Grey market discussion thread (Let's keep the discussion mature) Rules on pg 1 please read before yo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone explain why my GM Royals are made with a completely different material?

As you all know, I am a firm believer of the GM phenomenon, but my experience with Rstor's Royals made me question my belief that these so called "unauthorized" pairs are made from the same factory as the authorized ones.

I have spoke to two other people as well, and their pairs were similar to what I received.

My agent even told me that they don't look as good as the pics on the website.

I would understand if the problem was a simple misalignment or bad stitching job.

Can anyone explain why my GM Royals are made with a completely different material?

As you all know, I am a firm believer of the GM phenomenon, but my experience with Rstor's Royals made me question my belief that these so called "unauthorized" pairs are made from the same factory as the authorized ones.

I have spoke to two other people as well, and their pairs were similar to what I received.

I would understand if the problem was a simple misalignment or bad stitching job.
This is just my opinion on that, but there hasn't been a restock on Royals.  That means Nike didn't produce that many pairs overall like other Jordans .  That would mean there isn't as much leftover material for the workers to make unauthorized pairs with, which is why I'd guess you're seeing decent quality fakes but not actual GM Royals.  Of course, that wouldn't stop Tao Bao sellers from calling them authentic even if they know they're not.  It's buyer beware on there.

doesn't apply for this situation.

having someone come out of the blue for a thread that's been running for months saying "don't ruin it for the rest of us?" :stoneface:

rest of us lurkers? :smh:

ruin what? these great prices for black market shoes? they gonna raise the prices to what? what are they gonna do?

We no want your money since you ask many questions?

Its like having a convo with some people that's been going on for a while and some random dude steps in and says, don't ruin it for the rest of us because you are one of those dudes.... who are you again?
Sounds like a reseller lol.

This is just my opinion on that, but there hasn't been a restock on Royals.  That means Nike didn't produce that many pairs overall like other Jordans .  That would mean there isn't as much leftover material for the workers to make unauthorized pairs with, which is why I'd guess you're seeing decent quality fakes but not actual GM Royals.  Of course, that wouldn't stop Tao Bao sellers from calling them authentic even if they know they're not.  It's buyer beware on there.
I hold the same opinion. Grey market royals weren't abundant until well after the initial release. The FEW pairs I saw before they were everywhere were literally snuck out of the factory because Nike was supervising the production. Same thing happened with the NA 3s. I've seen dozens of GM royals and the leather doesn't look great.

I agree with those comments above. But we can't really be 100% sure.

Cost-cutting perhaps? Or he sent the better looking royals first, then after making a name he started to send royals that are badly made. It can also be that he had bad pairs on stock, those that were of really worse quality (just like my pair), and he sends those to people without agents because he thinks the buyer won't raise a complaint since it is from overseas and may cause additional payments.

I still can't accept those royals I got. Worst royals posted in here smh.

They're different materials because they're fake. Simple as that.

Yeah those gm royals look worse each pic. Real sloppy. The beauty of this years 1s opposed to say bred xi, they are way more limited. Chances of there being similar materials for gm pairs is slim. Kindve why i can spot that sock liner on every crap pair. Every pair looks the same and you would think by now they would have all the glitches figured out.
My point from earlier. Pics ive seen of bred xi's look pretty good. Most people would miss those little flaws. A glitch on the sole or something is no big deal really unless u are looking for it. Thing is those shoes from a creation standpoint are pretty advanced so i gotta give credit to these gm pairs. That said, when we start talkin royals, there is no excuse. How can they not get a 1 right.

Thats not how manufacturing works. Nike doesnt provide the factories with the raw materials to make shoes. They either make it themselves or have contracts with other factories that make those materials and they purchase them in bulk. Even if the materials ran out for the original production run, its as simple as restocking supply. Theres gotta be another reason theyre not doing it. Something about those shoes isnt cost effective. Hence why nike didnt request to have many made and why these factories arent using the proper materials to make them.

To me this isnt GM, thats just straight up replicas.

Last edited:
Like I said before the Jordan 1's with the hang tags are fake and it seems 100% accurate since all the ones we see right now are very off.

Thats not how manufacturing works. Nike doesnt provide the factories with the raw materials to make shoes. They either make it themselves or have contracts with other factories that make those materials and they purchase them in bulk. Even if the materials ran out for the original production run, its as simple as restocking supply. Theres gotta be another reason theyre not doing it. Something about those shoes isnt cost effective. Hence why nike didnt request to have many made and why these factories arent using the proper materials to make them.

Yeah but when the supply dries up whos gonna foot the bill for supply restock. Not Nike. They probably use scraps and cover other stuff they dont have with cheaper material. They arent going to keep pumpin these out.

Nike has the money and make the money quickly on the quality product they put out. Anything else those factories do is not nearly as funded and will be flawed.

Like I said before the Jordan 1's with the hang tags are fake and it seems 100% accurate since all the ones we see right now are very off.
I haven't seen any retail pairs with the weird card with Asian characters that comes in a lot of GM pairs.

I think my point still holds true in that Nike didn't order many pairs to be made, so not much material is left over to be used on these.  Obviously the material can be bought, but it's not cost efficient for them to do that when they can just make a bunch of unauthorized pairs out of materials leftover from bigger Nike orders.  If they need to get more material, they might as well make bootlegs instead and cut costs.  I don't doubt that the Royals costed more to make though.  The quality difference compared to other recent Jordan 1's is quite noticeable.  I agree that these pairs being sold are likely straight replicas too.  

