Dressing Better Vol 2.0

S.N.S. HERNING

How thick are these? Looking at copping a Stark.

I love this one not sure what it is though.

Last edited:
S.N.S. HERNING
How thick are these? Looking at copping a Stark.
I love this one not sure what it is though.
That one is a chunky knit, it's pretty thick...not sure the weigh, but at least a couple of lbs.

It looks like a new model to me, at least the weaving. The silhouette looks like the one I got last year. The Stark is probably the most common and trademark model..it's thick, but not as thick as the sweater you pictured. PS you may want to visit the SNS Herning thread at SF as I think the fit changed for this year and is no longer a loose fit.

what kind of tie brands do you guys recommend or think highly of?
First brand that comes to mind is Drake's of London.

The traditional brands are too wide for me though, at about 3.5". I prefer the more modern width of 2.5" to accommodate my suits accordingly.

I'm not sure how old or new this picture is. It looks like it could've been taken yesterday or 30 years ago. Regardless, I dig the style.
tumblr_m35hfeuh6v1qca2voo1_500.jpg

That one is a chunky knit, it's pretty thick...not sure the weigh, but at least a couple of lbs.
It looks like a new model to me, at least the weaving. The silhouette looks like the one I got last year. The Stark is probably the most common and trademark model..it's thick, but not as thick as the sweater you pictured. PS you may want to visit the SNS Herning thread at SF as I think the fit changed for this year and is no longer a loose fit.

The reason I am interested. My father love these. Now that they are no longer loose fit intrigues me. Yeah, SF is where I pulled that pic. After seeing the fit pic on TBS, I'm not too interested.

How do I know which are the new fit.

Here is one I like.

I am liking these Nikes as well. I need to see how they look in a 12/13

Last edited:
Fit is nice, That sweater too loose.
It's a chunky knit, dude. They aren't suppose to be tight.

Also, chunky knits stretch to accommodate your body over time.

RE: SNS Herning fitment. The picture you posted is a loosely fit, from last year and years prior. That's how my 2 Starks fit, obtained last year and the year before that. The new ones are suppose to be much more fitted that folks are sizing up to get a fit like the before years. I have no interest in obtaining another SNS Herning so I can't speak from a first hand experience though.

It's a chunky knit, dude. They aren't suppose to be tight.
Also, chunky knits stretch to accommodate your body over time.
RE: SNS Herning fitment. The picture you posted is a loosely fit, from last year and years prior. That's how my 2 Starks fit, obtained last year and the year before that. The new ones are suppose to be much more fitted that folks are sizing up to get a fit like the before years. I have no interest in obtaining another SNS Herning so I can't speak from a first hand experience though.

Sorry, for my stupidity. Being in Houston sweaters are not my expertise.

I hope I did not offend you. Apologies.

Last edited:
^Haha, no need to apologize, man. It's all good. I'm not sure how cold it gets in H-town, but a lighter sweater may work.

I live in SoCal and the coldest it gets is around 50 degrees Fahrenheit and I still layer up. I get cold easily though, haha.

^Haha, no need to apologize, man. It's all good. I'm not sure how cold it gets in H-town, but a lighter sweater may work.

I live in SoCal and the coldest it gets is around 50 degrees Fahrenheit and I still layer up. I get cold easily though, haha.

Damn you layer up in 50 degree weather? That's crazy.. you got that reptilian blood lol

I'm gonna be an environment at school next year where I'll have to dress in business casual and/or formal business attire 2-3 times a week.

I'm 20 years old and I haven't really had to dress up that often a week. I have about a $750 budget to start off. I've made a list of the things I want so far but does anybody have recommendations in regards to how I can mix & match my items throughout the course of a semester? (About 3 1/2 - 4 months)

Also, does anyone have suggestions on what items I should buy?

So far, I just know in general what I want. (Blazers, ties, bow ties, chino's, and I need shoe recommendations.)

