Dressing Better Vol 2.0

Question for yall GQ cats.

I'm trying to build up my dress shoe collection to about 9-10 pair but don't really dress up much. You think I can get away with some DSW type joints and then maybe a couple of Allen Edmonds level quality shoes. Or should I just stack up a little more and wait until I can build the whole collection with the higher quality shoes.

I know the better quality shoes last long, but if I don't put much mileage on them, I feel like it won't be that much of a drop off.

I'm trying to build up my dress shoe collection to about 9-10 pair but don't really dress up much. You think I can get away with some DSW type joints and then maybe a couple of Allen Edmonds level quality shoes. Or should I just stack up a little more and wait until I can build the whole collection with the higher quality shoes.

I know the better quality shoes last long, but if I don't put much mileage on them, I feel like it won't be that much of a drop off.
Nordstrom Rack.

You're welcome.

If you do buy DSW don't post in here, you'll get snarled and laughed at b.

AE is considered entry level in here, so that's not good enough round here either.

Meermin seems like the new entry level acceptable in this thread.

Personally, I think you'd be doing better than 90% of the general population with AE. 

Good place to look for AE is nordstrom rack. Seen a couple models for like 130

Last edited:

If you're not going to wear them often, why have 9-10 pairs? You can get away with having 4 pairs - 2 black, 2 brown - so you have a small rotation and if they're not worn often they will last you a good amount of time. 

AE is considered entry level in here, so that's not good enough round here either.

Personally, I think you'd be doing better than 90% of the general population with AE. 
If cats can throw $200+ for Adidas, Nike, and Jordan sneakers that are cheaply made then they can spend the same amount on actual quality shoes that would easily last a decade.

Agreed on quality over quantity. You can do with just a couple easily.

If cats can throw $200+ for Adidas, Nike, and Jordan sneakers that are cheaply made then they can spend the same amount on actual quality shoes that would easily last a decade.

Agreed on quality over quantity. You can do with just a couple easily.
I agree, I said AE is good though, will easily last me 5 years. 

I wanna get a pair of meermins, I like the way they look. 

I was just saying beware if you post dsw you'll get snarled at, am i wrong? 
laugh.gif

i'd say 95-98%

though some of the cats on here seem to create a new entry level every 3 months :lol:

i'd say 95-98%

though some of the cats on here seem to create a new entry level every 3 months
laugh.gif
This is true.

Some of my co-workers still wear box toed dress shoes.

I noticed no one pays attention or cares 
laugh.gif

i'd say 95-98%

though some of the cats on here seem to create a new entry level every 3 months :lol:
This is true.

Some of my co-workers still wear box toed dress shoes.

I noticed no one pays attention or cares :lol:  

i work in the corporate world and had to train myself to not make shoe contact before eye contact like i have my whole life

cuz you see a lot of

from both men and women.

Last edited:
DSW is fine if that's your budget though. AE would be better if you can afford it though.

Stop hating.

How much did you size down on those? From reading pages of the adidas thread, I think half a size down would fit well. People have said the cushioning lacks comfort though.

I actually didn't size down from my normal size (11 in most nikes Jordan's and my dress shoe size) and they fit me pretty well. But my size in air maxes and other nike running shoes is 11.5 so I guess from other runners I sized down a half. I would try some on in store before you cop. And yea the cushioning isn't all that

I agree, I said AE is good though, will easily last me 5 years. 

I wanna get a pair of meermins, I like the way they look. 

I was just saying beware if you post dsw you'll get snarled at, am i wrong? :lol:
Yeah, you're wrong. If we're talking about quality shoes then yes, AE is entry level. But if you just have $50-100 budget and have to make it work then you have to finesse.

My first two dress shoes were 2 chukka boots from BR at half off which I still use today in foul weather. I've recommended Aldo and others before based on the price point.

Thanks for the info. I was rocking square toe joints until a couple years ago, so I can't speak on anybody.

I guess I can go with less pairs and just build up the rotation over time. Maybe cop two pairs a year. Just copped my first pair of AE's last night.

I never really dropped a lot on sneaks, I was always more into sales and outlets, so it hurt a little to spend $300 on one pair, but I know the quality is there.

Will check for Nordstrom's Rack.

Thanks for the info. I was rocking square toe joints until a couple years ago, so I can't speak on anybody.

I guess I can go with less pairs and just build up the rotation over time. Maybe cop two pairs a year. Just copped my first pair of AE's last night.

I never really dropped a lot on sneaks, I was always more into sales and outlets, so it hurt a little to spend $300 on one pair, but I know the quality is there.

www.shoebank.com for AE second's quality joints (online outlet)

Man I can't wait to get some AE's. Georgia State Boards taking forever. First pay check I'm gonna go ignorant.

www.shoebank.com for AE second's quality joints (online outlet)

you inspired me to get pizza for lunch b.. always posting pizza pics on IG

the new gig blocked online IG viewers.. it kinda ruined my life and is why i been posting in here more :smh:

Alright fellas I need some criticism on my suit, and I'm open to any and all criticism and my skin is thick so if lulz are to be had fine by me :lol:. Copped a 3 piece joint from that jcrew factory deal a few pages back (shouts to the poster I repped the OG post) but I don't know if I need to size up one on the jacket. Pants are gonna get some alterations soon (slight taper and hemmed some) vest fits fine but I don't know if the jacket is pulling too much at the midsection. My fear is if I exchange for a larger size I would have to put too much into the alterations and would be paying more than I paid for the jacket. Hopefully it's not too tight.

Pics:

Suit might still be a little wrinkled since I pulled it out the box right before I threw it on. If pics are needed without me holding the phone I can get my ol lady to take some later tonight. Aware me brahs

Last edited:
Meermin Chelsea in Snuff Suede
Meermin Chelsea in Chocolate Brown Suede
Carmina Python Austerity Brogue MTO

You fellas with the Meermin Chelsea's, questions:

What is the wait time like with getting these Chelseas?

Do you guys rock them casually?  Think they'll look good with some slim denim?

Price is about $250ish right?

8.5 in AE, so a 7.5 in these?

I have a couple pairs from DSW, posted them in here, still have them, no ridicule. Paid $20 for one of the pairs that still gets worn today.

You fellas with the Meermin Chelsea's, questions:

What is the wait time like with getting these Chelseas?

Do you guys rock them casually?  Think they'll look good with some slim denim?

Price is about $250ish right?

8.5 in AE, so a 7.5 in these?

The Chocolate brown ones I got from an eBay seller who sells Meermin "seconds" and they took about 1.5-2 weeks to arrive. Only thing wrong with them was some small issues with the nap. Paid $132 for those.

The Snuff suede pair took a little less than a week from order to being at my doorstep. I emailed them once I placed the order. I paid about $210 but this is prior to them switching from the Euro to Dollar pricing.

Back
Top Bottom