Dressing Better Vol 2.0

If you think peacoats can ever be "played" this is probably not the thread for you. I'll have a peacoat in my closet now at age 23, and i'll have one when i'm an old man.
yea buddy, this thread is not for me...... you run the show around here?..clown

peacoats are wack, outdated and unoriginal and so are your selvedge denims looking like everyone else, but thats just my take on it..

JCREW $255
87195_WB2192_m

UNIQLO $99
069528_sub2.jpg

which one do you guys prefer? the both look great. jcrew one seems to have a slightly more narrow cut around the waist which looks great but uniqlo fit still looks solid and its only $100 cash. leaning uniqlo, jsut thought i'd see what opinions i'd get...
:nerd:

I tried the J.Crew last year and found it be really boxy. J.Crew is notorious for pinning excess fabrics on the models to create a slim silhouette.

J crew looks better, but if you need to save that might not be the best.  Target peacoats arent bad either.

I got a Spiewak one a few years back and it still standing strong.

Kind of looks like this:

You can never go wrong with a peacoat, they are timeless. I think throwing in a bomber jacket or a nice tweed blazer with layers is my style. Everyone has a different feel. The thing about winter coats is this. You only have 3-4 months, if that, to wear them. I could not see myself spending a ton of cash on a trendy winter coat. But I won't count your $ for you.

Last edited:
You can never go wrong with a peacoat, they are timeless. I think throwing in a bomber jacket or a nice tweed blazer with layers is my style. Everyone has a different feel. The thing about winter coats is this. You only have 3-4 months, if that, to wear them. I could not see myself spending a ton of cash on a trendy winter coat. But I won't count your $ for you.
G gets it. This thread is about building a timeless wardrobe. Not about wearing some bright sneakers and 'street wear' t shirts.

I also want to get some feedback and opinions from my gents in here.
In regards to the brands you buy, do you really care about the name of the brand itself? As some may know, I plan on launching my own clothing company sooner or later. No screen printed t shirts or anything of that nature. Line will be traditional men's wear with my own twist...I'm sure a lot in the thread will like. If the items are priced aggressively to your favorite mall brands, would you guys consider buying? I don't plan on becoming a large scale manufacturer, and just keep productions in small batches. The idea actually came up several years ago and never really went away. I would appreciate the feedback!

I've found that most of the time, as long as an article of clothing gets the desired effect, then the name on the tag doesn't matter. Name brands do affect my purchases to an extent, but if I see something that I know I can fit into my wardrobe, I'm buying it regardless.

Good luck with your venture! I am excited to see what you come up with (hopefully sooner rather than later :tongue:).

cosigning all of this. i used to be into brands, but now, since the discovery of uniqlo, i realized you can achieve the save visual aesthetic, without the logo. since then, fcks haven't been given. i recently read a style guide on primer.com on how to look clean via shopping at Target. mind blown...

If you think peacoats can ever be "played" this is probably not the thread for you. I'll have a peacoat in my closet now at age 23, and i'll have one when i'm an old man.

yea buddy, this thread is not for me...... you run the show around here?..clown

peacoats are wack, outdated and unoriginal and so are your selvedge denims looking like everyone else, but thats just my take on it..

jlaw-okay.gif
talk to ninjahood for style advice.

all of this. you can never go wrong with a peacoat, especially one that fits great. every man should have one. through the miracle of global warming, the cold temps are taking longer to arrive (at least in NYC). and its only freezing from like late nov to ...idk march? i layer nowadays i don't have any heavy insulated coat in my closet. i still have my triclimate north face cuz some days i don't want to use an umbrella lol.

i currently have a peacoat from kenneth cole reaction i got off my boy for cheap. i plan to donate it along with other clothes (including some kicks) to victims in staten island, hence why im searching for a new one.

ideas for good work shoes (not sneakers)?
I usually wear some cole haan air jackson 2's that i got for cheap from nordstrom, but I walk alot at work and they look beat up.

Just received my tracking info for my TOJ/John Coppidge Murdered out varsity.

Just in time for my BDay on the 16th.

Last edited:
Just received my tracking info for my TOJ/John Coppidge Murdered out varsity.
Just in time for my BDay on the 16th.

Sizing info, please. Would love to order one before the price increase and the switch to John Coppidge.

Also, fit pics are necessary.

Speaking of trainers. I found these Burberry trainers this week @ the outlet for $99. I love a deal.

They remind me of MMM's.

Sizing info, please. Would love to order one before the price increase and the switch to John Coppidge.
Also, fit pics are necessary.

LOL, Ok I got ya.

I went with Charly's recommendation. Stock 54.

Will post pics when it gets here.

Good thing is that Drew mentioned they are back to a 2 month lead time.

Bad thing is that there will be another cutoff for the switch.

Would you suggest sizing up or is the sizing table spot on?

Dont take my word now. Wait till I actually get it. Then I would make my suggestion.

I will say that the word on the street is to size up on the raglan sleeve. I went back and fourth with Charly and he told me its best to size up on the raglan sleeve.

I will update you on the day it arrives. Cant wait.

I also want to get some feedback and opinions from my gents in here.
In regards to the brands you buy, do you really care about the name of the brand itself? As some may know, I plan on launching my own clothing company sooner or later. No screen printed t shirts or anything of that nature. Line will be traditional men's wear with my own twist...I'm sure a lot in the thread will like. If the items are priced aggressively to your favorite mall brands, would you guys consider buying? I don't plan on becoming a large scale manufacturer, and just keep productions in small batches. The idea actually came up several years ago and never really went away. I would appreciate the feedback!

Do you have experience in working in the retail industry? And by retail, I mean the wholesale side of the business, whether it be for a brand or retailer? It's one thing to assess the cost of production but marketing and geting buyers to buy your goods would be another. I am sure you've already accounted for all these costs in setting up a brand outside of what you want to create. Traditional menswear is very difficult, especially for ecommerce.

I can't speak for anyone else who works in the industry but I can't tell you how many times myself (I'm not a buyer) or my buying counterparts have said no to brands time and time again whether it be in person, mailers or emails. And I can't tell how jaded the term 'menswear with my own twist' sounds. It's tossed around so much that it's so weightless.

In no means am I trying to be demeaning or showing some type of negative tact, but just be sure that at the end of the day, you should be making money. I don't post much here but frequently browse this thread b/c it's interesting. I see a lot of bad mouthing on styles when in actuality, these are the styles/trends that sell best. It's the 80/20 rule: 20% of your inventory does 80% of your business, the rest falls by the waistside.

My best advice would be to go to a tradeshow like Magic or Project/Pool (Project would be your best bet) and see how many damn lines are out there trying to get off the ground or are doing the exact same thing you want to pursue. Good luck with your venture.

Do you have experience in working in the retail industry? And by retail, I mean the wholesale side of the business, whether it be for a brand or retailer? It's one thing to assess the cost of production but marketing and geting buyers to buy your goods would be another. I am sure you've already accounted for all these costs in setting up a brand outside of what you want to create. Traditional menswear is very difficult, especially for ecommerce.
I can't speak for anyone else who works in the industry but I can't tell you how many times myself (I'm not a buyer) or my buying counterparts have said no to brands time and time again whether it be in person, mailers or emails. And I can't tell how jaded the term 'menswear with my own twist' sounds. It's tossed around so much that it's so weightless.
In no means am I trying to be demeaning or showing some type of negative tact, but just be sure that at the end of the day, you should be making money. I don't post much here but frequently browse this thread b/c it's interesting. I see a lot of bad mouthing on styles when in actuality, these are the styles/trends that sell best. It's the 80/20 rule: 20% of your inventory does 80% of your business, the rest falls by the waistside.
My best advice would be to go to a tradeshow like Magic or Project/Pool (Project would be your best bet) and see how many damn lines are out there trying to get off the ground or are doing the exact same thing you want to pursue. Good luck with your venture.
It will most likely be e-commerce. I appreciate your 2 cents. It will be done on a side at first. I thought about this many times, and I know it is an uphill battle. Even if I fail, I know I will still learn a lot. I try to forget about it because I can make a comfy living of $150k+ working the typical 40-50 hours a week as is. But I want to pursue, if not for anything else (assuming the brand fails)...just for my own enjoyment and learning.

There are a couple of folks in the scene with their own brands that I learn from, but of course they will only tell me so much. I will post more when time permits. Train of thought is not at 100% while at work.

I also know the 20/80 rule. Funny that this rule has so many different intepretations.

Last edited:
JCREW $255

which one do you guys prefer? the both look great. jcrew one seems to have a slightly more narrow cut around the waist which looks great but uniqlo fit still looks solid and its only $100 cash. leaning uniqlo, jsut thought i'd see what opinions i'd get...

I bought that same Bayswater coat last yr with the thinsulate inside....coat is awesome imo I'd definitely say its worth the money.....you'll have it for years and I like how it has a bit of a taper to it like a suit jacket so its not billowy like most coats...even in pittsburgh winters I could rock just a short sleeved shirt underneath and be pretty damn warm :smokin (if you can I'd go to the store when they're having a sale and using a student id if you have it, got mine for ~200 that way)

On another note though, what's your guys thoughts on bubble vests, not the overly puffy ones but the thinner ones to wear over a thermal shirt or somethin for layering? Any affordable ones sub 50$? :nerd:

Last edited:
UNIQLO $99
069528_sub2.jpg

Buttons are too small. That's my one gripe when it comes to pea coats. Might look good shape/material wise but when the buttons are too small it throws everything off.

Got this NSW Destroyer pea coat as a gift from Nike last year. Had my Ty logo done up in chenille and slapped it on.
2hfid0y.png

2naoc2r.png

Back
Top Bottom