Dear Jermaine, please do not fall off before your debut drops! Sincerely, Hip Hop. Vol: Drake, Wiz

Drake_So_Far_Gone-front-large.jpg

wiz-flight-school.jpg

So who remembers when Drake couldn't be touched as he just blew up from all the internet "underground" fiends with the release of So Far Gone, this unique blend of hip hop, r&b, and anything else under the sun?  Or when dude's officially started to hop on Wiz crotch with this tape of his own.  Drake officially releases Best I Ever Had to the masses, Wiz Black & Yellow.  Soon enough, they basically become household names (or at least as close as its gonna get without being Lady Gaga or Bieber for music today).  It seems our man J Cole is up next.  Yeah he's blown up, but he hasn't hit that Drake status or got dudes from every city doing their rendition of B & Y. 

What if Drake would've never have "dumbed it down" joining Wayne at Cash Money and stayed independent?  Unfortunately, with the last couple singles, Wiz is reaching the inevitable too.  Is it just the standard of the music industry today?  Sell your soul for the fame or be a Lupe and don't get your album for 3 years. 

So what do you think?  Is he gonna follow the lead of his ancestors and be the next pop star?  We'll find out this year, that's for sure. 

Drake_So_Far_Gone-front-large.jpg

wiz-flight-school.jpg

So who remembers when Drake couldn't be touched as he just blew up from all the internet "underground" fiends with the release of So Far Gone, this unique blend of hip hop, r&b, and anything else under the sun?  Or when dude's officially started to hop on Wiz crotch with this tape of his own.  Drake officially releases Best I Ever Had to the masses, Wiz Black & Yellow.  Soon enough, they basically become household names (or at least as close as its gonna get without being Lady Gaga or Bieber for music today).  It seems our man J Cole is up next.  Yeah he's blown up, but he hasn't hit that Drake status or got dudes from every city doing their rendition of B & Y. 

What if Drake would've never have "dumbed it down" joining Wayne at Cash Money and stayed independent?  Unfortunately, with the last couple singles, Wiz is reaching the inevitable too.  Is it just the standard of the music industry today?  Sell your soul for the fame or be a Lupe and don't get your album for 3 years. 

So what do you think?  Is he gonna follow the lead of his ancestors and be the next pop star?  We'll find out this year, that's for sure. 

wow... you think Wiz Khalifa really dumbed down his music over the years?

If anything you can see his struggle for better lyrics in each mixtape he drops, but to be honest Wiz has never been lyrical. His stuff is all catchy and he has his moment where you go back and play the verse. His hooks are his selling points.

J. Cole on the other hand, his strengths are everywhere. His flo is superb and his lyrical content is through the roof which you can attribute to his incredible verses all the way to his catchy hooks. Plus, I hear dude can even produce.
eek.gif

If anything you can see his struggle for better lyrics in each mixtape he drops, but to be honest Wiz has never been lyrical. His stuff is all catchy and he has his moment where you go back and play the verse. His hooks are his selling points.

J. Cole on the other hand, his strengths are everywhere. His flo is superb and his lyrical content is through the roof which you can attribute to his incredible verses all the way to his catchy hooks. Plus, I hear dude can even produce.
eek.gif

Yeah J Cole is something else.. I don't think Wiz has fallen off "over the years" but just listening to the last couple leaks that have come out and Roll Up, I feel like he's gonna be a Nelly that smokes. Not that there's anything wrong with that if you're looking for good party music or whatnot. I just feel that he's gonna start to water his content down to be more appealing to everyone instead of just the "Taylor Gang" lol

Yeah J Cole is something else.. I don't think Wiz has fallen off "over the years" but just listening to the last couple leaks that have come out and Roll Up, I feel like he's gonna be a Nelly that smokes. Not that there's anything wrong with that if you're looking for good party music or whatnot. I just feel that he's gonna start to water his content down to be more appealing to everyone instead of just the "Taylor Gang" lol

Drake and Wiz haven't DUMBED ANYTHING down.
laugh.gif
Drake's quality of music got better on Thank Me Later IMO. Especially if you're comparing to where he was at on So Far Gone. So far Gone sounds more like a prequel to Thank Me Later. And this dude Wiz sounds the same.

Drake and Wiz haven't DUMBED ANYTHING down.
laugh.gif
Drake's quality of music got better on Thank Me Later IMO. Especially if you're comparing to where he was at on So Far Gone. So far Gone sounds more like a prequel to Thank Me Later. And this dude Wiz sounds the same.

J. Cole on the other hand, his strengths are everywhere. His flo issuperb and his lyrical content is through the roof which you canattribute to his incredible verses all the way to his catchy hooks.Plus, I hear dude can even produce.
eek.gif

J.Cole and catchy hooks in the same sentence
laugh.gif
...Drake has only gotten better at the overall quality of music hes put out...Like dude said Wiz was never lyrical and his hooks/beats are his selling point along with his pot dog image

J. Cole on the other hand, his strengths are everywhere. His flo issuperb and his lyrical content is through the roof which you canattribute to his incredible verses all the way to his catchy hooks.Plus, I hear dude can even produce.
eek.gif

J.Cole and catchy hooks in the same sentence
laugh.gif
...Drake has only gotten better at the overall quality of music hes put out...Like dude said Wiz was never lyrical and his hooks/beats are his selling point along with his pot dog image

Originally Posted by hassan16

eek.gif
Spoken like someone who's truly never heard either Prince of the City tapes.

I'm not one to say Wiz has dumbed it down by any means but to say his lyrics have gotten better with each tape just isn't true. The music? I'd agree with that, but he was coming with bars a few years ago and then he found something different/better and ran with it.

Originally Posted by hassan16

eek.gif
Spoken like someone who's truly never heard either Prince of the City tapes.

I'm not one to say Wiz has dumbed it down by any means but to say his lyrics have gotten better with each tape just isn't true. The music? I'd agree with that, but he was coming with bars a few years ago and then he found something different/better and ran with it.

funny, i was actually thinking about this today...
i gotta say that drake got more pop after so far gone, and i'm hoping that cole doesnt do the same

fnl is amazing, and if he continues with this style, his debut is gonna be fireee

im just hoping 
eyes.gif

funny, i was actually thinking about this today...
i gotta say that drake got more pop after so far gone, and i'm hoping that cole doesnt do the same

fnl is amazing, and if he continues with this style, his debut is gonna be fireee

im just hoping 
eyes.gif

Wiz was never a mastermind with songs...he made GOOD songs. this !@$% he's been putting out lately is TRASH.

Drake was also never a "mastermind", but the quality of his work went up with Thank Me Later...

Wiz was never a mastermind with songs...he made GOOD songs. this !@$% he's been putting out lately is TRASH.

Drake was also never a "mastermind", but the quality of his work went up with Thank Me Later...

Originally Posted by PJ and Bompton

I agree, i wouldn't really call TML his best quality work, but it's still good. So Far Gone had a lot more life to it in my opinion

Originally Posted by PJ and Bompton

I agree, i wouldn't really call TML his best quality work, but it's still good. So Far Gone had a lot more life to it in my opinion

Is J. Cole even in a position to fall off yet?  I really wouldn't consider him all the way "on".  

Is J. Cole even in a position to fall off yet?  I really wouldn't consider him all the way "on".  

Flight School
POTC 2
Star Power
Kush & OJ

Lyrics transitioning to Good music.

Back
Top Bottom