Flyknit Chukka Thread

Would you mind explaining a step by step process. Thanks....
Well first I took out the insole and laces, of course.

I used blue masking tape to protect the Nike tab on the front of the tongue (I would also use the tape to protect the edges of the shoes where the eyelets are to make sure there's no dye that gets there).

Next I used Black Kiwi Leather Dye from Walmart to dye to dye the tongue. It has a sponge applicator which makes things very fast. What I did was take the tongue out and pressed it against a table (With newspaper to protect the table) and pressed the sponge applicator against the tongue (which is on the table). It's pretty fast and simple until you get to the bottom of the tongue, which is when you have to carefully get dye on the edge of the sponge and get it where the tongue meets the shoe. 

It's okay if you get a little dye on the shoe or nike tab just as long as you get water to dilute it right away! It took me about 45 mins to do the first coat on both shoes. I let it dry and did a second coat to make it darker. 

The dye is water resistant (I tried rubbing it with a bit of water when dry) and when completely dry does not rub off on my hands. If the color wears out I'll probably try another coat. Not sure what would happen if I dunked the tongue in water though. 

Keep in mind that it makes the tongue reaaaallllyyyy stiff. I was a bit disappointed because it made the shoe fit a lot tighter. I went TTS and now I have to rock them without the insole in order to wear them comfortably with socks. Without socks, the insole is fine. Hopefully over time the tongue gets more flexible but I've only worn it 2-3 times since I've dyed it. 

I used blue masking tape to protect the Nike tab on the front of the tongue (I would also use the tape to protect the edges of the shoes where the eyelets are to make sure there's no dye that gets there).

Next I used Black Kiwi Leather Dye from Walmart to dye to dye the tongue. It has a sponge applicator which makes things very fast. What I did was take the tongue out and pressed it against a table (With newspaper to protect the table) and pressed the sponge applicator against the tongue (which is on the table). It's pretty fast and simple until you get to the bottom of the tongue, which is when you have to carefully get dye on the edge of the sponge and get it where the tongue meets the shoe. 

It's okay if you get a little dye on the shoe or nike tab just as long as you get water to dilute it right away! It took me about 45 mins to do the first coat on both shoes. I let it dry and did a second coat to make it darker. 

The dye is water resistant (I tried rubbing it with a bit of water when dry) and when completely dry does not rub off on my hands. If the color wears out I'll probably try another coat. Not sure what would happen if I dunked the tongue in water though. 

Keep in mind that it makes the tongue reaaaallllyyyy stiff. I was a bit disappointed because it made the shoe fit a lot tighter. I went TTS and now I have to rock them without the insole in order to wear them comfortably with socks. Without socks, the insole is fine. Hopefully over time the tongue gets more flexible but I've only worn it 2-3 times since I've dyed it. 

Thanks for this! I just bought a brand new pair off eBay for $55. Can't wait to paint them!

Since you're painting on a fabric (polyester in this case), I'd recommend a mixing the paint with a fabric medium so that it doesn't get so stiff. GAC 900 is the usually recommended.

That black tongue makes the shoe though, looks really good.

Since you're painting on a fabric (polyester in this case), I'd recommend a mixing the paint with a fabric medium so that it doesn't get so stiff. GAC 900 is the usually recommended.

That black tongue makes the shoe though, looks really good.

Do you think it's be possible to paint the tongue and tab white? Or will the color underneath show through?

Do you think it's be possible to paint the tongue and tab white? Or will the color underneath show through?
I've never done it myself, but i'm sure with enough coats you should be able to paint it white. Maybe paint both sides of the tongue?

I dont own a pair of these but they are ok. I have some lop top flynits. The all black and orange ones. Who knows I might like it later on. 

thanks so much

I ask cause i usually can go half a size down in other shoes like jordans, roshes etc
Half size down works for me. Fit so snug you don't even have to tie the laces and they stay on your foot. But, in the end, It helps to just go in a store and try for yourself.

Repped for the Night Factor Style code.

I also copped FSB's of Hanon yesterday, how did yaw get it at $85 shipped? Mine came out to $102... I'm in the US though... 

how do FSB's fit? i heard they were like a whole size big....

edit: nvm saw sizing info. unfortunately hanon doesnt have a 7.5 us.

im a true 8.5 in regular chukkas yall think a size 7 in FSB's would be overdoing it?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom