Finishing up Bachelor's degree at 25

That's fair. Don't sell yourself short though -- with that GPA + relevant work experience, you could be making more than what you think you're worth.
youre right, just never ceossed my mind. I will bee including it from now on.

Have employers interviewing you ever had a problem with it? My GPA was terrible at the beginning of my college career from pretty much just not trying and being immature but I've done really well over the last couple years since I started my online classes. My GPA when I graduate this December will probably be around a 2.8 most likely. It's a 2.5 now I don't think it could jump up further than that even if I got straight A's this semester.

Unfortunately yes, I've had employers ask why it was so low. One interviewer wanted me to divulge exactly why I wasn't focused so hard in school, in which I had to tell him it was none of his business. Needless to say I didn't get a call back from them

That's fair. Don't sell yourself short though -- with that GPA + relevant work experience, you could be making more than what you think you're worth.
youre right, just never ceossed my mind. I will bee including it from now on.

If you have a 3.5+ cumulative/major GPA, include it in your resume. It's nothing to be ashamed about and can speak to your work ethic.

Last edited:
Unfortunately yes, I've had employers ask why it was so low. One interviewer wanted me to divulge exactly why I wasn't focused so hard in school, in which I had to tell him it was none of his business. Needless to say I didn't get a call back from them

:rofl: damn...told that man it was none of his damn business

buc em buc em following this thread for the last day or two has me reminiscing thinking about **** man. :lol:

I followed an eerily similar path as you did. I was a collegiate athlete, ended up dropping out after three years. Ended up transferring to two different Universities after my initial stint and didn't end up finishing my degree until I was 26 years old, with a 2.8 GPA.

I'm a little buzzed right now so forgive me if this doesn't come out clear but don't stress anything man. I remember many feelings of anxiety about how "old" I was gonna a be when I finished. Ended up being a complete non issue. Like I said yesterday, no interviewer ever hinted that they had any idea that they knew I hadn't finished in 4 years, or that they knew I was 26 vs 21/22. Even if they did know I think it's a complete non issue.

GPA was a little more serious. I was trying to break into investment management. As undergrads we were told straight up if you had less than a 3.5 don't even think of putting it on your resume. The omission would come up in interviews and you'd have to answer for it. When your GPA is below the mean in your field it's always going to be an uphill climb but it's never a death sentence. I was told that if you had the social intelligence to communicate why your GPA wasn't up to par, and why you were of value, academics 100% aside, that you'd be straight. My personal experience led me to believe this was very true.

Networking and being in a position to hold conversations with influential people relative to your current position, land interviews, and ultimately jobs - off the strength of other relationships, is x10000 more important than your GPA or your exact age when you're fresh out of undergrad.

Last edited:
buc em buc em following this thread for the last day or two has me reminiscing thinking about **** man. :lol:

I followed an eerily similar path as you did. I was a collegiate athlete, ended up dropping out after three years. Ended up transferring to two different Universities after my initial stint and didn't end up finishing my degree until I was 26 years old, with a 2.8 GPA.

I'm a little buzzed right now so forgive me if this doesn't come out clear but don't stress anything man. I remember many feelings of anxiety about how "old" I was gonna a be when I finished. Ended up being a complete non issue. Like I said yesterday, no interviewer ever hinted that they had any idea that they knew I hadn't finished in 4 years, or that they knew I was 26 vs 21/22. Even if they did know I think it's a complete non issue.

GPA was a little more serious. I was trying to break into investment management. As undergrads we were told straight up if you had less than a 3.5 don't even think of putting it on your resume. The omission would come up in interviews and you'd have to answer for it. When your GPA is below the mean in your field it's always going to be an uphill climb but it's never a death sentence. I was told that if you had the social intelligence to communicate why your GPA wasn't up to par, and why you were of value, academics 100% aside, that you'd be straight. My personal experience led me to believe this was very true.

Networking and being in a position to hold conversations with influential people relative to your current position, land interviews, and ultimately jobs - off the strength of other relationships, is x10000 more important than your GPA or your exact age when you're fresh out of undergrad.
Are you working in investment management now?

Thank God no man. That's what I thought I wanted at the time but at this point the idea of working in an office 7am - 7pm makes me cringe. :lol:

My first job out of school was a financial analyst position for a software development consulting firm.

I still work in a similar field but as a contractor, so way more flexibility which allows me to focus on a secondary career which otherwise would still be just a passion.

Last edited:
What was you guys loan debt looking like out of college?

I'm looking at 35k in student loan debt that I have to pay off starting in January....

Last edited:
Lol
What was you guys loan debt looking like out of college?

I'm looking at 35k in student loan debt that I have to pay off starting in January....
substantially more than 35k. I'm all over it though and it'll be gone soon. Like real soon.

My time line for paying off my loans was six years post grad and I'm actually gonna make it.

Lol
substantially more than 35k. I'm all over it though and it'll be gone soon. Like real soon.

My time line for paying off my loans was six years post grad and I'm actually gonna make it.

How much were your payments? And how much do you think mine will end up being...

Thank God I graduated debt free, I went to a public school though. I've seen some of the figures those who went to a private school have :x

Last edited:
Lol

How much were your payments? And how much do you think mine will end up being...
I've refinanced twice since graduation. Payments used to be 900 something total at 9% now it's down to 630 at 5.4% which still isn't cheap debt.

What's your interest rate? You may want to consider refinancing your loans while we're still in this low interest rate environment.

Thank God I graduated debt free, I went to a public school though. I've seen some of the figures those who went to a private school have :x
Eh it goes both ways. My school wasn't "worth" what it cost, but there's small intangibles that go along with going there like name draw

It's really my fault for not getting a full ride anyways to keep it 100

Student debt is no joke -- 2 homies are in med school now and won't fully pay off everything + interest until their 40s.

sick.gif

Eh it goes both ways. My school wasn't "worth" what it cost, but there's small intangibles that go along with going there like name draw

Where'd you go?

And I forget what my interest rate is but all my debt is from whatever loans my school offered, I didn't get them from any private loan companies or banks or anything.

Where'd you go?

And I forget what my interest rate is but all my debt is from whatever loans my school offered, I didn't get them from any private loan companies or banks or anything.

That means they had to have been federal loans. Fixed interest rate around 3.5% unless you got a Perkins loans at 5%.

With a 35K principal balance, you're relatively winning in the student debt game trust. :lol:

Last edited:

Where'd you go?

Morehouse College.

You should look into that rate and if you can help it pay more than the minimum amount due each month. Paying the minimum is a foolish move.

Your rates probably low though sounds like you just had Federal loans and didn't have to sign up for the private loan jux like me.

Last edited:
My undergrad was 2.14. I am in Grad school now through USD and she has only graded our first 2 assignments so far and I got 20/20 on both so technically I am a 4.0 right now. Suma Cum Laude

http://www.businessinsider.com/best-colleges-in-the-western-us-2016-8

I was surprised looking at these average salaries 10 yrs after graduating, because I make more than all of them except Stanford (#1) and that is in Oklahoma which is one of the lowest C.O.L in the country. I would have expected all of those numbers ot be approaching 6 figures for all the Cali and Washington schools. Must be a lot of Underwater Basket Weaving majors who end up taking really low paying jobs and/or moving to lower C.O.L states bringing those averages down

edit: and California Institute of Technology which confirms my suspicion about maybe some lower salaried majors bringing numbers down

Last edited:
I've heard of it but the only reason is because of how expensive it is which then prompted me to look into it.

Its a good college. A lot of people wouldn't know about most of these school unless you were applying with the purpose of getting into a top 50 liberal arts college/university.

My almamater is on the top 50 highest earning list. :nthat:

What school is that?

I go to Gardner-Webb.

Super ouch. NYU wanted like 20k a semester for online in their grad sports management program. I was like get all the way the **** out of here. But again, you attend the 2nd most expensive college in America only to graduate and 10 yrs later be making 70k. That's sub poverty in NY if you stayed, like literally somewhere below a NH apartment and homeless

Damn I was late to this, but you're fine Buc Em

My dad graduated from college when he was 30, started his own business when he was 35, and his net worth is now 7 figures and my pops ain't even 60 yet

Just remember, don't be scared to fail or of the opportunity, seize every moment, you will be successful if you keep on hustling

Back
Top Bottom