVP. If the Rebels are to hold off contenders BYU, San Diego State and Utah this season, Adams' play will be the primary reason. "Wink can really score, he can really defend, and he competes like crazy," Kruger said, "and those are three great qualities." Matt Youmans covers college basketball for the Las Vegas Review-Journal.
My dude Wink...
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom