Confusing clients FTL. NT tell me what you think.

This band in Chicago hits me on my gmail asking for a cover done. These dudes got a sample of my work from someone and they were hyped. Telling me that I was their first and only choice for the cover, and they wanted t shirts made. So I said no problem, told them that I will be out in cali for week but after that I'm free (Cali > NY by the way). I come back from Cali (Santa Barbara to be exact) emailed the guy asked him what did HE and the BAND want on the cover and I will do my best to make it happen.

here is where it gets tricky.

The dude hits me back gives me a painting and says. "I want this painting on the cover. We want the main focus to be the painting obviously but we also want YOUR creativity attached. We like your style and we want you spiff up the cover."

basically he sent me a painting and told me to create w/e

*bong* no problem I took the painting he wanted and made a cover. Here is the results.

The painting:

frontil.png

I looked at the painting and my first thought was "
ohwell.gif
W T F am I going to do with that?" But fired up Photoshop and made this:

(They have no logo at the moment, so I just slapped some regular font on there as a "place holder")

front2.png

So before I sent the finished product to them, I let my boy (who is also a designer) look it. Dude said it was all good and to send it off. I felt that the cover was nice, so I sent it.

I get a email back from them and they were like "[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]the band name in italics makes it stand out a little too much[/color] We were also hoping for it to be a little more focused on the painting(s), so the portions at the bottom and the starry sky are probably unnecessary.  If anything, we'd probably want the background to lean more towards a lighter color, like white. What we were hoping YOUR input would be would be something along the lines of spiffing it up a bit-- we get that the painting is... well... just a painting and it doesn't exactly make for a great cover on its very own. But honestly, for the most part, [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]just slap the painting on there[/color]-- composition and all (meaning, instead of having those creature-like things be in the middle, let them maintain their corner-like positions on the canvas/album covers) and at least for the front, put the text in the negative space that's created."

exact words.

I read the email once again I was like "
ohwell.gif
W T F?" Like they sent me a message saying they wanted me to be creative and then they sent me a message saying they want it simplistic with no additions to it?
laugh.gif

They have no logo, so I put reg. font on there for just as a temporary basis. But they told me they dont want the band name to stand out (made no sense to me), but they said the font was to generic. You don't wan it to stand out but a non standout type of font is generic? You wanted creativity, but you just want me to slap the painting on there?

IDK NT. I have been a graphic designer for about 8 years. I have worked with some big name clients/corporations ie General Motors, and DJ A-Trak etc. I consistantly get some of the highest marks in my Graphics classes. I always make sure I feel confident in my work before I send it to someone. But this time I was little confused/put off by the whole situation.

This actually got me to feel like maybe I was dead wrong on the cover and off the mark.

what do you all think? Did The Juice F' up the cover or was it a cool cover?  Honest opinions.

at the end of the day....I get payed. And my girl just spent 325 on some new heels so we goin to sip on some wine and watch a girly movie and have fun.
pimp.gif

cliffnotes:
Band wants me to design a cover
wants my creativity
I design the cover
they say they dont want creativity they want simple
I'm confused

-The Juice

This band in Chicago hits me on my gmail asking for a cover done. These dudes got a sample of my work from someone and they were hyped. Telling me that I was their first and only choice for the cover, and they wanted t shirts made. So I said no problem, told them that I will be out in cali for week but after that I'm free (Cali > NY by the way). I come back from Cali (Santa Barbara to be exact) emailed the guy asked him what did HE and the BAND want on the cover and I will do my best to make it happen.

here is where it gets tricky.

The dude hits me back gives me a painting and says. "I want this painting on the cover. We want the main focus to be the painting obviously but we also want YOUR creativity attached. We like your style and we want you spiff up the cover."

basically he sent me a painting and told me to create w/e

*bong* no problem I took the painting he wanted and made a cover. Here is the results.

The painting:

frontil.png

I looked at the painting and my first thought was "
ohwell.gif
W T F am I going to do with that?" But fired up Photoshop and made this:

(They have no logo at the moment, so I just slapped some regular font on there as a "place holder")

front2.png

So before I sent the finished product to them, I let my boy (who is also a designer) look it. Dude said it was all good and to send it off. I felt that the cover was nice, so I sent it.

I get a email back from them and they were like "[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]the band name in italics makes it stand out a little too much[/color] We were also hoping for it to be a little more focused on the painting(s), so the portions at the bottom and the starry sky are probably unnecessary.  If anything, we'd probably want the background to lean more towards a lighter color, like white. What we were hoping YOUR input would be would be something along the lines of spiffing it up a bit-- we get that the painting is... well... just a painting and it doesn't exactly make for a great cover on its very own. But honestly, for the most part, [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]just slap the painting on there[/color]-- composition and all (meaning, instead of having those creature-like things be in the middle, let them maintain their corner-like positions on the canvas/album covers) and at least for the front, put the text in the negative space that's created."

exact words.

