Got ROBBED in Downtown Oakland by some goons on Saturday Night...

What's up brajes, I just need to vent.

I've lived in Oakland for almost 30 years now and have never had anything like this happen to me or anyone I really know. I will try to keep it short.

Me, my girl, and 4 friends ( we are all white, average age 28 yrs old) were walking from our to car to the Fox Theatre area in Downtown Oakland Sat night about 7:30pm. Well lit area, we are around there all the time.

We get approached by 4 young black males (ages probably 18-25) on the sidewalk, they kind of flank and surround us. One taller, light skinned skinny dude, flashes the handgun in his waistband and pulls it out. Tells all the girls to hand over their purses, money, and cell phones.

At this point I'm in shock and don't move, the girls hand over their stuff. I don't hand over anything, it looks like they are in a rush to bounce but before they go the leader dude walks over to me, reaches in my front left pocket and snatches my new IPhone 5.

They sprint up the street hit the corner and they're gone. Cops show up 5 min later, we talk to them for 2 hrs and make statements.

Such a shame, I really thought my city was turning the corner in turns of a downtown-hipster-foody renaissance but the thugs will always be lurking. Thank god no one was hurt and it's all material stuff, but it just makes you lose that sense of security.

Anyone know any good reputable sites to get cheap smartphones or refurbished IPhones? Thanks for reading...

you dont have findmyiphone app?

Yea i do have the app, set up and everything. We tried to locate it with the cops IPhone right when they got there, but it said it couldnt be located.

I've heard different things, like if the phone is turned off the FindmyIPhone app wont work anyways. Or if the app is turned off, or if your ICloud is turned off. Goons probably shut the phones off right away.

Damn famb, sorry to hear that. Wish they woulda got caught and life in prison.

Mamma always told me, Boy count your blessings!  You are alive to tell the tale and I for one am glad you are!  Hopefully the police department can solve the crime and offer you some measure of justice.

Dont they have Conceal carry permits in Oakland ? If so utilize it.

Last edited:
name="diewitsjames" url="/t/528845/got-robbed-in-downtown-oakland-by-some-goons-on-saturday-night#post_17416338"]you dont have findmyiphone app?
Word if you don't have this by now. :smh:

scout the place out in the next days/weekend...these clowns will be around cause they dont know any better. trust me.

trust me if someone pulls out a burner on me, they better use it or make sure i dont get a good look at them

" dont pull them thangs out unless, you ready to bang" -3000

Sorry OP. These kinda things happen everyday. Don't be mad or ashamed cuz you did the right thing. You dnt knw what mind state these folks are in, because one hasty decision could've costed someone their life.

This probably won't be the last time. Always be alarmed and check your surroundings. I've been victim of a few attempted strong arm robberies. After this incident you'll be more cautious. Hope they find the fugitives.

Last edited:
Real talk, are you a hipster, or does your friend group look like an easy come-up for robbers?

I used to go to the art murmur every month and would see tons of drunk white hipster girls and frail looking men walking around that area late night like it was any other city. They always just looked so naive out there.

Dam!! Near fox theater too?! Crazy :smh:
Glad you're not hurt tho OP, let's hope they get what they deserve.

Damb.

All of my friends have been robbed, im still the only one who hasnt been. Not yet at least. I figure its bound to happen eventually.

Real talk, are you a hipster, or does your friend group look like an easy come-up for robbers?

I used to go to the art murmur every month and would see tons of drunk white hipster girls and frail looking men walking around that area late night like it was any other city. They always just looked so naive out there.

I'm 6"5, 250.

My homey is 6"2 220.

Our girls are just regular cute white chicks, I don't think any of us would be classified as looking hipster or frail.

Damn OP, at least you're all safe. You just have to be more alert and check for suspect goons. One false move could've cost someone's life, so your party played it the only way it could. Charge this one to the game.

This thread means a lot to me as a bay area resident. First off OP, glad to hear you weren't physically harmed.

The Bay Area is beautiful place, and is regarded by many as the BEST PLACE to live in America when considering quality of life, economic opportunity, etc. Having said that, the Bay Area is one of the Most EXPENSIVE places to live........and it kills me sometimes.

Not trying to turn this into an SF vs Oakland thread but......everyone wants to live in SF these days....EVERYONE. The rich yuppies, the hipsters, the artistic people, the banking professionals, pretty much, SF is the place to be. The rent prices definitely reflect that, and the rent prices are the highest I've ever seen in the city.

Considering the above, a lot of people have logically considered Oakland a good alternative to SF. Oakland is great because:

1) You can get to SF in 15 minutes via public trans (BART) or driving. 

2) The weather is better than SF. It's always 10 degrees warmer and clearer skies. 

3) Oakland is beautiful. 

A lot of the artistically talented people who don't make much money off their craft have moved to Oakland because the cost of SF is so high. As a result, a lot of the real talent that made SF so cool in the early 2000's has left and gone to Oakland. In many ways Oakland now has a lot of the vibrancy and talent that SF has lost replaced by a bunch of rich yuppies and finance people. 

But there has always been these kind of things holding Oakland back. Oakland has the POTENTIAL to be a Brooklyn, it really does, but things like this keep holding it back. I love Oakland and the East Bay in general but I just can't see myself moving back there until these types of things don't happen as frequently. 

I'm sorry to hear that man. I know the exact area that happened. On the bright side, at least no one was harmed.

Back
Top Bottom