Dwight Howard to work with The Dream this summer Vol. Ya'll kept asking for it

im not you

Banned
In a basketball sense, Howard said the biggest adjustment he wants to make to his game is a "mental" one to help him improve his free-throw shooting. Howard made 59.2 percent of his foul shots during the regular season and only 51.9 percent in the playoffs.

"I target it every offseason," Howard said. "It's all mental. That's why I said that my biggest area of growth would be mentally. I think that's the area that I have to just really focus on this summer — just being mentally tough — because I can get out here in practice and there's nobody out there and make 200 free throws and then get in the game and not do the same thing. So, it's all mental. Once I get over that, that mental block, then I think I'll be a lot better."

Some help might come from former Houston Rockets all-star Hakeem Olajuwon, who spoke with Howard during the Eastern Conference finals. Olajuwon has made himself available to NBAplayers in recent years; he even spent some time last summer working with Kobe Bryant to help Bryant to develop his low-post game.

"In the next couple of weeks, we will see each other," Howard said of Olajuwon. "I just can't wait to go up there. He's a great guy. He had a lot of great things to say. I'm just looking forward to having the chance to work with him."

Magic coach Stan Van Gundy said Howard made big strides as a leader during the last three games of the Eastern Conference finals. Van Gundy also liked that Howard's repertoire on offense widened during the regular season.

"As far as where his improvement goes from here, I think it becomes more gradual," Van Gundy said. "The one thing that stands out, of course, and he's working very hard on it, is the free-throw shooting. I think that alone would change the way he got played and everything else. He'll continue to work at that."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/os-magic-dwight-howard-20100531,0,4937090.story

Personally, I think Dwight is "too strong" to have the finesse game of Hakeem. Just look at his free throws it's like he throwing a fastball at the rim most of the time.

He needs to study Shaq more than anyone else.

laugh.gif

If Pat Ewing can't teach him....

but seriously, the Dwight Howard everyone saw in the last 3 games of the ECF is what we need to see from Dwight on a nightly basis. With his athleticism, he should be averagiing 22-25ppg...EASY.

Dwight needs to develop his left hand it is so inconsistent
also...
- he needs to realize that its not necessary to jump out the gym on every move, if he uses those massive shoulders and elbows properly
sick.gif

- his release point on his jumper needs to be higher
-some kind of counter to the right hook

Originally Posted by ExtRaOrDinaRy SwAg

Personally, I think Dwight is "too strong" to have the finesse game of Hakeem. Just look at his free throws it's like he throwing a fastball at the rim most of the time.

He needs to study Shaq DAVID $%$@@%! ROBINSON more than anyone else.

pimp.gif

Shaq can't teach his size.

If he had a decent post move/footwork im sure the Magic could live with 60% from the FT. He needs to work on his offensive game the most. FTs will come with an improved shot.

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

laugh.gif

what is this suppose to mean?

it means if a top 10 center of all time can't help him, chances are a top 5 center of all time won't be able to help him either.

and which player offense game is a better fit for howard? its hakeems, he should of been working with him since day 1

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

laugh.gif

what is this suppose to mean?

Patrick Ewing had great foowork and range for a 7-footer....he was brought on to help/coach Dwight.  Where do you see the improvement?  It either falls on Pat, for not doing a good job...or it falls on Dwight for having deaf ears.  

If he would improve his footwork and add a few more post moves he would be so much better. We all know he'll never have D.Rob's, Dream's, or Ewing's touch to hit that 8-10 foot J but his size and athleticism along with improved footwork and more offensive creativity will make him a nightmare to cover.

I mentioned the same thing, either Ewing is an awful coach or Dwight is just a difficult student and can't learn.

I think it's painfully clear Dwight lacks the natural touch and footwork, so who knows how much he's been working on it and still struggles.

I'm excited he'll be working with Hakeem, at least to learn a few consistent post moves. He can do it just never consistently. He needs to be able to hit a few more foul shots a game, a couple more post baskets, and he can average 25 ppg easy.

this is good, he needs to learn more than one move. he always does that same damn hook shot in the middle of the lane. he never even thought to fake it and go the other way... the same exact thing over and over again.

Originally Posted by DipsetGeneral

Patrick must be tight, that Dwight gave him the boot
laugh.gif

Shoutout to Hakeem though!
pimp.gif
That's probably wrong.  It only says Dwight and Hakeem are meeting up this summer, like how Hakeem and Kobe did a summer before.  Hakeem is not coming on staff as an Orlando assistant, and Ewing is still working as the Magic's big man coach.

Back
Top Bottom