I read the email once again I was like "
ohwell.gif
W T F?" Like they sent me a message saying they wanted me to be creative and then they sent me a message saying they want it simplistic with no additions to it?
laugh.gif

They have no logo, so I put reg. font on there for just as a temporary basis. But they told me they dont want the band name to stand out (made no sense to me), but they said the font was to generic. You don't wan it to stand out but a non standout type of font is generic? You wanted creativity, but you just want me to slap the painting on there?

IDK NT. I have been a graphic designer for about 8 years. I have worked with some big name clients/corporations ie General Motors, and DJ A-Trak etc. I consistantly get some of the highest marks in my Graphics classes. I always make sure I feel confident in my work before I send it to someone. But this time I was little confused/put off by the whole situation.

This actually got me to feel like maybe I was dead wrong on the cover and off the mark.

what do you all think? Did The Juice F' up the cover or was it a cool cover?  Honest opinions.

at the end of the day....I get payed. And my girl just spent 325 on some new heels so we goin to sip on some wine and watch a girly movie and have fun.
pimp.gif

cliffnotes:
Band wants me to design a cover
wants my creativity
I design the cover
they say they dont want creativity they want simple
I'm confused

-The Juice

I think its awesome. But in the end, it is their cover. You have to work until your client is happy. Dont feel like what you did
wasnt good enough. Just work with what they want and still but your creative touch.

I think its awesome. But in the end, it is their cover. You have to work until your client is happy. Dont feel like what you did
wasnt good enough. Just work with what they want and still but your creative touch.

pimp.gif
on your work.
It just seems to me that they REALLY don't know what they want.

pimp.gif
on your work.
It just seems to me that they REALLY don't know what they want.

Thanks guys. I understand that the costumer is always right. And that they are very specific in what they want. But this time I was really confused. These guys had no guidelines and now all of a sudden they want the whole thing changed. Really made me feel like
grin.gif

But w/e its all good. I will make the corrections tomorrow.

-The Juice

Thanks guys. I understand that the costumer is always right. And that they are very specific in what they want. But this time I was really confused. These guys had no guidelines and now all of a sudden they want the whole thing changed. Really made me feel like
grin.gif

But w/e its all good. I will make the corrections tomorrow.

-The Juice

i've done my fair work in photoshop and graphic design.. website design etc.

you did a great job, especially since you didn't get any details. you worked with what you had, and you put something together.

pimp.gif
to you and the graphic.

i've done my fair work in photoshop and graphic design.. website design etc.

you did a great job, especially since you didn't get any details. you worked with what you had, and you put something together.

pimp.gif
to you and the graphic.

That cover is horrible.
The font is what kills it the band's name looks horrible (font/italic) and the "ghosts"
overall its just horrible, the mountains go from white to black?

That cover is horrible.
The font is what kills it the band's name looks horrible (font/italic) and the "ghosts"
overall its just horrible, the mountains go from white to black?

honestly dukes the whole mountain thing looks poorly made .. like you took some clipart image and slapped on the painting using photoshop

Looking at the painting and both the band's name and their albums name you could try to turn the strokes that are kind of blots that look like a small head into an actual head and have the rest of the strokes as a sort of billowing robe or epherial body

There's also another head like shape that looks like a small white death skull

Anyways when I look at it that's why I think they're referring to making it lighter with like a white backdrop, also there's so much contrast in the painting that you could use and play off of ..... just take some time to take in the picture as well as the band's name and the album name and I'm sure it'll come to you

honestly dukes the whole mountain thing looks poorly made .. like you took some clipart image and slapped on the painting using photoshop

Looking at the painting and both the band's name and their albums name you could try to turn the strokes that are kind of blots that look like a small head into an actual head and have the rest of the strokes as a sort of billowing robe or epherial body

There's also another head like shape that looks like a small white death skull

Anyways when I look at it that's why I think they're referring to making it lighter with like a white backdrop, also there's so much contrast in the painting that you could use and play off of ..... just take some time to take in the picture as well as the band's name and the album name and I'm sure it'll come to you

Just design something like just black and white and hit it with the multiply on top of the painting and call it a day. BTW i @!*%$*# hate clients. either they will give you a simple request and then they them self's complicate things or they give you too much space and complain about it not representing what they wanted

Just design something like just black and white and hit it with the multiply on top of the painting and call it a day. BTW i @!*%$*# hate clients. either they will give you a simple request and then they them self's complicate things or they give you too much space and complain about it not representing what they wanted

Originally Posted by 916kings

THIS. When I'm working with folks for covers, I will email/text/DM you about 50 million times until I have it down. In the end, it's their vision, so it should be exactly how they want it.

Originally Posted by 916kings

THIS. When I'm working with folks for covers, I will email/text/DM you about 50 million times until I have it down. In the end, it's their vision, so it should be exactly how they want it.

Yeah the mountains are pretty basic, I mean I know it's supposed to be a shadow or whatever but that part of it could use more detail.

I really like how you thought of the northern lights concept though.

Back
Top Bottom