Couple quits job and travel the world in boat

Not sure how some of you are knocking it as not being courageous when your own fears of leaving the career and life you know are highlighted in this post. Might not be your dream, but it's not easy to walk away from your every day, I know you've all thought about it so don't be hypocritical.

Not sure how some of you are knocking it as not being courageous when your own fears of leaving the career and life you know are highlighted in this post. Might not be your dream, but it's not easy to walk away from your every day, I know you've all thought about it so don't be hypocritical.
Yeah you can definitely see where a lot of people's mindsets are. A lot of salty folks, "silver spoons & trust fund babies"
eyes.gif
 ever heard of just saving money and investing?
There is a couple from Las Vegas that were both teachers who retired by the age of 30 with a net worth of 1.5MM by living within their means and investing it is doable. Many people just can't fathom not working until 65.

The crazy thing is that by 65 people still usually don't have enough for retirement, so all of those years are still wasted. Go against the grain and strive to retire early.

Last edited:
I am jelly of them. I wish i could do that. Its just not practical for me. I have a great job that i could not walk away from like that.

I would like an update on this story when they are divorced, fighting over who gets the boat since its their only asset, the cat in the Adriatic somewhere and neither have money for retirement and are working at chick fil a at age 70. "Good thing we bailed on life for those years on the boat there" Its called a long vacation.

I mean, lettuce bee cereal...

Did they really need to quit their job, sell their house and all just to travel?

I know people that travel all the time, and they still have their careers.

Yeah you can definitely see where a lot of people's mindsets are. A lot of salty folks, "silver spoons & trust fund babies"
eyes.gif
 ever heard of just saving money and investing?
Says they sold everything too, their house and car.

I couldn't do it. I get sick of things too fast to put all my eggs into the "travel the world in a boat" basket.. I'd be sitting there 6 months later like "what was I thinking?"

Last edited:
Are people missing the part where they sold everything they own? If i got rid of a house, cars, etc I pretty sure that gives me enough to live on 12,000 a year for a few year.

I would never sell everything I own I didn't read the article lol, but still most people in here aren't even going that far. Most are saying that they would never leave their job until its time to retire at 65 basically.

I couldn't do it. I get sick of things too fast to put all my eggs into the "travel the world in a boat" basket.. I'd be sitting there 6 months later like "what was I thinking?"

Same here.

I can appreciate having the balls to leave everything behind including your job and possessions but eventually I'd just be sitting in that boat like "wtf am I doing here"

Last edited:
I'd probably die in the middle of the ocean when a bad storm hits and destroys my boat. No one would even know where my corpse is.

Quitting your job and traveling the world I can get with. Selling EVERYTHING you own AND doing it in a boat, not so much.

Same here.

I can appreciate having the balls to leave everything behind including your job and possessions but eventually I'd just be sitting in that boat like "wtf am I doing here"

Pretty much!

From the looks of those pictures, looks like it's a year worth of traveling.

What happens when they get bored of it and wanna settle down?

What happens if they have kids? Raise them on a boat? Homeschool on a boat? :lol:

Get sick? Dentist? Doctors? Tarzan and Jane?

Last edited:

Same here.

Pretty much!

From the looks of those pictures, looks like it's a year worth of traveling.

What happens when they get bored of it and wanna settle down?

What happens if they have kids? Raise them on a boat? Homeschool on a boat? :lol:

Get sick? Dentist? Doctors? Tarzan and Jane?

Ok we got it, you ain't about that life.

:rolleyes Thread probably would have went smoother if dudes didn't come in with that "They're courageous and yall are just stuck in the system in fear!" "Yall can do it too if yall had courage! And not care about coppin Da Jesus Piece"

Miss me.

Last edited:
This isn't about being courageous or brave, etc. Not sure if that was brought up in the article or just in this thread. It is definitely not about "white privilege" or "daddys trust fund" either. It's about wanting to see the world and getting out of your comfort zone, when you really learn about yourself and start your road to self-actualization.

I guess if it's not for you it's not for you...but how would you know if you didn't try? The best part about traveling is meeting other people with different perspectives on life, that you would never have been exposed to staying in the same place or country your whole life...that help shape your own view of the world. I backpacked through Europe with 2 of my best friends for a month when I was 19 and had the time of my life...never had been out of the country (USA) and got to see Ireland, Spain, France, and the Netherlands. We spent most of our money on transportation and alcohol...ate really cheap food (bread, brie, deli meat, mustard, mayo pretty much everyday -- gave me crazy stomach cramps btw). Total trip cost me under $2500, which is not sustainable in the long run but I knew I wouldn't be able to go back to Europe for a while so might as well enjoy it while it last.
Crazy thing was that I never really felt culture shocked when I was in those countries, but I was very culture shocked when I returned to the USA. It was as if I saw everything through a different lens and it frustrated me to no end. I was angry, had anxiety, and slightly depressed. But in the end it opened up my mind to new ideas, perspectives, cultures, etc. which made me who I am today. Since then, I've spent 9 months in South America in 4 different countries by myself and can't wait until I get the opportunity to see more because when you are traveling you are always learning....and what is the point of living if you aren't learning something every single day...

People get really comfortable in the bubble they are living in and don't want to risk their security by stepping out of their comfort zone. I'm not saying you have to go to the extreme like this couple did (I've met people that have taken it further than this), but you can't tell me you know that the USA work-lifestyle is for you if you haven't even attempted to explore other countries/cultures. The USA has so many positives and benefits that people take for granted (freedom of speech, jobs, clean running water, electricity, etc.), but it's funny when people say "USA is the greatest country in the world!!" Most of the time those people don't even have a passport (75% of USA citizens).

Nah the issue I have is OP presented this as a act of courageousness. It is on the surface level but I am pretty sure that those folks hve plenty of $ stashed away, break in case of emergency. So is it REALLY courageous if they have that other money just sitting around.

Implying that we all could do that when that just isn't realistic.

THAT is my issue with passing this off as courageous 

This story gave me enough courage to sell everything TVs, shoes, clothes, furniture, etc. to get Porshe money B, and cop the 911 and travel the US.

. . . when my car overheat which one of y'all NTers gonna spot me tho?

Last edited:
Agreed, never understood that line of thinking. Ask anyone in their 50s or 60s if they would trade their wealth just be in their 20s and 30s again.

In America, anyone can live this lifestyle if they are determined.
Exactly, seen a bunch of old guys in their 50s and 60s that regret not traveling and seeing new places when they were younger when they actually had the energy to do it

Nah the issue I have is OP presented this as a act of courageousness. It is on the surface level but I am pretty sure that those folks hve plenty of $ stashed away, break in case of emergency. So is it REALLY courageous if they have that other money just sitting around.

Implying that we all could do that when that just isn't realistic.

THAT is my issue with passing this off as courageous 

Your issue is a waste of a thought.

Back
Top Bottom