I'm gonna be an environment at school next year where I'll have to dress in business casual and/or formal business attire 2-3 times a week.
I'm 20 years old and I haven't really had to dress up that often a week. I have about a $750 budget to start off. I've made a list of the things I want so far but does anybody have recommendations in regards to how I can mix & match my items throughout the course of a semester? (About 3 1/2 - 4 months)
So far, I just know in general what I want. (Blazers, ties, bow ties, chino's, and I need shoe recommendations.)

Like I said earlier, i think thetiebar.com will be the best place for ties.

Damn you layer up in 50 degree weather? That's crazy.. you got that reptilian blood lol
Yeah, man...I get cold really easily. With it being 50 degrees Fahrenheit, you'll probably catch me in a collar shirt, layering cardigan/sweater and a jacket :lol: And gloves and scarf. If not at work, maybe a beanie or a wool cap too :lol:

I have no idea how I would survive in say, Boston.

Like NEWMJ said, SoCal is the coldest place I've lived. Prior to this, I lived in South East Asia where humidity reigns. You can wear a t shirt and shorts 365 days a year, even during Monsoon season.

EDIT: Every time I see a parked food truck, I keep hoping it would be yours so I can go say what's up :lol: Alas, no luck so far.

Last edited:
$750 is your budget for everything you listed? I'm not trying to sound sarcastic in case if you're thinking that, just want to clarify.

$750 is your budget for everything you listed? I'm not trying to sound sarcastic in case if you're thinking that, just want to clarify.

Unfortunately, yes. :lol: :smh:

Again, this is just to start me off. I'll keep adding more money as the weeks go on. But that is where my budget stands as of right now.

Last edited:
Again, this is just to start me off. I'll keep adding more money as the weeks go on. But that is where my budget stands as of right now.
OK, one more question. Do you plan on going out and buying everything in 1 day or slowly gather the pieces over time?

750 should be enough to get you a suit( 300 ish), a blazer(100 ish), 2-3 pairs of slacks, 2 pairs of shoes and some shirts. Granted, your probably going to have to look around for deals for the shirts and shoes

750 should be enough to get you a suit( 300 ish), a blazer(100 ish), 2-3 pairs of slacks, 2 pairs of shoes and some shirts. Granted, your probably going to have to look around for deals for the shirts and shoes
Definitely. You young dudes are way ahead of the curve. When I was 20 in undergrad, I thought I was cool in my SB Dunks and The 100s t shirts. I did not even own a suit until I was in grad school and had professional job.

I would definitely buy the cheaper stuff. You're in undergrad, your body may change and/or you may get beer, food, etc. spilled onto the clothes. Fast fashion brands like H&M and Uniqlo should be your best friend.

For a suit, I would go with a navy or gray (either light or dark would be fine). The colors are versatile and you can wear the pieces as separates. If you want another pair of dress trousers, go with the color you didn't get the suit in, so if you got a navy suit, get grey trousers and vice versa. I think you can get a full suit from H&M for around $150 or less. I bought a blazer from them before at around $70, and dress trousers for around $40 or so. Granted this was maybe 4 years ago, but prices shouldn't have jumped severely.

For shirts, white and light blue are staples. If you want a pattern, go with a simple blue stripe or gingham.

For shoes, go with something cheap for now. Those boots Serg and others posted from JC Penney look great. I would also get a pair of desert boots, you can wear them with suits. 2 pairs would be ample at this point for you.

Everything I talked about so far should be under the $750 line which gives you a little leftover to buy a couple of belts and ties. You can get belts and ties from Macy's, and utilize the coupons that are always available.

Just make sure the stuff you buy fits you properly, that's the key. And wear with confidence, my young friend. :smile:

EDIT: As you get more money in, if you want to continue building your wardrobe, I would consider several things:

1. finer footwear. Get shoes that are Goodyear Welt like Allen Edmonds, which can be bought on sale. Assuming you do not gain a lot of weight forcing your feet to get bigger, you can wear them for a decade easily with several repairs. Goodyear Welt allows for the shoe repair shop to change the sole as they wear out. This can be done 5-7 times until the shoes 'die' completely. You will need to do this about 1 year max, assuming you walk crazy distance in them.

