Dressing Better Vol 2.0

You never want to go down a size because it will cause pulling.

My chest measures a hair bit more than 37" and I take 38 in all jackets that's not MTM.

The 36 looks good, man. Unbutton the bottom button though. If you want more traditional then go with half an inch break.
Yeah to clarify, I only meant that most people think they're a size bigger than they really are and that you should try a size smaller. Most people are surprised they can fit and that it actually looks good. 

Save yourself the trip, if there is one thing that CAN'T be adjust on a suit is the shoulders.
Yep, you can't tailor the shoulders. You can fix the sleeve length, jacket length, and take in the waist. Keep shopping around, and don't settle!

Forgive me. With all the things I tried on I thought I left the store with the 38. I just checked abd it's the 36. Tried it on again and its fine. I had just left work and had a long sleeve tee on underneath the button up when I tried them on. 16 hour shift, I was tired. :lol:

All I need to do now is cop some dress shoes.

Call the shoebank and see if they still have the Fifth Ave for $170. Also, DaBottom will need to go to the store to get sized. Its a lot of work for a pair of shoes but worth it.

Didnt know where to look so I guess I'll ask you guys. I'm looking for a nice pair of all black sneakers. Something that doesnt look cheap and will only be worn with jeans. Something along the lines of the Balenciaga Arenas, LV Damier print high tops, John Varvatos converses, etc. It must be in black though. I dont really care about the brand, as long as it doesn't look cheap.

Not willing to spend more than $500, but if there's nothing I like I'll just buy the Arenas.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Didnt know where to look so I guess I'll ask you guys. I'm looking for a nice pair of all black sneakers. Something that doesnt look cheap and will only be worn with jeans. Something along the lines of the Balenciaga Arenas, LV Damier print high tops, John Varvatos converses, etc. It must be in black though. I dont really care about the brand, as long as it doesn't look cheap.

Not willing to spend more than $500, but if there's nothing I like I'll just buy the Arenas.

Any ideas?
Heres a few pairs of common projects
http://www.mrporter.com/product/377901
https://www.ssense.com/men/product/common_projects/black-leather-vintage-high-top-sneakers/96717
https://www.ssense.com/men/product/common_projects/black-perforated-original-achilles-sneakers/96710

And a pair of Lanvins.
http://www.mrporter.com/product/440770

Thanks, the high top common projects were nice. Still looking, any help is appreciated.

Forgot to mention that they must be high tops.

Cole Haan cuts up to 50% off sale items as part of its Biannual Sale. (Prices are as marked.) Even better, take an extra 30% off via coupon code "COLLEGE". (Note the coupon is case sensitive.) Combined, that's tied with our mention from a week ago as the best discount we've seen on sale items at Cole Haan so far this year. (For further comparison, we saw up to 70% off combined with up to $100 off $400 or more in March.) Shipping adds $10.95, although orders or $150 or more qualify for free shipping. Some best bets, with prices after coupon:

www.colehaan.com

Not sure when it ends though

Last edited:
CIL
Cole Haan cuts up to 50% off sale items as part of its Biannual Sale. (Prices are as marked.) Even better, take an extra 30% off via coupon code "COLLEGE". (Note the coupon is case sensitive.) Combined, that's tied with our mention from a week ago as the best discount we've seen on sale items at Cole Haan so far this year. (For further comparison, we saw up to 70% off combined with up to $100 off $400 or more in March.) Shipping adds $10.95, although orders or $150 or more qualify for free shipping. Some best bets, with prices after coupon:

www.colehaan.com

Not sure when it ends though

COLLEGE doesn't work on sale items? Anyone else have luck ?

EDIT: I got the code to work by applying it to a regular priced item first ...then it applies to everything even after you remove that item

Last edited:

My chest measures a hair bit more than 37" and I take 38 in all jackets that's not MTM.

The 36 looks good, man. Unbutton the bottom button though. If you want more traditional then go with half an inch break.

This man is right. Never ever go down a size unless the fit warrants it. It's always better to have than no space at all. You'd be surprised what tailors can do these days.

Also, +1 on the half inch break. I had 1 inch breaks on all my trousers and now I have to get them all redone because I lost some weight and wanted a more modern look. Make sure when you shorten the sleeves, you get a clearance of a quarter inch as well. It's better to show some cuff than too much cuff. It'll look especially weird when your raise your arm you see half your sleeve :lol:

This man is right. Never ever go down a size unless the fit warrants it. It's always better to have than no space at all. You'd be surprised what tailors can do these days.

Also, +1 on the half inch break. I had 1 inch breaks on all my trousers and now I have to get them all redone because I lost some weight and wanted a more modern look. Make sure when you shorten the sleeves, you get a clearance of a quarter inch as well. It's better to show some cuff than too much cuff. It'll look especially weird when your raise your arm you see half your sleeve :lol:

I get what dude what originally saying, he just didn't word it properly. Most men tend to overestimate their size for whatever reason, whether it's a pride/ego thing or something and don't want to admit they're not as well-built as they "think" they are.

Also, I have a feeling if dabottom button was undone on dude's suit it would feel as snug plus low armholes are probably restricting movement.

belt and shirt both look 2-3 sizes too big

Probably so, according to a lot of people I've lost a good amount of weight and I've been too cheap (so far) to go out and buy new clothes.

Pants are too big too, that's why you've got the bunching along the waistband. Congrats on the weight loss, find a good tailor and a lot of it can be fixed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom