Dressing Better Vol 2.0

easy answer to all suiting questions is suitsupply.. 

assuming they are still offering free shipping and returns. 

suits should just fit 99% perfect off the rack. and you will know when a suit fits properly. relying on a tailor is needlessly expensive and risky. don't trust tailors.

Wut...

this is 100% true. you go to the tailor only to get the nips and tucks. you can't buy a suit in your size and then just think i'm going to get a tailor to shorten the sleeves by a full inch and so on. unless you have tons of money, the tailor you're going to isn't going to be 100% reliable 

edit: 

unless you have an extremely unique physique i guess. for example i'm shorter than 36s and thin. but i have like four suits that fit perfectly (had to get them for job before i moved to san jose, where no one wears suits). never took them to the tailor. 

Last edited:
[h1]  [/h1][h1]Wearing a Suit Makes People Think Differently[/h1]
Formalwear elicits feelings of power, which change some mental processes.

lead_960.jpg

Aly Song / Reuters

JOE PINSKER

Some psychology research in recent years is making an old aphorism look like an incomplete thought:

Clothes make the man… Yes? Go on?

Clothes, it appears, make the man perceive the world differently.

new study looks specifically at how formal attire changes people's thought processes. “Putting on formal clothes makes us feel powerful, and that changes the basic way we see the world,” says Abraham Rutchick, an author of the study and a professor of psychology at California State University, Northridge. Rutchick and his co-authors found that wearing clothing that’s more formal than usual makes people think more broadly and holistically, rather than narrowly and about fine-grained details. In psychological parlance, wearing a suit encourages people to use abstract processing more readily than concrete processing.

Research on the effects of clothing on cognition remains in its early stages. Another similar study  showed that when subjects wore a white coat that they believed belonged to a doctor, they became more attentive, an effect that didn’t hold when they believed the garment was a painter’s. But clothing’s psychological effects have been specified for only a couple of the ways the brain makes sense of stimuli.

That said, at work, when some have to wear suits, there are some specific implications when attire flicks on abstract processing. “If you get a stinging piece of critical feedback at work, if you think about it with a concrete processing style, it's more likely to negatively impact your self-esteem,” says Michael Slepian, another one of the paper’s authors and a professor of management at Columbia Business School. Slepian added that thinking about money with an abstract processing style might lead one to skip impulsive purchases in favor of smarter, long-term savings behaviors.

The researchers arrived at their finding after a series of experiments. The first two had student participants show up without any sartorial instructions, rate the formality of the outfit they happened to be wearing, and then take some tried-and-true cognitive tests to determine their processing styles. In these tests, self-rated formality correlated with the favoring of abstract processing. But since, in the words of the researchers, “the students on this campus tend to dress casually,” explicit instructions to come to the lab with formalwear were required to get students to not show up with sweatpants alone. When subjects who changed into “clothing you would wear in a job interview” took similar cognitive tests, they demonstrated more abstract processing than the group that sported “clothing you would wear to class.” That was a result that allowed the researchers to arrive at a causal link.

Does the effect Rutchick, Slepian, and their colleagues found matter just as much for everyday suit-wearers as more sporadic ones? “No matter how often you wear formal clothing, if you are wearing formal clothing, then you are likely in a context that's not the intimate, comfortable, and more socially close setting with no dress code,” says Slepian. “Thus, whether you wear formal clothing every workday, or only every wedding, my prediction is that we would find a similar influence because the clothing still feels formal in both situations.”

As casual attire becomes the norm in a growing number of workplaces, it would seem that the symbolic power of the suit will erode in coming years. Slepian thinks the opposite. “You could even predict the effect could get stronger if formal clothing is only reserved for the most formal of situations,” he says. “It takes a long time for symbols and our agreed interpretations of those symbols to change, and I wouldn't expect the suit as a symbol of power to be leaving us anytime soon.” Meanwhile, no formal research exists—just anecdotal observations—on how the world appears different when wearing a black turtleneck and jeans.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business...a-suit-makes-people-think-differently/391802/
  •  
  •  APR 30, 2015
  •  

thought this was interesting...as someone who can get away with jeans and a t shirt at work, wearing a suit does make me feel a bit different, but also attracts unnecessary attention because people know that i had an interview that day (not that i received any offers so far) 
laugh.gif

ohwell.gif

Last edited:

[h1]  [/h1][h1]Wearing a Suit Makes People Think Differently[/h1]
Formalwear elicits feelings of power, which change some mental processes.

lead_960.jpg

Aly Song / Reuters

JOE PINSKER

Some psychology research in recent years is making an old aphorism look like an incomplete thought:

Clothes make the man… Yes? Go on?

Clothes, it appears, make the man perceive the world differently.

new study looks specifically at how formal attire changes people's thought processes. “Putting on formal clothes makes us feel powerful, and that changes the basic way we see the world,” says Abraham Rutchick, an author of the study and a professor of psychology at California State University, Northridge. Rutchick and his co-authors found that wearing clothing that’s more formal than usual makes people think more broadly and holistically, rather than narrowly and about fine-grained details. In psychological parlance, wearing a suit encourages people to use abstract processing more readily than concrete processing.

Research on the effects of clothing on cognition remains in its early stages. Another similar study  showed that when subjects wore a white coat that they believed belonged to a doctor, they became more attentive, an effect that didn’t hold when they believed the garment was a painter’s. But clothing’s psychological effects have been specified for only a couple of the ways the brain makes sense of stimuli.

That said, at work, when some have to wear suits, there are some specific implications when attire flicks on abstract processing. “If you get a stinging piece of critical feedback at work, if you think about it with a concrete processing style, it's more likely to negatively impact your self-esteem,” says Michael Slepian, another one of the paper’s authors and a professor of management at Columbia Business School. Slepian added that thinking about money with an abstract processing style might lead one to skip impulsive purchases in favor of smarter, long-term savings behaviors.

The researchers arrived at their finding after a series of experiments. The first two had student participants show up without any sartorial instructions, rate the formality of the outfit they happened to be wearing, and then take some tried-and-true cognitive tests to determine their processing styles. In these tests, self-rated formality correlated with the favoring of abstract processing. But since, in the words of the researchers, “the students on this campus tend to dress casually,” explicit instructions to come to the lab with formalwear were required to get students to not show up with sweatpants alone. When subjects who changed into “clothing you would wear in a job interview” took similar cognitive tests, they demonstrated more abstract processing than the group that sported “clothing you would wear to class.” That was a result that allowed the researchers to arrive at a causal link.

Does the effect Rutchick, Slepian, and their colleagues found matter just as much for everyday suit-wearers as more sporadic ones? “No matter how often you wear formal clothing, if you are wearing formal clothing, then you are likely in a context that's not the intimate, comfortable, and more socially close setting with no dress code,” says Slepian. “Thus, whether you wear formal clothing every workday, or only every wedding, my prediction is that we would find a similar influence because the clothing still feels formal in both situations.”

As casual attire becomes the norm in a growing number of workplaces, it would seem that the symbolic power of the suit will erode in coming years. Slepian thinks the opposite. “You could even predict the effect could get stronger if formal clothing is only reserved for the most formal of situations,” he says. “It takes a long time for symbols and our agreed interpretations of those symbols to change, and I wouldn't expect the suit as a symbol of power to be leaving us anytime soon.” Meanwhile, no formal research exists—just anecdotal observations—on how the world appears different when wearing a black turtleneck and jeans.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business...a-suit-makes-people-think-differently/391802/
  •  
  •  APR 30, 2015
  •  

thought this was interesting...as someone who can get away with jeans and a t shirt at work, wearing a suit does make me feel a bit different, but also attracts unnecessary attention because people know that i had an interview that day (not that i received any offers so far) 
laugh.gif

ohwell.gif

do people ever wear ties anymore? outside of banking/finance/legal... i have a stupid expensive sam hober navy grenandine tie and two hermes ties. i've worn them zero times. 

I only wear ties/suits to weddings and interviews. No one in Cali wears suits to work unless they're lawyers or have a big client meeting.

I always think about buying more, but I've only needed to wear a suit three times in the past 4 years :lol: Probably will buy more in a few years once some of my friends start getting married.

Last edited:
I only wear ties/suits to weddings and interviews. No one in Cali wears suits to work unless they're lawyers or have a big client meeting.

I always think about buying more, but I've only needed to wear a suit three times in the past 4 years
laugh.gif
Probably will buy more in a few years once some of my friends start getting married.
yeah, even law firms it's like slacks and a solid color button down at most (unless there's an important meeting or some crap). but never ties. people give zero ***** how they dress in san jose i feel

this is 100% true. you go to the tailor only to get the nips and tucks. you can't buy a suit in your size and then just think i'm going to get a tailor to shorten the sleeves by a full inch and so on. unless you have tons of money, the tailor you're going to isn't going to be 100% reliable 

edit: 

unless you have an extremely unique physique i guess. for example i'm shorter than 36s and thin. but i have like four suits that fit perfectly (had to get them for job before i moved to san jose, where no one wears suits). never took them to the tailor. 
Really like how you based all your 100% true statements on your own singular experience. Well done.

Well he's kind of right in a sense. The "ideal" situation would be to get a suit that fits well off the rack and then have small changes. In my opinion this is because a suit is made to "wear" a certain way. Each nip and tuck changes the way the suit moves and fits the body. And to his second statement, that is why guys who are super tall or who have muscular builds are told to go custom. Not trying to cause issue, but I agree with his statement to a degree.

Last edited:
That sucks, hopefully they will make it up to you, instead of just refunding.

Less than a month I would say.

They're sending me a return shipping label and a pair of regular strands since they can't locate a pair of the Brooks version. Not bad.

