Computer P.S.A. (helpful programs, apps, and tips)

I posted this yesterday, but I lost the post, so I'll post it here.

Go here and download all of the files on the page (near the bottom). Every one should be detected as a virus. Don't be scared though, because they're not really viruses. I suggest you read the page for more info.

eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm

NOD32 is working for me as always. 8)
glasses.gif

nod328ak.png

Also, if you have realtime virus scan enabled, you can go to eicar.org, and get the code for it in a text file. If you take the text file and change it to an exe or a zip (I don't remember offhand) your antivirus should pick it. Basically just a way to check something else, as virii can sometimes be packed inside another file, which could bypass your AV. Not likely, but you never know.

[/b]​

^ Never knew that. I just pasted the code into notepad, and saved it as a txt, exe, zip, and a bunch of other filetypes, and NOD32 quarantined them as soon as I saved. :smokin
smokin.gif

I just downloaded spybot s&d but when i click check for problems it says that i need to download the updates. Once i got to the update part i tried to download the detection thing but it doesnt go through

[/b]​

Quote:
Did you get your osx back up and running yet?
Nah, I had to reformat and I still haven't got all my programs up and running again. I just made the 10.4.5 DVD though, so I'll install it like next Sunday or something.

Does anyone know how to get firefox to display text like this new IE 7. The text in IE7 >>>> than text in Firefox. Does anyone know how to set up Firefox (on the left) to look the same as text in IE7 (on the right)?

Sorry for posting in this thread and in the Internet Explorer thread. I didn't know the proper post to put this in. Mods, please take down whichever one you think is inappropriate/misplaced.
Valley

Recently, my computer has stopped reading .jpg files, but when the extension is .jpeg it works fine. Any ideas on why this is or how to fix it?

rename a .jpeg to a .jpg. Then right click and select open with. Then select the program you want to open pics with. Make sure to select the checkbox to always use that program

Quick question to you cat............I got 2 laptops and a desktop...desktop is hooked up to the cable modem then I have a netgear router (super G) running as well. One laptop works fine 24/7 off the router(both laptops have wireless built in).

The other laptop stays connected to the wireless router maybe 30-45mins then it says limited or no connectivity, then I have to restart the laptop to get the connection again.

What could be cause the connection to drop like that all the time??

hey nick, i would like to thank you for that pc guide. I got one question, you know how you wrote about windows error messages that pop up and ask to you send or dont send. Well i get that alot on my windows media player. when i try to open a file usually it will crash my windows explorer and come right back with messed up icons on the bottom right. Any help on how to fix that? Thanks in advance.

Ok serious problem guys.

My machine goes into periodic bouts of activity. one moment it's working fine, then suddenly it becomes "busy" , the green light keeps flashing, and generally slows down all programs.
This goes on for intervals of 5 minutes.

Can anyone help?
I love tools.

www.belarc.com/free_download.html
For some of you that have hardware knowledge you can use this program. This program tells you everything that is in your computer all the way down to your case. This will allow you to know your RAM to upgrade and even look for bios updates fro your motherboard/processor. Tells you what slots are free and all tat good stuff. Also indicates if your anti-virus and windows programs are working right.

Also : speakeasy this site test your connection speed see if its performin at the speeds it should be.

For the techs out there, this is what i have protecting my computer:

AVG (Free Edition)
Microsoft Anti-Spyware
Ad-Aware SE Personal

Do I need anything additional? I appreciate the advice. great post....

I have a brand new laptop with Windows XP, I use Firefox and have Windows Media Player 10. It works fine for playing videos outside of Firefox, but when I try to view a video that's on a webpage, I get the green puzzle piece and "Click Here to Download Plug-In". When I try to do that, it tells me I already have a more current version of Windows Media Player installed.

Seems like an easy fix, what's the deal?
[/b]

if all else fails, DL the IE extension for firefox and use that to play your videos
honoring the site that founded "The Study of Phat Kicks"​

I was wondering if some of you computer savy nters could help me out. Here's the problem: yesterday I went to staples and bought a 50 pack of CD-R Maxell CD's to burn some movies and music onto. I have used Maxell in the past and had no problems, as I've burned movies and music on them. Suffice it to say I open the package up and insert the first CD to burn Requiem for a dream, it burns without problem, I then proceed to do the same thing for Are We There Yet, and Friday. I then I have been trying to use the past 10 blank CD's to download stuff and each time its gets to the last two minutes of burning it abruptly closes and says there has been some error. I have and continue to go through CD"s and it says they are now "unusable". What is going on and can someone help? thanks

Back
Top Bottom