Dressing Better Vol 2.0

Best fit I've found. I had a pair of 514s but I didn't like the leg opening but the 508s' taper really made a difference. The only thing was that I had to size down to a 31 from my usual 32/33.

Last week I picked up the Cliftons and I scooped the Strands today. I only plan on keeping one, which should I keep? Both the same price BTW.

2j1kc50.jpg

2enw9x1.jpg
Both great shoes. However, they are completely different. 

Strand is a balmoral. Clifton is a derby. The difference is in how the shoes are laced. Balmorals are typically more formal, and derby more casual. So it really just depends what you are going to be using them for.

The Strand itself is kind of a weird shoe. It's a balmoral, which is very formal, but at the same time, it has a lot of brogueing (the perforated designs,) which is more of a less formal thing. Either way, the Strand is an iconic shoe, and outside of the Park Avenue, is the most popular AE shoe in their line. 

Personally, I would go with the Strand. Would look great in slacks/suit, and can be pulled off with jeans. I love derbys with jeans and chinos, but they look funny to me in dress pants. 

Strand > Clifton. 

The deets about strand being weird is exactly why I hate that shoe.

Confusing characteristics are confusing.

diewitsjames diewitsjames

The jacket seems to be a little big on you. It fits fine in the shoulder area, but from the shoulders down it seems a little big.

I would probably want to bring in the chest, shorten the sleeves a bit, and bring in the back. The jacket is def. "hanging" from those areas.

Also, it seems like your trouser may be a little big too. Pics of those?

EDIT: I just realized that 2 of the 3 alterations i've recommended would probably cost you a pretty penny if you went to a good tailor. I would suggest you maybe bring the suit back and get something more tailored and slimmer cut. Your shoulders are def wider than normal for your frame. I have the same issue.

Last edited:
@diewitsjames

The jacket seems to be a little big on you. It fits fine in the shoulder area, but from the shoulders down it seems a little big.

I would probably want to bring in the chest, shorten the sleeves a bit, and bring in the back. The jacket is def. "hanging" from those areas.

Also, it seems like your trouser may be a little big too. Pics of those?
my trousers are definitely big but im not too worried about that because those can easily be fixed
laugh.gif

thanks hank
smokin.gif

The jacket can be tailored a bit but it doesn't look too bad now though.

The sleeve length is fine to me. Some prefer no shirt sleeve to be shown at all while others want a quarter to a full inch. It's all personal pref.

You can take the width in a bit but don't over do it. The back looks a bit too full.

Jacket length does seem to cover your entire rear, which is more on the conservative side. Not sure how tall you are. I'm 5'10" and I prefer my jacket to cover half to 3/4 of my rear.

When asking for critique it's important to make sure the stance and clothes are draping properly. Not aiming at anyone but just saying. This stemmed from an outfit picture I took last week where it looked like my jacket was pulling. It was bugging my mind. I measured all of my jackets and the number should work. The right picture is of the same jacket taken yesterday with the jacket pulled to rid of unsightly wrinkles.

Last edited:
thanks wis, i tried my best to take pics but i don't have a camera stand (will get one though) so the pics came out a bit lopsided since i didnt know where to stand exactly

i'm 5'9 and this is a 34S from Jcrew so i thought it would be a good length or a bit short but the pics make it seem too look long
laugh.gif

will definitely tell the tailor to adjust the back and slightly take in the chest, should i also ask to trim the sleeve width as well? it feels comfortable but i'm not sure if it looks too roomy in there

Last edited:
I don't think you need to trim the sleeve width. I've never done this myself. I rock a 38S in the Ludlow so the length should be good for you.

Just have the tailor pin the sides a bit and you should be good.

I agree.

Invest in good food and exercising regularly easily outweighs any and all superlative clothing in the world.

You don't have to get brolic, but be in a healthy state. Clothes will fit better too.

Would love to hit the gym with you cats. I linked up with one of the dudes I know from this site back years ago last night to work out at the gym, the 2.5 hours flew by mad fast :lol: :pimp:

Just went to the tailor and he charged me $200.

Got the sleeves shortened, jacket brought in from the back center and sides, sleeves tapered. Got my trousers waist brought in, hemmed and tapered. Something tell me that I'm paying way too much for this.

Any thoughts? Does anyone know a tailor in the NYC that does good work and won't charge an arm and a leg for this stuff?

Last edited:
That's way too damn much. That should have been closer to $100, maybe $120 on the high end.

Last edited:
damm i really like suitsupply's Navy Napoli suits, but seems like you can't order different sized pants. Can a pair of pants be let out? If so by how much? :frown:

What do you guys think of br's monogram suits?

Just went to the tailor and he charged me $200.

Got the sleeves shortened, jacket brought in from the back center and sides, sleeves tapered. Got my trousers waist brought in, hemmed and tapered. Something tell me that I'm paying way too much for this.

Any thoughts? Does anyone know a tailor in the NYC that does good work and won't charge an arm and a leg for this stuff?
It's not bad like others have stated.

Sleeves shortened = $30-40.
Compressing jacket = $50
Sleeves tapered = $?

Trousers waist taken in = $20
Hem = $15
Tapered = $40-70 (depending on if you just tapered the legs or actually worked with the rear and crotch too).

These are the prices my tailor charges. She does top notch work so I don't mind paying a bit more than the average.

Back
Top Bottom