From 1995-2000, Was There Honestly A Better Rapper Than This Man??

1ea16445cca12ff6487134039fe066362d2c5694.x-png

Seriously, put aside all "stanism", biasness, and preconceived notions about who is "supposed" to be the best, and focus on rawtalent...You can't tell me that P wasn't the best spitting around this period. The Infamous, Hell On Earth, Murda Musik, HNIC, were all damn nearflawless (HNIC and The Infamous ARE flawless). I put it on everything that if P was a solo artist his whole career, he would be mentioned in the same breathBig, Pac, Jay, and Nas as one of the greats (Same reason why Pusha will never be recognized for his lyricism and wordplay)...

And yeah, before he went in, he had lost a step, but he still is no slouch. HNIC 2, Return of The Mac, and Product of the 80's are better than a lot of therap albums being put out these days....Prodigy + Alchemist =
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
pimp.gif

Thoughts?

um no nas and hov and KILLA were all in their primes in that period of time...so naw doggy

I would kinda agree if you just simply turn the topic title to Prodigy appreciation.
As far as the best within 95'-00'. No.

Originally Posted by solarius49

um no nas and hov and KILLA were all in their primes in that period of time...so naw doggy

You got a point with Nas.....As far as Jay and Cam go......
indifferent.gif

I don't know about the argument that P would've gotten more shine had he gone solo, because he did go solo and still didn't get that light.

I'm a fan of his music and agree that he's put out some bangers, but he isn't for everyone. He tried to get a little radio friendly one time
on Infamy, with that 112 single (horrible btw), but it wasn't really him.

Originally Posted by YoUNg bR3aD

Yes there was....

HOV

<>
roll.gif

If we're counting groups (I say that because you included The Infamous), OutKast pretty much crushed 94-00.

Ghostface?
nerd.gif

Blueprint dropped in 01, Black Album in 03... So Jay DEF wasn't in his prime...

Come Home With Me Dropped in 02, Dilpomatic Immunity in 03, Purple Haze in 04... Not Cam Either...

Stillmatic dropped in 01, God's Son 02... Not NaS

There was a 6 month period where this cat from Yonkers was hands down the BEST N rappin...

But all in all, I've been a HUGE Mobb Deep fan since 4th grade... Never thought P got his dues from these "new" hip hop fans... I remember thoselil gift exchange %#!! we had in elementry school, I remember gettin a $10 Best Buy gift card in 6th grade... Went out and copped Hell On Earth (on tape)...The cashier had to ask my step pops if he was OK with me gettin it since it had a "Parental Advisory" sticker
smh.gif
pimp.gif

When you factor in classic records, verses, and OVERALL consistancy...

UnclePhil won't like this thread.
laugh.gif

P was spitting some of the nicest verses for a good 3-4 years straight. Mobb Mixtapes were
eek.gif
eek.gif
back in the day. And its not even like P was some super lyricist... his lyrics just vibed with most of the tracks he was on.

Apostles Warning
G.O.D Pt III
Up North Trip

During that time....

Common,Black Thought,Pharoahe Monch,Andre 3000,Nas,Biggie,Redman,Big L,GZA>>>Prodigy

I made a thread somewhat on this topic before.

You can't take away what he was.

And P was a F'n ANIMAL.

Was he the absolute best? Ehhh, that's up for debate.

But he was definitely in the convo.

Originally Posted by mossman75

During that time....

Common,Black Thought,Pharoahe Monch,Andre 3000,Nas,Biggie,Redman,Big L,GZA>>>Prodigy

I cannot rock with this list at all, Like I said before, Nas is arguable but anybody else...nah, not so much.

Originally Posted by Harlem On The Rise

During that time....

Prodigy > ALL the Ns you just named...

indifferent.gif
Your Crazy and caught up in the hype. I give P all the props inthe world, Infamous is a classic indeed to the fullest but there is where it stops. Dude lost his step on Murda Muzik, his flow fell off, lyric wise hewasn't the same. Pound for Pound and raw skills those dude I listed are above P point blank

Originally Posted by NostrandAve68

UnclePhil won't like this thread.
laugh.gif

P was spitting some of the nicest verses for a good 3-4 years straight. Mobb Mixtapes were
eek.gif
eek.gif
back in the day. And its not even like P was some super lyricist... his lyrics just vibed with most of the tracks he was on.

Apostles Warning
G.O.D Pt III
Up North Trip

I'm on your mind like THAT?

Are you even male? You certainly don't act like one.

The question is so preposterous, it doesn't deserve an answer. P is nice with the words but represents where Hip Hop went WRONG. He is a case study inNapoleonic Complex. Overcompensating to the fullest. Like a lot of the clowns on here.

There were several better during this timeframe. Prodigy is only held in such high regard on this board. I rarely see him thought of thais highly anywhereelse. But I guess if NT'ers needed a hero, it'd be this guy.

Originally Posted by YoUNg bR3aD

Yes there was....

HOV

<>
laugh.gif

hova wasn't betta then prodigy durin da mid 90's STOP IT.

Nas, P, rae, BIG L, Pun, biggie smalls were all contenders.

jay-z was late to da party.

Originally Posted by Harlem On The Rise

During that time....

Prodigy > ALL the Ns you just named...

indifferent.gif
Your Crazy and caught up in the hype. I give P all the props in the world, Infamous is a classic indeed to the fullest but there is where it stops. Dude lost his step on Murda Muzik, his flow fell off, lyric wise he wasn't the same. Pound for Pound and raw skills those dude I listed are above P point blank

from 1995
That means
Illmatic
Ready To Die
SouthernPlayalistic
Resurrection
Stress:Extinction Agenda

Don't even count... So how can half them Ns be better than P??
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom