Does a rapper's inability to put on a good live show change your opinion of him?

Originally Posted by wildmoodswings

Jay and Nas are the weakest Hip-Hop performers I've seen live, and that sucks, considering they're two of my five favorite rappers. 

Kid Cudi, Cam'ron, and Q-Tip are some other rappers I've seen live, who were actually great.
roll.gif
roll.gif
 at Kid Cudi or Cam'ron being better live than Jay-Z.  GTFOHWTBS

Why do you guys become fans of an artist in the first place? Im pretty sure its because of their music so why do you put so much of your opinion into a 2-3hour show? Especially when you can listen to an album for the rest of your life. Somebody said their "actors" but how? Because their show sucked? What if their album was a classic tho? Does a show really take away from the actual record? If it does then your listening to music for the wrong reasons. A rapper can only do so much on a stage(walk back and forth and recite their lyrics). If fireworks and lasers is what makes the show good then I believe those artist are "actors" because their using gimmicks that take away from the actual performance. Now if we were talking about singers than I would agree because a concert displays their true talent but shows don't do that for rappers.

Why do you guys become fans of an artist in the first place? Im pretty sure its because of their music so why do you put so much of your opinion into a 2-3hour show? Especially when you can listen to an album for the rest of your life. Somebody said their "actors" but how? Because their show sucked? What if their album was a classic tho? Does a show really take away from the actual record? If it does then your listening to music for the wrong reasons. A rapper can only do so much on a stage(walk back and forth and recite their lyrics). If fireworks and lasers is what makes the show good then I believe those artist are "actors" because their using gimmicks that take away from the actual performance. Now if we were talking about singers than I would agree because a concert displays their true talent but shows don't do that for rappers.

Originally Posted by MzD650

Jay and Nas are the weakest Hip-Hop performers I've seen live, and that sucks, considering they're two of my five favorite rappers. 

Kid Cudi, Cam'ron, and Q-Tip are some other rappers I've seen live, who were actually great.
roll.gif
roll.gif

*sigh*

In the instances where I had seen them, yes, they were better. Not once did I state "Cam'ron puts on a better live show than Jay-Z." I even distinguished my experiences from what I've seen in a video, when I stated Nas did not forget his lyrics when I had the opportunity to see him live.

Originally Posted by MzD650

roll.gif
roll.gif

*sigh*

In the instances where I had seen them, yes, they were better. Not once did I state "Cam'ron puts on a better live show than Jay-Z." I even distinguished my experiences from what I've seen in a video, when I stated Nas did not forget his lyrics when I had the opportunity to see him live.

Very much so.

You can see exactly how much passion they have for their craft when you see an artist live.

A poor performance doesn't alter my opinion completely but it definitely has a heavy impact.

This question can go for any genre of music btw.

Very much so.

You can see exactly how much passion they have for their craft when you see an artist live.

A poor performance doesn't alter my opinion completely but it definitely has a heavy impact.

This question can go for any genre of music btw.

Originally Posted by carbon16

1- Yes, a show absolutely takes away from their music. 

2- Yes, there is only so much a rapper can do.  I am not talking about lasers and fireworks.  I am talking about actually sounding somewhat like they do on their albums.  I am talking about being able to do their verses without having to pause to take extra breaths.  You say that all they can do is walk back and forth and recite lyrics.  There is so much more to it than that.  Have you ever been to a hip hop show?  Not only is this an incredibly dumb claim, but what happens if the artist fails to recite their lyrics?

3- Why are rappers different than singers?  Are you saying that rapPING is not a rapPER'S true talent?  Saying live shows dont display a rappers true talent is another incredibly dumb claim.

2- Yes, there is only so much a rapper can do.  I am not talking about lasers and fireworks.  I am talking about actually sounding somewhat like they do on their albums.  I am talking about being able to do their verses without having to pause to take extra breaths.  You say that all they can do is walk back and forth and recite lyrics.  There is so much more to it than that.  Have you ever been to a hip hop show?  Not only is this an incredibly dumb claim, but what happens if the artist fails to recite their lyrics?

3- Why are rappers different than singers?  Are you saying that rapPING is not a rapPER'S true talent?  Saying live shows dont display a rappers true talent is another incredibly dumb claim.

Originally Posted by dland24

Have you actually recorded a song? Do you know how hard it is to perform a song live and sound the same way you do on a studio recorded song? The differences in mics can change everything along with the output from the speakers. You can't compare the studio quality of a rappers song to a performance because of course the studio quality is gonna sound way better like it's suppose to. The reason some artist have to pause and take extra breaths is because they recorded their verses in portions so it could sound the best for YOUR ears. I have been to a hiphop show and of course passion can be shown but there still isn't a whole lot that rappers can do. The craft of writing/creating lyrics is a rappers true talent bro, anybody can rap but the actual lyrics is where the talent is expressed. All im sayin is, your gonna listen to an album more than your gonna see the artist live so why allow the show to dictate your opinion of the artist especially if you initially think that the album(s) is great?

Originally Posted by dland24

Have you actually recorded a song? Do you know how hard it is to perform a song live and sound the same way you do on a studio recorded song? The differences in mics can change everything along with the output from the speakers. You can't compare the studio quality of a rappers song to a performance because of course the studio quality is gonna sound way better like it's suppose to. The reason some artist have to pause and take extra breaths is because they recorded their verses in portions so it could sound the best for YOUR ears. I have been to a hiphop show and of course passion can be shown but there still isn't a whole lot that rappers can do. The craft of writing/creating lyrics is a rappers true talent bro, anybody can rap but the actual lyrics is where the talent is expressed. All im sayin is, your gonna listen to an album more than your gonna see the artist live so why allow the show to dictate your opinion of the artist especially if you initially think that the album(s) is great?

Curren$y is boring as hell when he performs but I still check out his music from time to time. I think if you're a fan, it doesn't matter much really. Jay's shows aren't boring, but he has no stage presence whatsoever. The same with Nas. I saw David Banner live a few years back and he was one of the few rappers I seen jump into and really interact with the crowd.

Curren$y is boring as hell when he performs but I still check out his music from time to time. I think if you're a fan, it doesn't matter much really. Jay's shows aren't boring, but he has no stage presence whatsoever. The same with Nas. I saw David Banner live a few years back and he was one of the few rappers I seen jump into and really interact with the crowd.

If they can't do their verses without taking breaks, They failed. I don't care how many takes/punches it took to record it, they should be able to perform what they release.
This is truly the difference between an MC and somebody who writes rhymes.

Black Thought>>>Meth>>*

If they can't do their verses without taking breaks, They failed. I don't care how many takes/punches it took to record it, they should be able to perform what they release.
This is truly the difference between an MC and somebody who writes rhymes.

Black Thought>>>Meth>>*

Back
Top Bottom