Yeah but when the supply dries up whos gonna foot the bill for supply restock. Not Nike. They probably use scraps and cover other stuff they dont have with cheaper material. They arent going to keep pumpin these out.

Like I said that's not how manufacturing works. Supply doesn't just "dry up". Think of this way. Lets sat it takes 5 things to make a shoe. 4 of those things are 4 different colored leatheres. And the 5th thing is the sole. Lets say for the sake of this example the Nike factory makes the soles themselves. They then purchase the other leathers from a factory or factories that produces those leathers and they buy it large amounts. Unless there is only one place in the world that makes that kind of leather and for some reason that place shut down or is refuse to sell that material to factories there's no reason they wouldn't be able to get more.

Who's to say Kinstor doesn't call up the factory and "contract" 10000 pairs much like Nike does?

Last edited:
I think my point still holds true in that Nike didn't order many pairs to be made, so not much material is left over to be used on these.  Obviously the material can be bought, but it's not cost efficient for them to do that when they can just make a bunch of unauthorized pairs out of materials leftover from bigger Nike orders.  If they need to get more material, they might as well make bootlegs instead and cut costs.  I don't doubt that the Royals costed more to make though.  The quality difference compared to other recent Jordan 1's is quite noticeable.  I agree that these pairs being sold are likely straight replicas too.  
That's not true at all. These shoes cost just as much to make them authorized as they do to make them unauthorized if not cheaper because they don't have to pay for quality control.

The entire premise of these grey market shoes they're the same shoes. And that's why they sell for the price they go and not 68 dollars like replicas. These people are well aware of the market value for a shoe and making them real should prove to be way more lucrative in the long run because once word gets out they're not the same people will stop buying them. That's what leads me to believe there is just something about the shoes that made them not produce them with the right materials and probs why Nike didn't have so many made.

Last edited:
That's not true at all. These shoes cost just as much to make them authorized as they do to make them unauthorized if not cheaper because they don't have to pay for quality control.

The entire premise of these grey market shoes they're the same shoes. And that's why they sell for the price they go and not 68 dollars like replicas. These people are well aware of the market value for a shoe and making them real should prove to be way more lucrative in the long run because once word gets out they're not the same people will stop buying them. That's what leads me to believe there is just something about the shoes that made them not produce them with the right materials and probs why Nike didn't have so many made.
You don't think that having extra material on hand plays a part in making unauthorized pairs?  The material is already there and if they don't use it to make unauthorized pairs, it just goes to waste.  These factories simply wouldn't do that and throw something away when they can make money off it.

Nobody is disagreeing with you on the Royals being not cost effective to produce.  The material used is definitely higher quality than the typical recent Jordan.

You don't think that having extra material on hand plays a part in making unauthorized pairs?  The material is already there and if they don't use it to make unauthorized pairs, it just goes to waste.  These factories simply wouldn't do that and throw something away when they can make money off it.

Nobody is disagreeing with you on the Royals being not cost effective to produce.  The material used is definitely higher quality than the typical recent Jordan.

I think that does happen. But I don't believe they just go based on the supply of materials they already have. I think most grey market shoes that are available are extended and continued production runs. And they keep on pumping them out as long as they keep getting materials to make them. They keep it on hand so production doesn't stop. Either that or they just made so much that their just sitting in a giant wearhouse and pull from stock whenever they need too. But if its anything like manufacturing in the US they order the raw material to fill a certain quantity plus 10% or so overrun. When they're close to reaching the end of the materials (not including the over run) they order more material for the next quantity they need to fill.

Last edited:
Kickstarter idea:

Fund my trip to China to try and uncover the GM factories and parties involved. Make a documentary.

That would actually sell huge right now. I bet u if you had credentials and pitched to the right media outlet they would fund your trip.

Credentials meaning graduating with a journalism degree, spoke Mandarin and had on job broadcasting experience.

Because they aren't GM. They can't be GM if they aren't the same materials.

Those Roylas really changed my perspective and opinion on this market.

Some shoes remain the same and appear to be identical. Those Royals aren't one of them. There were GM pairs posted on here a few months back and they looked IDENTICAL. These are just a new run with different material or just a re-up from another factory that makes super high quality fakes.

I know a lot of you guys that bought Royals and I've spoken to you personally, I'm not judging your purchase or calling anyone out. But I just can't say they are true "GM" when they are that much different. I'm not gonna put myself in denial when it's clear as day.

That sucks tho. Royals for $200 was like mega exciting lol.

Sounds like a good hypothesis. The leather on those looks just like the leather on the Chicago 1's... A lower quality, shinier leather. Wouldn't be surprised if they're using left over materials from those.

Just a thought.

^^ Join date don't mean ****.
Thank you. I've been NTing for over a decade, I don't have to explain myself to anyone. But that join date tactic is what people like to use when they get told. I've seen it for years. Defense mechanisms and all that.

Anyway, like I was saying. You being "that guy" and annoying Kinstor is not a good look. If I was him, I'd be pissed too. Hell, I've been pissed off by people doing that to me when I've tried to move my old stuff on eBay etc.

The prices are the prices and you know the risk you're taking in buying from these sources. Find out what you need to know from reviews/NTers, or wait until the box shows up at your doorstep.

Wouldn't be surprised if the GM sellers instituted a minimum order policy because of dudes like you. I'm not going to go back-and-forth with you though, there has been enough arguing throughout this thread. Just try to think about your actions before you act.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom