Giving Tip for Delivery?

living in brooklyn. i heard so many stories about a delivery going out to the projects where dude would get 2 cent tips and stuff. one time this guy told me he got 20 dollars in CHANGE just to pay for the damn meal. talk about high turnover rates for these locations.

Am I supposed to tip my barista when I go to starbucks?

Am I supposed to tip the cook who put in the work to make sure my food tastes good, or only the person to carries it from the counter to my table?

Am I supposed to tip the UPS, FedEx, or USPS delivery person when they put paper in my mailbox, or give me a package?

Am I supposed to tip the person at footlocker who checked to see if they had my size shoe and brought it back to me?

How does a culture pick and choose who gets wages above and beyond what their employer picks?

Am I cheap because I didn't tip the sales associate at best buy for getting me a monitor off a shelf and swiping my debit card?

Am I supposed to tip my barista when I go to starbucks?

Am I supposed to tip the cook who put in the work to make sure my food tastes good, or only the person to carries it from the counter to my table?

Am I supposed to tip the UPS, FedEx, or USPS delivery person when they put paper in my mailbox, or give me a package?

Am I supposed to tip the person at footlocker who checked to see if they had my size shoe and brought it back to me?

How does a culture pick and choose who gets wages above and beyond what their employer picks?

Am I cheap because I didn't tip the sales associate at best buy for getting me a monitor off a shelf and swiping my debit card?

All of those people get paid a base salary non-dependent upon tips except the highlighted. So all of those points are moot. If the persons job (usually only servers/, etc.) is below min. wage and dependent upon tips to raise above that, then you are supposed to tip.

I don't tip
I round it off to a whole number
If I order $6.50 meal, I give em $7
Tell em keep the change

I pretty much do this on delivery food orders. A dollar was cool in my book OP. Only thing that bothers me about not tipping like everyone says I should is that one person that would want to spit or do something grimy to my food just b/c I didn't tip, word to the grimiest thing you done thread.

most of the time restaurant employees work over 8 hours [especially chinese spots] on minimum wage. they live for the tips. >D

All of those people get paid a base salary non-dependent upon tips except the highlighted. So all of those points are moot. If the persons job (usually only servers/, etc.) is below min. wage and dependent upon tips to raise above that, then you are supposed to tip.

When I served tables at a restaurant i made minimum wage + tips.... and I have a few friends who are still in school who work serving jobs that get paid minimum wage + tips.

I don't know which employer pays less hourly than minimum wage and which does the minimum and i dont believe its my job to tip every crappy server I come across :lol:

I'm just playing devils advocate to rustle some jimmies

If I go to a restaurant and receive excellent service - Water never empty, given the various things I ask for in a timely fashion (extra napkins, side of ____, no ice in my drink, etc), the server is NICE, the server doesn't look like they hate their job, etc. - I tip really well, between 50%-100% the cost of the meal.

But i absolutely refuse to tip food servers anything if they rude, do not give me what i ask for, etc.

Its either a good tip for a good server or no tip for a bad server.

I tip 5 for anything under 35, above 35 I do 10. For 100 I do 20 , and 200 I do 50.

I tip deliverymen , bartenders, barbers, waiters, and usually put change in the jars near a register. I don't tip on to go orders I pick up

I tip 5 for anything under 35, above 35 I do 10. For 100 I do 20 , and 200 I do 50.

I tip deliverymen , bartenders, barbers, waiters, and usually put change in the jars near a register. I don't tip on to go orders I pick up
Above $35 is usually a $7-$10 tip anyway. I really just double the tax, that percentage stuff is too much work after a big meal. 
laugh.gif

I was never a great tipper, but being more in the industry you understand more. Servers, cooks and bussers actually split the tip, obviously servers get more, but it still get split. The other day I got a medium freeze from taco bellduring happy hour so it was $1, I asked her to mix the Baja blast and black cherry, and she always gives me tons of sauce so I gave her $5tip. She was so happy and it actually made me feel good. I work as a door guy and I get paid pretty well to just stand around and my regulars take care of me so I make it a point to do the same for others, good karma and for some a little extra goes a long way, just remember that

You tip your barber/hairdresser

You tip your mailman/garbageman during the holidays

You tip you cab drivers

You tip waiters/waitresses

You tip delivery men

These are things your parents should have taught you
People actually tip mailmen, garbagemen and deliverymen? Welp too late for me to start now.

Cab drivers only get a tip if they entertain me with small talk or help me take suitcases in and out of the car.

My girl get's mad when I tip well.
She doesn't want to understand that my brother's were once waiters and they'd tell me about how some people would tip little to nothing at all.
They always told me to leave 20% no matter the service. That's how people live.
Also, that if I wasn't going to tip might as well take it to-go.
My brother's waited tables when they were in high school.

Bad service no tip ,sorry not sorry. If this is how you make ends meet you need to provide good service. By good service i mean glass not empty for long periods of time (if at all) , checking if the food is good, and having a good attitude. I tip %15 or more if service is really good, but that is rare.

When I served tables at a restaurant i made minimum wage + tips.... and I have a few friends who are still in school who work serving jobs that get paid minimum wage + tips.

I don't know which employer pays less hourly than minimum wage and which does the minimum and i dont believe its my job to tip every crappy server I come across :lol:

I'm just playing devils advocate to rustle some jimmies

If I go to a restaurant and receive excellent service - Water never empty, given the various things I ask for in a timely fashion (extra napkins, side of ____, no ice in my drink, etc), the server is NICE, the server doesn't look like they hate their job, etc. - I tip really well, between 50%-100% the cost of the meal.

But i absolutely refuse to tip food servers anything if they rude, do not give me what i ask for, etc.

Its either a good tip for a good server or no tip for a bad server.

We're just talking man, no worries.

I don't know where you're from, but in Florida that is nonsense. If you are, in any form, a server at a restaurant you are getting the server "minimum wage" (which might be what you are confusing, they are still getting "minimum wage" but its a different threshold for servers) of like $5 and then tips, which are in theory supposed to get you above the $8 or w.e. it is these days.

I worked in the restaurant industry down here for 7 years and have never seen a deviation from that model.

Interesting to hear though that your people are able to get that full minimum wage + tips though, must be making cake.

Only time I don't tip when they take too long to deliver my food. But if they come quick and my meal was $12, I tip $6 etc

Last edited:
We're just talking man, no worries.

I don't know where you're from, but in Florida that is nonsense. If you are, in any form, a server at a restaurant you are getting the server "minimum wage" (which might be what you are confusing, they are still getting "minimum wage" but its a different threshold for servers) of like $5 and then tips, which are in theory supposed to get you above the $8 or w.e. it is these days.

I worked in the restaurant industry down here for 7 years and have never seen a deviation from that model.

Interesting to hear though that your people are able to get that full minimum wage + tips though, must be making cake.

Ah,

Perhaps it is because when I served tabled I was working in the silican valley here in California.... people get paid 10/hr+ for simple retail jobs at malls :lol:

It was my first job in college and I can assure you, I was making the state hourly minimum wage at the time.

it depends on how far it was. since your a cheap tipper . why don't you go to the establishment and order you're food.

For you to make a thread about how cheap you are,  its pathetic. then you are going to give him and extra dollar for his trouble don't be surprised he puts some special white sauce  in your clam chowder

You tip your barber/hairdresser

You tip your mailman/garbageman during the holidays

You tip you cab drivers

You tip waiters/waitresses

You tip delivery men

These are things your parents should have taught you

Agreed with everything besides garbage men. They get sooo much overtime during the winter in NYC and don't do **** during it. My garbage didn't get picked up for weeks at a time. Not a bad gig for 90k+ a year...

Back
Top Bottom