2. adding more shirts to your collection. I wouldn't go above J. Crew's level at your stage.

3. get some knitwear ie cardigan and sweater to wear in lieu of a jacket.

4. save some money and enjoy, man. It's college....suppose to be an enjoyable time. Use your money to go out on dates and hang out with friends. You don't get winter and summer breaks anymore in the real world, just 2 weeks off a year. :frown: :smile:

Last edited:
Which vest do you guys think is best? Im undecided.
This is reversible which is a tan color, and seems to be good for when it rains or moisture in general.

And this one is just simple, but its a soft material almost like suede. So I'm not sure how this will stand up to moisture.
It is thinner but not reversible.

Last edited:
Definitely. You young dudes are way ahead of the curve. When I was 20 in undergrad, I thought I was cool in my SB Dunks and The 100s t shirts. I did not even own a suit until I was in grad school and had professional job.
I would definitely buy the cheaper stuff. You're in undergrad, your body may change and/or you may get beer, food, etc. spilled onto the clothes. Fast fashion brands like H&M and Uniqlo should be your best friend.

Repped. It's going to be quite a transition going from a t-shirt and jeans everyday to more business casual type stuff.

For a suit, I would go with a navy or gray (either light or dark would be fine). The colors are versatile and you can wear the pieces as separates. If you want another pair of dress trousers, go with the color you didn't get the suit in, so if you got a navy suit, get grey trousers and vice versa. I think you can get a full suit from H&M for around $150 or less. I bought a blazer from them before at around $70, and dress trousers for around $40 or so. Granted this was maybe 4 years ago, but prices shouldn't have jumped severely.
For shirts, white and light blue are staples. If you want a pattern, go with a simple blue stripe or gingham.
For shoes, go with something cheap for now. Those boots Serg and others posted from JC Penney look great. I would also get a pair of desert boots, you can wear them with suits. 2 pairs would be ample at this point for you.
Everything I talked about so far should be under the $750 line which gives you a little leftover to buy a couple of belts and ties. You can get belts and ties from Macy's, and utilize the coupons that are always available.
Just make sure the stuff you buy fits you properly, that's the key. And wear with confidence, my young friend. :smile:
EDIT: As you get more money in, if you want to continue building your wardrobe, I would consider several things:
1. finer footwear. Get shoes that are Goodyear Welt like Allen Edmonds, which can be bought on sale. Assuming you do not gain a lot of weight forcing your feet to get bigger, you can wear them for a decade easily with several repairs. Goodyear Welt allows for the shoe repair shop to change the sole as they wear out. This can be done 5-7 times until the shoes 'die' completely. You will need to do this about 1 year max, assuming you walk crazy distance in them.
2. adding more shirts to your collection. I wouldn't go above J. Crew's level at your stage.
3. get some knitwear ie cardigan and sweater to wear in lieu of a jacket.
4. save some money and enjoy, man. It's college....suppose to be an enjoyable time. Use your money to go out on dates and hang out with friends. You don't get winter and summer breaks anymore in the real world, just 2 weeks off a year. :frown: :smile:

youre not lyin. I thought when I got a suit for $200 from Zara, that was cheap. Hm is ridiculous. I have no idea of the quality but Im super intrigued about dropping 110 for a suit.

But yea, black friday is coming up so Im sure Macys will have crazy deals on the shoe section and shirts etc.

Repped. It's going to be quite a transition going from a t-shirt and jeans everyday to more business casual type stuff.

you'll get used to it though. I remember when I was a freshman and we had to wwear suits to class, meetings etc, I thought it would be weird. but the change of pace was welcome. Plus its always a talking point with girls, why youre wearing a suit when everyone else is in pajama bottoms

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom