*| | Denim _ School | |*

There's a video going around of the head of Levi's saying he never washes his jeans. Now news shows are playing the vid and saying it's nasty. Dey don't know denim doh. They're not part of team raw.
I'm still tryna get my head around the fact that at APC stores they'll take your used jeans and resell them
There's definitely a market for used raws. In a sense, it's just like buying distressed denim from a store. Plus, it eliminates the work that people have to put in to get those fades; granted this somewhat defeats the purpose of raw denim because they are not contoured to your body specifically but people still don't care lol. 

Yup. Lots of people in this thread are not in the know
laugh.gif
What is raw?

I have a pair of rrl's that i've had for 2 years that have never been washed. Also a couple of pairs of gaps that i've worn hard. I don't sweat much so they don't smell except for spots where i've spilled some liquor/beer.

There's definitely a market for used raws. In a sense, it's just like buying distressed denim from a store. Plus, it eliminates the work that people have to put in to get those fades; granted this somewhat defeats the purpose of raw denim because they are not contoured to your body specifically but people still don't care lol. 

oh I get that, it's just the fact that somebody else wore em for months at a time

Just found out that I can wear "nice" denim in the office instead of wearing khakis every day.

Is uniqlo really that bad now? New one just opened up near me.

I have a pair of Gap selvedge and they are crap. Paper thin, a year later and barely any signs of fading.

Just hang your raws for a couple days let them chill after a hard wear and its all good to go

....In regards to washing denim: Interview with Kiya Babzani of Self Edge. 

Derek Guy:  Let’s start with the most popular piece of advice: that one should not wash their jeans for at least the first six months of them being worn. Is this true?

Kiya Babzani: To my knowledge, that’s something that was started by APC and/or Nudies. There are a couple of reasons why someone would recommend that you shouldn’t wash your jeans. First, people getting into raw selvedge denim are usually looking for a certain type of look – one that has high contrast fades with dramatically defined lines around the top of the lap and behind the knees. This kind of fading is difficult to achieve with denim that has been done to death, which is what most brands use.

Rest of interview: http://putthison.com/post/49940267405/should-i-really-wait-six-months-to-wash-my-jeans

I get all my denim dry cleaned if I feel they must be cleaned. Don't want to damage any of the denim and my dry cleaners always take extra care of my denim
the care card that came with my APC PNS said that dry cleaning for the first wash is acceptable.  i may do that, because i really don't want them to shrink.

Anyone heard of hawke&dumar? I got a pair on sale. Trying to see how they compare to other brands. Not many shops in my area carry high end denim

IMO, if you're spending more than $40 on a pair, you've already messed up. I've been guilty, but I try not to do it anymore.

Something tells me that's a generalized statement

NT mentality is spend $500 on $130 sneakers and pair them with Arizona Jeans

NTdenim

Last edited:
People will argue that the quality in a $40 item is comparable to one much more expensive, that might be true once in a while but you can definitely tell the difference most of the time. I used to wear old navy jeans in college and you could tell the material was cheap.

Agreed 100%

I remember when I thought it was crazy to spend $300 on PRPS when they dropped in 2003 and this dude I knew who worked at Ubiq gave me a sample pair for $100 and I instantly saw the quality difference

The difference in selvedge alone among different brands is crazy. My current Gaps are garbage compared to my old pair of PRPS

Something tells me that's a generalized statement

NT mentality is spend $500 on $130 sneakers and pair them with Arizona Jeans

NTdenim

I try to remember that this is a sneaker forum and people of all ages use it so you have all kinds of different mentalities, but most are only really gonna care about they're sneakers even if I think that overall style is more important, that's the nature of the website I guess. cuz that's the type of stuff I used to hear in high school, you really just don't know how much jeans very in fit/quality at that age unless your well off

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom