Eddie Huangs "fresh off the boat" ...new abc sitcom

Of course a network sitcom is going to be adapted for the broader viewing audience, Eddie's fight with that is well documented but he still cosigned the show. If you wanted to actually capture the grittiness of Eddie that we see on Huang's World and his book, the show would have to be stuck on VICE or HBO. But that's what his book and his web series on Vice is for. Fresh Off The Boat is doing what it needs to do, bring in enough nostalgia for the first generation Asian American immigrants while keeping it relatable for enough people to view every week, and it's working. Ratings are good, you have people talking about it, and Asian American actors are finally getting constant exposure(in a not Martial Arts/subordinate,minor role).

Evan and Emory steal the show some episodes, Constance and Randall are solid week in and week out, and let's be honest, we're expecting Eddie(Hudson Yang) to be like the Eddie we actually know, so don't you think he'd come off a bit corny acting like that as a child? I know I was like that when I was younger, I probably looked like the corniest kid ever mouthing NaS lyrics when I was putting up shots in the gym thinking I was doing it, but that's how it was. 

All I know is, in my 23 years of existence, my parents have never been excited about TV shows. Now every Tuesday, my brother, his family, and I come over to my parents house to watch FOTB and have dinner and relive pretty much what we went through being the only Asian family in a white community. For me, it became a family experience, and every episode so far has had such a nostalgic effect on top of it being actually funny. I'll admit it started off rough, but I think they're hitting their stride and it has staying power.

Just my $.02
roll.gif

Pippen being mad nobody wanted his shoes[emoji]128557[/emoji][emoji]128557[/emoji][emoji]128557[/emoji][emoji]128557[/emoji]

This sucks dough, they trynna be funny too much. The accent is fake a heck,u can just tell. Also, the kids all look confused and script acting, meaning, it doesn‘t look natural as if you knew before hand they were gonna say what they were supposed to say.

SAID before, Eddie Huangs is like my moms fatty tricep. Dudes face is sagging crazy and a legit wanksta.

This sucks dough, they trynna be funny too much. The accent is fake a heck,u can just tell. Also, the kids all look confused and script acting, meaning, it doesn‘t look natural as if you knew before hand they were gonna say what they were supposed to say.

SAID before, Eddie Huangs is like my moms fatty tricep. Dudes face is sagging crazy and a legit wanksta.
Go away

^^^^ yea i saw that.

Anyone who read his book...is it totally off track now?

U soft b.

Pull ya skirt up.

Last edited:
The two youngest boys are the funniest things on that show to me.
How can you not like them?

I wasn't aware real Eddie wasn't backing this show.
He was on a Rogan podcast with the dad from the show. They were promoting it.

Dude we get it, u have a hard on for Eddie. U bashed him n said the same corny joke in the celeb thread.

1408.gif

Well Damn...
Guess the second season is a no go for him I wonder..
The only thing that bothers me(my wife more, understandably so) is his moms accent..
Been watching those Vice series lately.
Really like them. Think I'll pick his book up tonight.

It never really followed the book to be honest. The first episode probably was the closest thing(the whole lunchables thing, fighting the black kid), even the quote at the end seemed to have the Eddie Huang appeal to it. Now they're kinda just cherry picking random stories and making it suitable for TV, because a lot of the stuff that did go on in his memoir would be a little harder to replicate on national TV. 

He seemed to be promoting it hard at the beginning(if anyone follows him on IG and whatnot) but it has definitely been nonexistent as of late to him, I figured it's because he's all over the place filming for Huang's World, but his discomfort with the show was never really private. 

It never really followed the book to be honest. The first episode probably was the closest thing(the whole lunchables thing, fighting the black kid), even the quote at the end seemed to have the Eddie Huang appeal to it. Now they're kinda just cherry picking random stories and making it suitable for TV, because a lot of the stuff that did go on in his memoir would be a little harder to replicate on national TV. 
Agreed, I think Eddie knew that they would water it down. The fact that the show is still airing is good, though.

I just hope he's getting money from it all since he's the producer and should get producer credit. Then just do some Dame Dash stuff and invest it into something that is more legit to your standards. I even heard Vice pays horribly but maybe the income from his sitcom is enough to help fund his show on Vice.

da accent fake dough, not even dat funny no more

I posted this before but this is Eddie Huang's real mom which Constance Wu plays. The accent might be over the top but it's on par with Eddie's mom.

She's one of those chicks that is so hot you don't even know why because she's also basic.

I still don't get it honestly but I did see these photos on her Twitter and she looks good here.

CBZ8WpwVEAErvzp.jpg

Din tai fung :pimp:

Dtf.

^^^^ yea i saw that.

Anyone who read his book...is it totally off track now?

Honestly there's no way they could have followed the book and made it appealing to everyone for 30 mins every week on ABC.

Maybe on another channel but even then I don't know how they would attract an audience.

I completely understand why he's mad but I don't know what he expected the show to be on ABC.

I hate how the parents don't have an accent anymore lol. It's like the actors totally forgot they are playing Chinese immigrants.

Back
Top Bottom