Hey guys I was interested in purchasing these right here and was wondering if anyone owns a pair or knows a comparable fit. I am a rookie to the extreme with this. Just finished paying off my car and looking to redo my wardrobe now

Does anyone have any idea of how that fits. For reference I'm a 9.5 in Jordan's and 10 in nikes but I can fit a half size down on both for a perfect fit. I also have AE Daltons in a 10D but I feel I could fully size down and still fit, maybe a little tight but I think once broken in it'll be good. Sorry for the long paragraph but I just want to be as detailed as possible. Also does anyone know how long it takes for meermin to deliver? I'm Going out of town soon might just have em ship to that address

Last edited:
Since we're on the topic regarding entry-level shoes, any suggestions for shoe shining kits, etc.

I've searched the thread and some suggestions that I've seen pop up are AE's polish and Kiwi select shoe polish. Any other suggestions / feedback / reviews? Thanks

PS: Congrats to TyperRpinoy!

Bick4 or Lexol for Conditioner, AE polish is pretty good.

Thanks Serge, repped as well.[/quote]

Anymore suggestions? Thanks

I always think about buying more, but I've only needed to wear a suit three times in the past 4 years :lol: Probably will buy more in a few years once some of my friends start getting married.

As a wedding photographer I used to always dress up in my suits, as time passes though I've been dressing a lot more casual, truth is a suit no matter what can be a bit restrictive when shooting, as a guest is probably still dress up in a suit and tie, working a wedding though I gave that up, I just throw on a nice button down, some pants and depending on the weather a pair of loafers.

Suits do make you feel somewhat empowered.

Thanks Serge, repped as well.

Anymore suggestions? Thanks[/quote]

Saphir Reno or Creme Universalle

Hey guys I was interested in purchasing these right here and was wondering if anyone owns a pair or knows a comparable fit. I am a rookie to the extreme with this. Just finished paying off my car and looking to redo my wardrobe now

Does anyone have any idea of how that fits. For reference I'm a 9.5 in Jordan's and 10 in nikes but I can fit a half size down on both for a perfect fit. I also have AE Daltons in a 10D but I feel I could fully size down and still fit, maybe a little tight but I think once broken in it'll be good. Sorry for the long paragraph but I just want to be as detailed as possible. Also does anyone know how long it takes for meermin to deliver? I'm Going out of town soon might just have em ship to that address

I have a few pairs from Meermin on this particular last (Hiro). Frankly, I think you need to figure out your sizing first as this would help in determining what size to go with for Meermin. I just want you to have to avoid possibly returning a pair because it was the wrong size since they ship from Spain and it can be pricey to return. However, I assume you could possibly fit 9.5D in AE Dalton, so you would be an 8.5UK.

Anymore suggestions? Thanks

Saphir Reno or Creme Universalle
I have a few pairs from Meermin on this particular last (Hiro). Frankly, I think you need to figure out your sizing first as this would help in determining what size to go with for Meermin. I just want you to have to avoid possibly returning a pair because it was the wrong size since they ship from Spain and it can be pricey to return. However, I assume you could possibly fit 9.5D in AE Dalton, so you would be an 8.5UK.[/quote]

I got measured and they told me 8.5 at Nordstrom but I know for a fact that I would never be comfortable in that size. Size 9 in jordans/nikes alone makes my feet hurt until I break the shoes in. I know I can fit a 9.5 comfortably and I can SQUEEZE a 9 in the dalton but it'll be uncomfortable until broken in which I don't prefer. Im going to go with the 8.5 UK, thanks. This pair was one of the only pair with buckles that I saw that I liked. Next up is some loafers probably from here and some Chelsea and black oxfords

I always think about buying more, but I've only needed to wear a suit three times in the past 4 years
laugh.gif
Probably will buy more in a few years once some of my friends start getting married.
I work as an attorney/journalist/rapper (I know) so lately I've been wearing suits every single day. Difficult since I only really own 4.5 of them. I say .5 because one is a polyester blend from Express and the other is a super expensive super comfortable wool Hugo Boss that I got as a gift in college, but as such it's a 3 button and kind of loose fitting and untailored as was the style 7-8 years ago. I never really felt the need to buy more suits and dress shirts because I was only in court 1-3 times a week and my rotation more than sufficed. Recently I've been spending every day in court so I definitely need to expand the wardrobe, if only for myself.

It surprised me that in court while some of the other young laywers and I dress well -- and I pretty much try different suit and outfit combinations for myself each day half out of boredom and half to know what to wear to friends' weddings this summer and fall -- most people dress like ****. Like seriously. 90% of lawyers wear the ugliest suits with boots or sneakers or rubber/box toed dress shoes and just clearly look like they didnt try that hard with the outfit. Clothes are unironed, dirty, untucked, top buttons undone, ties askew. When I pointed this out to an older lawyer he was like "ehh, after you've done this for a while you don't care. Judges just want you to wear a tie and jacket and beyond that who are you trying to impress? These other *** holes?"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom