Dressing Better Vol 2.0

Any of you college kids graduating this semester? I know Adrian is....well I think he is.

few weeks away..feelsgoodman

Also, Im having a hell of a hard time finding someone in my area that does alterations. Only spot I've found charges $35 for pants and starts at 60 for suit alterations. Before I go to them, is this the norm on prices?
Where do you live? It depends on what's included in that $35 for pants and if suit alterations start at $60 just to shorten sleeves, then it's way too much. Not enough details to know though.

My take on everything is, purchase and wear whatever the hell YOU want.

From there, it is up to the individual to come up with their own spin on things. That's the hard part. A lot of cats take the road of copy and pasting looks, I blame that on the internet (thats a whole different discussion). Other cats try to dress "better" or "different" just for the sake of standing out. Not saying thats a bad thing, but if thats the reason you're doing it, then thats the wrong reason, imo. Plus, I think its easy to spot someone who is dressing for other people rather than dressing for themselves.

Anyways, this probably doesn't belong here, but I wore these for the first time in like 5 years. It's one of two pairs of dunks that I have kept. The other pair are the Cali's. I can't believe its been 10 years since these laser joints were released. Man, I feel older everyday! :lol:

Any of you college kids graduating this semester? I know Adrian is....well I think he is.

Also, Im having a hell of a hard time finding someone in my area that does alterations. Only spot I've found charges $35 for pants and starts at 60 for suit alterations. Before I go to them, is this the norm on prices?

Sheesh I feel like thats normal for a big city maybe...where are you from? In Pittsburgh thats sky high :lol:

:lol: no hate...but you're a teacher and I gotta mention this. (who doesn't love correcting their teachers? :lol:)

I've seen you mix up the usage of "lose" and "loose" twice already in the past week or so.

just something to watch out for.

Lol I do that all the time, I think I misspelled standardized as well lol

Is that $35 for a hem?

From there, it is up to the individual to come up with their own spin on things. That's the hard part. A lot of cats take the road of copy and pasting looks, I blame that on the internet (thats a whole different discussion). Other cats try to dress "better" or "different" just for the sake of standing out. Not saying thats a bad thing, but if thats the reason you're doing it, then thats the wrong reason, imo. Plus, I think its easy to spot someone who is dressing for other people rather than dressing for themselves.

Anyways, this probably doesn't belong here, but I wore these for the first time in like 5 years. It's one of two pairs of dunks that I have kept. The other pair are the Cali's. I can't believe its been 10 years since these laser joints were released. Man, I feel older everyday! :lol:

I always thought those Dunks were so ugly. I only have a pair of 90% finished Ross customs (black upper/white swoosh & midsole/gum sole) sitting in a closet somewhere.

I always thought those Dunks were so ugly. I only have a pair of 90% finished Ross customs (black upper/white swoosh & midsole/gum sole) sitting in a closet somewhere.

To each his own.

But for me, the first time laser technology was used on nike, chris lundy, waves, and swoosh-less design were an insta-cop to a 17 year old kid 10 years ago. I'm glad I kept them and honestly, these are probably one of my favorite nike's I still own today.

Sheesh I feel like thats normal for a big city maybe...where are you from? In Pittsburgh thats sky high :lol:

Kentucky :/ where dressing better.....doesnt exist :rofl:
But in all seriousness, when Im walking around campus or just out people frequently ask "where are you going?" or "what are you so dressed up for?" When in reality I feel as though im dressed down compared to most of the nice fits I see in here. I wonder if StephenB agrees since he's from Ky as well. Do you guys get that a lot?

Just to give a clear picture of KY, we're mostly lightyears behind on fashion/trends and most people cant dress for crap. I was discussing getting my suit tailored and some of my pants with a friend and he was laughing at the thought of me wanting to go "skinny" with all of my clothing, when in reality I'm just getting the proper fits to my frame.

But it was $35 for a hem and taper I believe. And the suit coat alterations started at $60. Im still browsing around, I hope to find something this weekend.

DZaster, the GRE material is like a deciphering almost. They say you do the same on your GRE as you did on your SAT.

I'd start studying words now!

Kentucky :/ where dressing better.....doesnt exist :rofl:
But in all seriousness, when Im walking around campus or just out people frequently ask "where are you going?" or "what are you so dressed up for?" When in reality I feel as though im dressed down compared to most of the nice fits I see in here. I wonder if StephenB agrees since he's from Ky as well. Do you guys get that a lot?

Just to give a clear picture of KY, we're mostly lightyears behind on fashion/trends and most people cant dress for crap. I was discussing getting my suit tailored and some of my pants with a friend and he was laughing at the thought of me wanting to go "skinny" with all of my clothing, when in reality I'm just getting the proper fits to my frame.

But it was $35 for a hem and taper I believe. And the suit coat alterations started at $60. Im still browsing around, I hope to find something this weekend.

It seems like we are light years behind but remember Esquire did name KY the most fashionable state in the country :tongue: granted it was 7 years ago lol
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2006-05-05/news/0605050143_1_esquire-kentucky-home-derby-day

Where you from in KY I might be able to give you a few suggestions for some alterations :D

This is going to be a long read, dudes.

I'm not going to reply to anything because I don't want to drag it out so FYI...it's just my 2 cents.

I understand what Rolli is trying to say. I lived through it. I basically redid 99.5% of my wardrobe in the last 3 years or so when I started commanding a real salary. I was a part of this thread from the start and I bought a lot of stuff from Macy's, BR, H&M, etc. At that point, I replace my fitted caps and NTs definition of streetwear with whatever I found on sale even though if I didn't really liked it, and I did it pretty quick...in several months. This is why I have advised for the new guys to take it slow and not try to revamp their wardrobe in a short amount of time. You may have a buyer remorse. Rolli is (I think) saying quality over quantity...picking a pair of Alden instead 5 pairs of Aldos or 3 shirts of decent quality instead of 15 H&M shirts..basically a minimalist set up if you must.

Now, I want to introduce the concept of perceptual map...my biz guys should know somewhat about it. Picture the X axis being the price, and Y axis being the quality. As price goes up, you would expect quality to go up as well. However, at all points on the map there are consumer bases. The lower ones being targets for brands like H&M and Zara, and the higher points being the likes of Tom Ford and Prada. The point here is that there are consumers that want to dress better at all target points. Some people don't want to spend much money and would be happy to replace those items in a couple of years. Some people want high quality items so they can wear it for years and years to come. Different folks want different things....it applies to this thread too. If you want the finest items out there, the mall basically does nothing for you. You'd be shopping online and visit high end stores only.

Everyone has their own comfort zone in term of spending. This does not necessary correlate to income. There is a gent on StyleForum I talk to about business/current events. He makes nearly $200k/year and is comfortable buying AEs. He thinks Aldens are too expensive for him. He has other hobbies that other folks may not be into. On the other side of the spectrum, I know guys around my age who are really into expensive things and make a lot less than the aforementioned guy. Guys would always want to stay in their comfort zone.

The goal of this thread is to help a user develop his own style....this is why a lot of pictures are posted and discussions are debated. A lot of the gents here are in their late teens or early 20s. It is obvious that menswear and a dash of streetwear dominate the thread. It is not a unique mix like SF where you may have guys wearing flannel around the waist for the heck of it or a leather skirt or rock the anti fit. If a new user can benefit off this thread by getting the foundation started or at least get a direction of where he wants to go, then the thread has done its job. The users may venture off to other boards for further learning/growth, ie they may go onto Ask Andy or the Men's Corner to really learn about menswear if they take a liking to it. Because a lot of the gents here are in that bracket of late teens to early 20s, budget is a concern. I couldn't even afford Red Wings in college so I can relate.

I'm an easy going guy, so I don't mind how this thread turns, as long as it stays positive and everyone is respected. If dudes want to talk about mall brands and sales, so be it :lol:

It seems like we are light years behind but remember Esquire did name KY the most fashionable state in the country :tongue: granted it was 7 years ago lol
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2006-05-05/news/0605050143_1_esquire-kentucky-home-derby-day

Where you from in KY I might be able to give you a few suggestions for some alterations :D

Derby is one of the times Louisville is a good look as far as dressing better..and George Clooney is from Lex?! But im located in Bowling Green, finishing up at WKU. However, I could possibly make a trip to louisville or lex.

and WJ4 well said.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom