F1 Official Thread - Grand Prix of Britain

Welcome, Checo!

3002_1DX4757.jpg

Welcome to the team! :pimp:

the MP4-28 is set to be revealed the 31st? :nerd:

Man I ******g miss the season so bad, I had a dream a few nights ago I was hanging around the paddock but I can't remember who I was with :smh:

Last edited:
2014 Mercedes-Benz 1.6L Turbo V6 :x

Still a fan of the V10s, though.

Also, got me a new pair of driving boots. :lol: :smokin

Last edited:
Yeah, but as long as it sounds good (and they said it would), I'm ok.

Interesting changes with KERS though... 33.3 seconds!? 
nerd.gif

Remarkable improvements in technology, indeed. :wow: :smokin 125,000RPM :x Something tells me that engine failures in 2014 will be surprisingly spectacular. :nerd:

Mercedes reveals 2014 Formula 1 engine
By Jonathan Noble Friday, January 11th 2013, 14:44 GMT

Mercedes-Benz has unveiled the first images of the 2014 Formula 1 power unit that it believes will put the 'motor back in motorsport'.

As dyno testing of its new V6 1.6-litre turbo charged unit continues at its Brixworth facility, Mercedes says early indications from its work are pointing towards an exciting era for grand prix racing once the 2014 rules come into force.

Andy Cowell, managing director of Mercedes-Benz High Performance Engines, dismissed fears that the new power units would not deliver as exciting a sound as the current V8 engines, and predicted thrills for fans and challenges for drivers.

"The engines are going to be loud, but I think sweet sounding," he said on Friday. "The frequency will be higher and, with the turbocharger running at 125,000rpm, they will be loud. When you are stood next to it on the dyno it is not quiet and you need ear defenders.

"There will be a new quality to the racing too. It will edge towards a thinking drivers' formula to get the most from the car and the available fuel energy.

"The engines will also deliver much more torque - especially on the exit of the corners. Cars with more power than grip coming out of the corners - that is something that we all enjoy.

"They will also put F1 back at the cutting edge of new technology - which is what the fans want."

Red Bull chief technical officer Adrian Newey suggested last year that the power units would become the critical factor in deciding the outcome of the 2014 championship.

Cowell believed it was too early to be specific about the impact the engines will have, but was confident that the importance of the engine manufacturer would be greater than it was now, a move he welcomed.

"We are putting the motor back in motorsport, but to what extent we will only know in 2014," he said. "It will definitely have more of an influence."

The new power units will produce the same 750hp figure of the current engines but a larger percentage of that will come from Energy Recovery Systems.

The current KERS currently produces 80hp for 6.7 seconds per lap, while the new ERS will deliver 161 hp for 33.3 seconds per lap.

Cowell said: "Today it is difficult to be quick without KERS - for 2014 it will be impossible to go racing without ERS."

Yeah, how timely, too. :lol:

Not really into sneakers any more, but I've always wanted a pair of AJ 1s in this colorway. Honestly wasn't aware they dropped this past weekend until I saw my friend rocking them on Instagram. Luckily, found them in my size online the other day from a local shop. Last pair, too. Just couldn't miss out on them. :pimp:

Last edited:
First Heikki and now Timo... 
mean.gif

I wonder which pay-driver will now get Timo's seat.  

http://www.marussiaf1team.com/news/709/

Joint Statement from the Marussia F1 Team and Timo Glock, 21 January 2013, 09.30hrs GMT

Banbury, UK

Monday 21 January 2013, 09.30hrs GMT

The Marussia F1 Team and its race driver Timo Glock have, by mutual consent, agreed to part company with immediate effect.

The 30 year old German has been with the Team since its inception in 2009, completing three full seasons of competition and playing a significant role in its development.

John Booth, Team Principal of the Marussia F1 Team, commented: “Timo has made a very significant contribution to our Team over the past three seasons, helping us to develop our package to the point where, for a large proportion of the 2012 season, we were holding 10th place in the Constructors’ Championship. Timo is a fantastic driver and he has been a very popular member of the Team.

“Our Team was founded on the principle of benefiting from proven experience whilst also providing opportunities for young emerging talent to progress to the pinnacle of motorsport. Thus far, this philosophy has also been reflected in our commercial model. The ongoing challenges facing the industry mean that we have had to take steps to secure our long-term future. Tough economic conditions prevail and the commercial landscape is difficult for everyone, Formula 1 teams included. We would like to thank Timo for working with us to reach this decision, especially as he had a valid contract, and also for the contribution he has made to our Team. We wish him all the best for his future and I would like to congratulate the next team acquiring the services of such a competitive, professional and experienced racer.

“We will provide an update regarding the completion of our driver line-up in due course.”

Timo Glock added: “I have had three excellent years with the Marussia F1 Team, during which I had the chance to actively participate in building and developing the Team in its endeavours to succeed within the Formula 1 World Championship. I would like to wish the Team good luck in navigating this next period and thank everyone for the great times we shared and the support I have received. Although it is not the path I expected to be taking, I am in fact very excited about what the future holds in terms of my own career and I hope to comment on that very soon."

I really don't like the whole payed driver steeze, it's rather tasteless in my opinion. Give that seat to a young driver who deserves it, there's plenty in GP2 and Renault 3.5.

So I guess the season is going to start with 11 teams? Nobody is going to take HRT's place. Kinda sad to see them leave. :frown:

Who am I missing from the list?

Alonso/Massa-Ferrari

Webber/Vettel-Red Bull

Perez/Button-McLaren

Raikkonen/Grosjean-Lotus

Bottas/Maldonado-Williams

Di Resta/?-Force India

Gutierrez/Hulkenberg-Sauber

Vergne/ Ricciardo-Toro Rosso

Pic/?-Caterham

Chilton/?-Marussia

Hamilton/Rosberg-Mercedes

Well, this is going to be awkward... :lol:

NEW POST FORCING WOLFF TO KEEP SECRETS FROM WIFE
[emoji]169[/emoji] F1 Pulse, 23 January 2013

[emoji]169[/emoji] Daimler
Recently appointed Mercedes executive director Toto Wolff’s personal life has taken a turn towards confidentiality with his new post.

A shareholder with not only the German manufacturer’s Formula 1 team but also with Williams, the Austrian is now required to keep secrets from his wife Susie, who is the development driver for the British team, to avoid sharing of information between the rival teams.

"It's going to be pretty difficult," Wolff was quoted saying by Reuters. "Last week she came back from an aero test and I asked her 'how was your day?' and she said 'I think I can't speak to you about that'.

"So we have to find new ways of communication at home, which is quite interesting. We are not talking motorsport any more at dinner but lots of other stuff," he pointed out.

MB really stirring ish up!  Total upper-management overhaul, then there's Niki Lauda joining in... and rumors of Ross Brawn out... and Paddy Lowe from McLaren in! Just nuts! 

I'm hearing that having Niki in management isn't a good thing as he did a poor job at Jag and Ferrari (I think). 

EDIT

Car launches

Lotus - January 28th, Enstone.

McLaren - January 31st, Woking.

Force India - February 1st, Silverstone.

Ferrari - February 1st, Maranello.

Sauber - February 2nd, Hinwil.

Red Bull - February 3rd, Milton Keynes.

Mercedes - February 4th, Jerez.

Toro Rosso - February 4th, Jerez.

Caterham - February 5th, Jerez.

Williams - February 19th, Barcelona.

Last edited:
Valencia's out. Good riddance. Mostly boring races, save for last season's race. Bring back Imola. :smokin

F1 dream over as Valencia street circuit crumbles
24 January, 2013

Valencia’s Formula One foray as host to the European Grand Prix is apparently over, with a Spanish newspaper reporting that the once glamourous street circuit is now falling into serious ruin and disrepair.

The chances that the former harbour-side venue will return to the calendar in the future therefore seem slim, as Marca newspaper has published images that suggest that the facility is no longer even subject to a minimum of maintainance.

Thieves have stripped the circuit infrastructure of any valuable items like electronic control boxes, while an access tunnel is completely flooded by standing water.

“A bridge that cost two million euros is now used only by vagrants,” read the report.

The pit boxes have been “ransacked”, manholes stripped of their covers, and wires pulled out of light posts.

The last grand prix at the Valencia street circuit was held in July 2012, and won by Spain’s Fernando Alonso.

“Now, far from the glamour, the neighbours complain that there is no supervision and that thieves have taken everything of any value,” said Marca. (GMM)

Sad reality of F1: it's all about the money, at the end of the day. :smh: :\ Hope Melbourne still stays on the calendar.
Ecclestone: Melbourne shouldn't complain

24 January 2013

Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone says Melbourne should be less opposed to the fees it pays to host a Grand Prix. The 82-year-old’s comments follow reports that 30 million Australian dollars of taxpayers’ money in the state of Victoria is put aside for the privilege each year, a cost which has angered many residents.

Melbourne’s five-year contract extension, signed in 2011, is said to be worth around 170 million dollars. Louise Asher, Minister of Tourism for Victoria, believes this is too high to subsidise, but Ecclestone insists the decision to stage a race remains with the state and is signed 'of their own free will'.

"It's up to them, isn't it?" Ecclestone told Australian radio station 3AW. "I can't make them sign a contract, they do it of their own free will. They shouldn't complain after they sign."

Despite the recent developments, Ecclestone says he would be more than happy to extend the circuit's deal beyond 2015:

"If they’re happy with what they pay for the event to take place, then I’m very happy."

Last edited:
Yep, was thinking the same thing.  I think it was implied that McLaren might go for a high-nose... remember them testing with a horizontal piece of carbon across the tub (in front of the driver) last year?  They said it was for seeing if a high-nose would affect their visibility.

Having said that, who knows what's really under that sheet.

nice pick up, this is my fav!
XXI's are very underrated, that's the best colorway in my opinion. I had the white pair, but I destroyed them playing street football. :lol:

Welp, with Valencia out what track is gonna replace it? And we still don't know if the New Jersey race is going down. I say put Magny-Cours and Imola in there.

I hope Melbourne doesn't fall through either. JB knows that track very well and I expect a podium from him :pimp:

The Lotus E21 looks exactly the same as the E20 :stoneface: Same ugly platypus nose :x

Last edited:
^ Good riddance on Valencia... no one's gonna miss that track.  The bigger concern is the Nurburgring.  They were having discussions with Bernie, but I heard they were having problems?

Anyway, no surprise that the Lotus E21 looks the way it does.  There weren't many rule-changes for the 2013 season so the cars will likely be an evolution of the 2012 cars, hence the step-nose will be there again.  It's also why many expect the usual suspects (RBR, McLaren, Ferrari) will be up there again.  The bigger changes will be in 2014 with the new engines and various other car-dimension changes.  Lewis will be banking on that as MB will likely be on top of that, with regards to the engines.

The XXI's have definitely grown on me over the years... both the red and white ones look fantastic.  I still need to see Ray Allen's Sonic-gold ones! 
nerd.gif

Back
Top Bottom